WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2018, 12:39 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Re: The recent painting that you like.

#47   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2018, 01:00 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Another Adrian Ghenie
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2018, 01:30 PM
A WC! Legend
A large urban setting in the Mid-West

Hails from United States

Of course these artists all also sell in the 7 & 8 figure range:

-Chuck Close

-Gerhard Richter

-Gottfried Helnwein

I suspect a good many other polished realists are at or near the same price range, including most Pop Artists, and surely Andrew Wyeth... to say nothing of Ingres, Degas, Vermeer, Courbet, etc...

And this ignores the fact that the monetary value of a work of art says very little about its greater artistic value. It only speaks of the financial worth that a very small group of extremely wealthy collectors place upon art as luxury items. Jeff Koons and Damien Hirst rank among the highest priced artists, yet the “value” of their art is certainly debatable.

One might easily agree that Rembrandt, Turner, and Van Gogh are greater painters than the majority of the “Little Dutch Masters”, Constable, Reynolds, or Toulouse-Lautrec... but is this because the looser painterly painters are greater... more “expressive”... or is it merely an example of cherry-picking examples for comparison. What if we replace the “Little Dutch Masters”, Constable, Reynolds, and Toulouse-Lautrec with Vermeer, Durer, Velazquez, Leonardo, Michelangelo, Bernini, Raphael, Ingres, Degas, etc...?

Art has always been about more than technical ability... although a mastery of form and craftsmanship certainly impact how a work of art is perceived. Personally, I find the notion of “pouring ones soul” into a work of art to be absolute bunk (that may be a discussion in itself). A work of art may trigger an emotional response in the viewer... but these responses vary from viewer to viewer. The greatest works of art often strike me as the least likely to be limited to a single interpretation, but rather are open the diverse and often opposing points of view.

A good deal of the emotional response that many find in Rembrandt and Van Gogh have as much or more to do with the “tragic” narratives of the artists’ lives. It is intriguing how some of Van Gogh’s paintings... rendered in the most brilliant and saturated colors that one might interpret as joyful if painted by another artist, are interpreted as tragic and expressive of internal turmoil in light of the knowledge of Van Gogh’s biography.

A good deal of the feeling many find in art also owes more to the subject matter than to the actual art. As Rodger Scruton pointed out in the essay Brian posted: “sentimentality is like this – it redirects emotion from the object to the subject...” Cezanne’s apples, Morandi’s bottles, and the whole of Abstraction (among other works) would seem to argue that “meaning” or the value of a work of art lies far more in the form (and this would include craftsmanship and technical ability) or the HOW than in the subject... or the WHAT. Thus a painting of pretty flowers or a beautiful woman is beautiful, while Lucian Freud’s paintings of a less-than-attractive model must be bad painting.

Last edited by stlukesguild : 08-28-2018 at 01:42 PM.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2018, 03:02 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Can't believe I forgot:
Just got back from Chads Ford Pennsylvania and visited the Wyeth museum.....oh my goodness. What a feast:

Andrew Wyeth:

NC Wyeth:

Jamie Wyeth

Howard Pyle: fabulous illustrator

#50   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2018, 05:40 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Would love to see that Wyeth Museum! The favorite art book that I own is on the art of the Wyeths. Well I do enjoy my Bev Doolittle books too but for true art, I have to say the Wyeths.

I pressed the space bar but I'm still on earth!
My work on Facebook
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2018, 06:04 PM
A Local Legend
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica

I would love to see it too. I particularly like the portrait by Jamie Wyeth.

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2018, 09:56 PM
A WC! Legend
USA

Hails from United States

The awesome work of William Wray

&

&

&

http://williamwray.com/bio/

https://whitehotmagazine.com/article...-painting/3759

~
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2018, 12:18 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

BlueRiderMan: Those are indeed very nice. They remind me a bit of the work of David FeBland, an artist I ran into on Instagram.

And then there is David Hockney, 150 years old and still going strong:

A closer winter tunnel, oil on 6 canvases 36 x 48 inches each

There's a documentary about him on YouTube, showing him doing these huge plein air paintings on multiple canvases. Actually looks like a lot of fun. At least until the wind starts blowing... :-)
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2018, 06:56 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Black
Wow, I didn't realise that this thread would turn into a bashing of abstract art...I wonder what it is about it that makes people so angry.

I don't see anyone angry and I don't see not liking certain abracts as abstract bashing. I like good abracts, I have owned many. I'm equally against any art that is pretty much mediocre whether it's abstract or any other genre. surely even good abstract artists find that bad abstract art only lowers the standard to abstract being a joke in many cases.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2018, 09:26 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Fair enough, Ian... although somehow I don’t see DeKooning or Guston as being mediocre or bad abstract painters.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2018, 09:30 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlukesguild
Fair enough, Ian... although somehow I don’t see DeKooning or Guston as being mediocre or bad abstract painters.

Help me out then, tell me what's good about their work?
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2018, 10:07 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Ian, again I doubt any discussion of the development of Guston or DeKooning... or Abstract Expressionism... or formal analysis of what I see in the work... is likely to change anyone’s opinion who finds the paintings visually uninteresting or ugly.

Personally, I far prefer the Guston. DeKooning’s earlier paintings were far better in my opinion. The Guston painting seems to grow out of the lightest washes of color ala Bonnard toward an image that is almost blossoming. The limited palette makes for a lovely color harmony. The composition is inspired by the grid format of Mondrian... but Guston approaches this in a far more organic manner... not unlike Mondrian’s earlier pre-Abstract tree paintings. The work is free-form... intuitive... like jazz... or late Monet... without any representation of a literal landscape. Seen in person, the surfaces of the Guston paintings I have seen are both juicy... and glow.

And now back to the OP and recent paintings we like...
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2018, 10:27 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Over the past month or so I have saved at least 500 images to my iPad. The vast majority of these have been photographs: figure studies, portraits, studies of hair and hands, fashion photographs, landscapes, architecture, patterns, and some random images I saved solely for the color. In all of that there are perhaps a couple dozen images of paintings... few being really recent discoveries.

But then there is Olivia Kemp. She is a young British artist (I can’t find an actual age or birthdate, but considering the dates of her formal studies I would guess she’s in her late 20s). Her medium of choice is not paint, but rather pen and ink. She creates large drawings of architecture in a landscape setting that are rooted in studies of real works of architecture and details from life studies of nature... but are fantasies or inventions. In a way, her drawings remind me of some children’s book illustrations or even the work of David Macaulay. She is an up-and-coming young artist, showing with several prominent London galleries including Saatchi, teaching at the Royal School of Drawing and currently exhibiting at Buckingham Palace.

She is an artist whose work I want to watch develop.

More of her work can be found on Instagram @livvykemp and at:

https://www.oliviakemp.co.uk/

Last edited by stlukesguild : 08-29-2018 at 10:31 AM.
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2018, 10:48 AM
A Local Legend
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianuk
I don't see anyone angry and I don't see not liking certain abracts as abstract bashing. I like good abracts, I have owned many. I'm equally against any art that is pretty much mediocre whether it's abstract or any other genre. surely even good abstract artists find that bad abstract art only lowers the standard to abstract being a joke in many cases.

I really wasn't just referring to your comment alone Ian.

#60   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2018, 10:51 AM
A Local Legend
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlukesguild
Over the past month or so I have saved at least 500 images to my iPad. The vast majority of these have been photographs: figure studies, portraits, studies of hair and hands, fashion photographs, landscapes, architecture, patterns, and some random images I saved solely for the color. In all of that there are perhaps a couple dozen images of paintings... few being really recent discoveries.

But then there is Olivia Kemp. She is a young British artist (I can’t find an actual age or birthdate, but considering the dates of her formal studies I would guess she’s in her late 20s). Her medium of choice is not paint, but rather pen and ink. She creates large drawings of architecture in a landscape setting that are rooted in studies of real works of architecture and details from life studies of nature... but are fantasies or inventions. In a way, her drawings remind me of some children’s book illustrations or even the work of David Macaulay. She is an up-and-coming young artist, showing with several prominent London galleries including Saatchi, teaching at the Royal School of Drawing and currently exhibiting at Buckingham Palace.

She is an artist whose work I want to watch develop.

More of her work can be found on Instagram @livvykemp and at:

https://www.oliviakemp.co.uk/

Wow, I love her work, very different. Not many artists can say that they are exhibiting at Buckingham Palace. It looks like her future is secure in the art world.