WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-26-2019, 02:53 PM

Re: Kitsch, “high art”, “low art”

I believe there IS a difference between "high" and "low" art, but it's like religion, there are few one can discuss it with.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-26-2019, 03:03 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

To Ashkenazi Jews, olive's stuff would be a collection of chotchkes.

Here is just one collection of my sweetie's. My sole contribution is the Donald Duck night light.

We cannot define anything precisely. If we attempt to, we get into that paralysis of thought that comes to philosophers, who sit opposite each other, one saying to the other, "You don't know what you are talking about!". The second one says, "What do you mean by know? What do you mean by talking? What do you mean by you? ~R.P. Feynman
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2019, 03:00 PM
A Local Legend
Joshua Tree, California

Hails from United States

I recently got rid of a ton of chotchkes. I'd been dragging them around my whole life while the were just collecting a lot of dust in all the homes I lived in. I decided it was time to live more minimally, but I still have a few things here and there. I haven't unpacked everything yet, but I have a lot of childhood toys that sit on my desk: push puppets, a Fisher Price dog from the barnyard set, a small rocking horse, a plastic bulldog (these items have a huge sentimental meaning to me), a tin wind-up wiener dog, and isn't that enough for the desk? In the bookshelf there's too many things still left in there too. Some old Bazooka gum, then a sculpture I made out of a chewed piece (ew!, I know, right?), some old toy cameras, a lot of stuff like Olive has in terms of the two headed girl: the "dog-faced boy," "Lobster Boy," and that sort of crap, I have a print of the Benefit of Mr Kite hanging in my studio, which is a prized possession, some weird Swedish pottery (maybe not so Kitsch, but just sort of "Matisse-looking," a hallow human bone carving with a wood-carved "head" on top of it (I'll try to get a picture of that one). And many other kooky things. I also have a finger puppet collection--something I haven't told too many people about.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2019, 05:01 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

My sweetie has gotten better about it. She won't buy anything costs more than five bucks. But this house is still ruled by her chotchkes, and not all of them are kitsch. Nice collection of small Japanese lacquer ware, natural history stuff, mineral specimens and so on.
We cannot define anything precisely. If we attempt to, we get into that paralysis of thought that comes to philosophers, who sit opposite each other, one saying to the other, "You don't know what you are talking about!". The second one says, "What do you mean by know? What do you mean by talking? What do you mean by you? ~R.P. Feynman

Last edited by musket : 07-27-2019 at 05:04 PM.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2019, 09:12 PM
Enthusiast

I think there is a new kind of kitcsh - well-known works that have been stripped of all meaning, history, context and reproduced on postcard to murals, coffee cups and t-shirts. a few examples

There is a case to be made that this is a good thing, repurposing masterworks of yore. But my point is not that it is a good or bad thing per se, but to point out that it could be considered part of today's kitsch since it elicits the same kind of response and serves the same function as traditional kitsch.

Last edited by theBongolian : 07-27-2019 at 09:21 PM.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2019, 09:18 PM
A WC! Legend
A large urban setting in the Mid-West

Hails from United States

I believe there IS a difference between "high" and "low" art, but it's like religion, there are few one can discuss it with.

We're all ears.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2019, 09:34 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlukesguild

We're all ears.
I'm making the point it's not about the work, but how it's used, perceived in the culture - context.

There are works that are generally considered kitsch because they have been consumed in large doses in that context. So when new works are created that have similar elements - subject matter, style, palette, etc. - they are often considered "kitsch" by association. But many "kitsch by association" works never actually function as kitsch "proper" in society - are even unknown by the public.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2019, 09:53 PM
A WC! Legend
A large urban setting in the Mid-West

Hails from United States

You are speaking more along the lines of what Walter Benjamin spoke of in his essay, The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction. I was responding to the post made by BeLing.
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2019, 11:22 PM
Lord of the Arts
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

I like garden gnomes.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2019, 01:02 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

It’s so nice to see that I have buddies here who treasure chochkes. I have a collection of them from around the world. All the places I visited. And it will keep on growing. I love them. And five bucks is not the limit.
Are they all kitschy?? I hope not.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2019, 01:18 AM
A Local Legend
Joshua Tree, California

Hails from United States

#42   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2019, 02:38 AM

I'm not sure I'm really qualified to have an opinion... I've never got to where I really get modern art and the meta-meta-self consciousness of it. While prettiness not necessary, in my old-fashioned opinion it's nice to have some.

But you get kitsch like in kincaid with "Just Too Much". Mountains, sunsets, streams, cottages, flowers, etc. pushed to the most sunsetty, the most cottagey, the most moutainy, with extra flowers and a little bridge... as contumacious said, if it goes too far suddenly your teeth are on edge.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2019, 02:46 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by john
I like garden gnomes.

I am still looking for that perfect gnome for my own place. I'll gnow him when I see him. :-)

Should you ever visit our local tourist traps here, you can have your pick of kitsch with a local flavor:

A great deal of this, mind you, is hand crafted, albeit to a formula. When it's mass produced, chances are that your souvenir of Africa was in fact made in China.
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2019, 08:29 AM
Lord of the Arts

I agree that paintings like "Girls with a Pearl Earring" have become kitsch.

On the other hand reproduce Hairy's top left photograph in his post above (#40) in oils and put it in a gallery or museum as a still life and it would become high art.

Sometimes I think context matters. Arty posted an interesting collection of objects. Put any of them in an art museum and they are potentially fine art. Put them in a natural history museum or cultural museum and they are folk art and cultural artifacts. Offer them for sale in a tourist trap and they are kitsch. Same objects, different context.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2019, 09:17 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Brianvds, believe it or not, I lived in your “Cry the beloved country” too! I had a magnificent place in Sea Point. True! Sold it and moved on.... The crime did not agree with me... Sorry! I do have a few chochkes from the beloved country. I’ll post photos here.