WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2001, 11:35 PM
Enthusiast
N. Calif

Hails from United States
Opinions please...

Since I don't have the proper paper right now, nor enough pencils to do much, I thought I'd do a white horse--on white! (It's not finished.) Was wondering what color the background should be when all of a sudden I kinda liked it as is! What do you think, can this stand alone, with maybe a med blue or gray (smaller) oval mat? BTW, you've created a monster here...
Shirl

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2001, 12:52 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Calgary, Alberta Canada

Hails from Canada
Hummm. I think it's kinda getting lost in all the white. Maybe if you beefed up the shadows a bit more?.

What you gotta try is some coloured Canson paper. You get a colour thats the mid tones in the horse and then the shadowa and the highlights just pop out. It's so cool. I'll have to post a couple I did this way.

Twyla

All my work is copyrighted and may not be copied or reproduced in any form without written permission from me.

Elegant Equines photo Reference CD NOW available:
www.kodiaknet.com/ironhorse/photocd1.html
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2001, 02:29 AM
San Tan Valley, Arizona

Hails from United States
hee hee hee!!!

graphite or color .......... graphite or color........ graphite or color.....

!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems to be getting lost a bit in this scan? i agree beefing up the shadows a bit -

i can't tell, but have you added the reflective colors from the sky etc.? They may help pull your white horse from your white background.

yes, try colored papers - but you normally use smooth bristol??? you may not like the texture of the Canson Mi Tientes papers, look at them real close before hand

coming along great!!!!

TJ
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2001, 02:48 AM
Enthusiast
N. Calif

Hails from United States
Thanks Twyla and TJ. I have beefed it up quite a bit, almost too much for a white horse. You know, can't keep the hands off when you should . I'm not going to do a left outline of the horse's face either.

The Mi Tientes paper--everyone seems to love or hate it! I think I like smooth so I can blend a little.

TJ--ya kill me! I just sit at my drawing table and wonder -- should I use graphite now or CPs!! Yes, the horse is full of browns, blues and grays (that's all I have LOL). I think the photo is bad because of the mat picking up most of the color.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2001, 08:29 AM
Enthusiast
Sydney, Australia

What a lovely looking horse. In some ways I like it how it is... sort of left in a sketchy/unfinished style, but I also agree that he is lost on all that white paper. I would have suggested leaving the horse as is, and adding a slight background - almost not there... (with the same colours or very similar colours) just behind his head on the left... Of course I don't really know that much about this sort of thing, I tend to never put backgrounds on anything I draw if I can help it

At the moment I am trying out some Stonehenge paper - before now I've never used anthing but Windsor and Newton paper that comes in a sketch pad... Let me tell you, that Stonehenge is pretty damned good

Let us know how you finish this picture
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2001, 12:35 PM
A Local Legend
Indiana

Hails from United States
Even 'white' subjects have lots of color variations to them, and it looks like you are capturing that quite well! I like it on the white background, I think if you deepen the shawdows on it more it will look just awesome that way

Keep up the good work!

Ivy
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2001, 03:21 PM
San Tan Valley, Arizona

Hails from United States
LOL!!!

I only know that chant because I say that too!!!!! Here is a new one for you:

need more pencils........need more pencils.......need more pencils!!!

I prefer a smoother paper too - I seldom "burnish" my cp's anymore, because I prefer the saturation of many layers of color instead. ( I have a very light hand ) And i don't like the texture of the paper to distract from that in the finished pic - graphite or cp.

pretty much you'll just have to experiment and find what you like

looking for the final post soon ( because you seem to work so fast!)!!!

TJ
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2001, 07:18 PM
A WC! Legend
Perth Western Australia

Hails from Australia
I love it, "Less is More" it is lovely with the white background. (I am hopeless at backgrounds.) Leave as is I reckon. It's gorgeous.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2001, 08:50 PM
New Bern, North Carolina

Hails from United States
Talking

I vot for less is more, of course, by now you may have already done a bit more! The horse is beautiful, very romantic, I think!
Thanks for letting us see it, do more, want to see more!!!!
Helen
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2001, 05:30 PM
nj usa

Hails from United States
yes less is more in your case you have captrured the essence