WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2018, 02:57 PM
Lord of the Arts
L.I., New York

Hails from United States
Re: Are there digital artists on the level of the Old Masters?

To answer the OP, yes, certainly there are genius digital artists that make amazing art. They are often unsung, like the people that create those CGI effects in the movies. It's beautiful amazing stuff. Look at Coraline or Avatar. They often have a team working under their direction as did the masters of older art.

Perhaps the lines are blurring these days, as more great artworks are from team efforts.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2018, 06:24 PM
A WC! Legend
Kansas City, Missori

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raichu
[

The intent is not to run a competition, it is to find the most remarkable of the medium.

You don't think that "Gollum", in Peter Jackson's LOTR, was genius-level work?

(I do...)
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2018, 10:44 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by john

Perhaps the lines are blurring these days, as more great artworks are from team efforts.

Absolutely.
We cannot define anything precisely. If we attempt to, we get into that paralysis of thought that comes to philosophers, who sit opposite each other, one saying to the other, "You don't know what you are talking about!". The second one says, "What do you mean by know? What do you mean by talking? What do you mean by you? ~R.P. Feynman
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2018, 02:35 PM

Hails from Brazil

MarialenaS

The masters were used as a reference because they are collectively considered reference, but that does not mean one can't evaluate the higher standards of art with personal criteria.

As for your second point, I don't see software delevopers setting standards for digital art. Rather, as Armadillobelly pointed out, the industry market. I also think that, considered what the common base of software usually gives, the lack of minor features don't truly limit what can be done in the medium.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2018, 02:51 PM

Hails from Brazil

Quote:
To answer the OP, yes, certainly there are genius digital artists that make amazing art. They are often unsung, like the people that create those CGI effects in the movies. It's beautiful amazing stuff. Look at Coraline or Avatar. They often have a team working under their direction as did the masters of older art.

I certainly don't doubt the existence of great artists nor the potential for the greater to arise. What I wish to know is who are them that, if not making art groundbreaking enough to settle a new visual identity in visual art, as the most influencial do, are good enough to have "mastered" the language.

People like Craig Mullins, of whom I have never heard before this thread, not just "10 most amazing digital artists" headlines, which in fact means "10 very good digital artists".

Keith Russell
I had not even though about gollum in artistic terms. I would have to see more of artist's work to have an opinion. Gollum may be a very good creation, but it didn't struck with me.

Last edited by Raichu : 04-30-2018 at 03:03 PM.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2018, 03:52 PM
Immortalized

For me, digital art is a technology, it may be used by artists to create "art" of some form, but I cannot in good conscious categorize it in the same league as other traditional art mediums. There very well may be some users of digital art that are very, very good and produce some interesting and wonderful work - but one working on digital art can easily always undo, edit, recolor, blur, etc, etc., in a matter of seconds if they don't like or want to change something. In fact, they can start over unlimited amounts of time, in a very short span of time, whatever it is they are trying to create, especially those who have mastered their chosen technology. Not so with traditional art mediums. Traditional art requires a lot more thought and time - no ctrl-z (undo shortcut) for the traditional artists.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2018, 01:01 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Eldorado, Artist John Emmett
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2018, 01:05 PM
Lord of the Arts
Elgin SC (work in Savannah)

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFMartin
One cannot create with pixels on a screen, the actual appearance of paint on a solid substrate, whether the art be of the modern-appearing type, or of the more traditional subjects, as the old masters created.

The manipulation of paint, the appearance of layers, and glazes just cannot be duplicated with pixels on a screen, and those subjects seem to lack the "dimension", or "depth" of real paint on a substrate--especially oil paint.

While I am not really answering the posts question so I was tempted not to write, I have to disagree with this comment and similar ones.

I have seen many examples where there are multi layering, and very deep and rich pieces of work. it still requires the ability to draw/ compose, understand light, contrast, values, and so on. The best example I have seen, and I sure wish I could find it again I should have book marked it. is while on hiatus, Jeffrey Catherine Jones, did a first time ever digital painting. She then gave an in depth discussion about the properties and such. I swear you could not tell the oils from the digital. It was amazing. of course, Jeffrey was an exceptional artist. She did state at the end that although it surprised her how like minded the digital painting was to manual painting, she would not do it again. just due to the feel of the process if I remember correctly. I think if you have never done or spent time really looking at such, folks to tend to blow if off. IDK, just another point of view.
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2018, 03:24 PM
Lord of the Arts
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by contumacious
There is some really beautiful digital art being created. I can appreciate and enjoy work done in digital mediums, be they 2D or 3D, but for me, prints made from them have very little to virtually no intrinsic or monetary value. Once I am done viewing them, I move on, sort of like a website, newspaper or a magazine. I also have no desire to have any of them in my art collection or on display in my home. The same goes for photography whether digital or analog, despite my having been a professional landscape / nature photographer for decades. I am significantly less interested in creating or owning digitally produced artwork and photography now than I was 10 years ago. This is just my own personal thing, not something I think others should emulate. Nor do I look askance at those who think or feel otherwise.

Original, hand made, one of a kind art is pretty much the only type that I am drawn to. I am pretty dang good at digital painting. I enjoy it and use it for exercises, but there is no way I would spend more than a few hours on any one piece and I would likely never offer it for sale.
  • Would I like to own a black and white photo printed by Ansel Adams himself? Absolutely for the historical and nostalgic aspect mainly. Would I be willing to pay the market price for one? Never.
  • Would I like to own or buy a print of a digital painting that I liked, done by the most "famous" digital artist in the world? Nope. Not even if they gave it to me.
  • Would I like to own an amazing 3D printed sculpture done by the most famous artist in the world? Sure if it was free or maybe not more than $25. Would I keep it on display in my home? Maybe for a few days. Eventually it would end up be in a drawer or box or being sold, given away or thrown out.
This was the only thing I could find on expensive digital artworks:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...l-time/379556/

I would enjoy seeing links to more high dollar digital artwork, be it in digital or hard copy format, that has actually been sold as a work of art.

This goes to the heart of it, and thanks for the honesty. Photos are great but paintings are still more popular as wall decor. And I'm sure you have made some great photos. There is just something about a painting, especially an original. Why?

Same thing with a digital "painting". They are great but most of us would still want an original traditionally made painting. Why?

Last edited by john : 05-02-2018 at 03:27 PM.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2018, 06:10 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

Quote:
This goes to the heart of it, and thanks for the honesty. Photos are great but paintings are still more popular as wall decor. And I'm sure you have made some great photos. There is just something about a painting, especially an original. Why?

Same thing with a digital "painting". They are great but most of us would still want an original traditionally made painting. Why?

It is all about uniqueness. An original painting will be always unique. A printed digital painting will be always one of the reproductions of the original.

Same of course applies to the reproductions of an original painting which reproductions/copies, no matter how well and accurately are made, are actually posters.

This though shows how the art market opened the door for the sales of copies when it made certain artworks of certain artists, luxury or investment items.

What I mean is that if you can't buy the original, you'll end up with a high quality copy, but the copy is always a copy and if you can buy a unique original you are going to prefer this from the copy as it will be unique.

In digital art though whatever you get in a physical form, will be always a reproduction that doesn't cost that much to be produced and doesn't show on the surface the time the energy and the skill that the artist who made it, invested in order to create it.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2018, 08:24 AM
Lord of the Arts
Elgin SC (work in Savannah)

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarialenaS
What I mean is that if you can't buy the original, you'll end up with a high quality copy, but the copy is always a copy and if you can buy a unique original you are going to prefer this from the copy as it will be unique.

In digital art though whatever you get in a physical form, will be always a reproduction that doesn't cost that much to be produced and doesn't show on the surface the time the energy and the skill that the artist who made it, invested in order to create it.

Very true and well put.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2018, 10:36 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Amount of money that art sells for is shocking, says painter Gerhard Richter

Richter said that an original work of art had barely any meaning for him and he had many reproductions hanging in his studio.

Last edited by JohnEmmett : 05-03-2018 at 10:38 AM.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2018, 05:07 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEmmett
Amount of money that art sells for is shocking, says painter Gerhard Richter

Richter said that an original work of art had barely any meaning for him and he had many reproductions hanging in his studio.

The auctions that he is talking about are those who destroyed the art market and made people not want to buy originals but copies. Because the majority of people consider now the originals only as future investments instead of hand made items that can beautify their everyday life.

This investment attitude harms the marker because all sales are taking place only on the extreme levels of prices and promotes the sales of copies in other words the mass production of specific artworks. And in the in between levels there are no sales at all, depriving this way the artists who are trying to make a living from their art, from any decent income.

As for what kind of artworks are sold in the auctions. Check here to see what we are talking about.

http://artwatch.org.uk/page/2/
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2018, 06:27 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

This is true of many things other than art which are bought for investment. Art just fetches the most absurd prices.
We cannot define anything precisely. If we attempt to, we get into that paralysis of thought that comes to philosophers, who sit opposite each other, one saying to the other, "You don't know what you are talking about!". The second one says, "What do you mean by know? What do you mean by talking? What do you mean by you? ~R.P. Feynman
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2018, 07:26 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by musket
This is true of many things other than art which are bought for investment. Art just fetches the most absurd prices.

I'm not saying that this doesn't apply elsewhere. But when it applies on art then it applies on a cultural level too.
What I'm saying is that when the average person can't buy art - because it is way too expensive- or avoids to buy original art because the artwork that is not in the auction, is not supposedly a good investment, then deprives himself from whatever an original artwork can bring to his life.

The average people buy copies because they are cheaper - let's say the copy of the painting of an old master or a modern artist- but these copies are reproductions of all of the same more famous artworks.

In digital art now this tends to be the default mostly due to the nature of this kind of art. Who is going to buy a printed version of a digital artwork and for what purpose? It is neither an investment, nor unique and the copy doesn't even worth the price that you'll pay to buy it. You can print it yourself that's what I mean .. it is not that whatever is printed on the paper shows the craftsmanship or the skill of the artist who made it.
It shows only the features of the application/program that was used to make it, that depend on the company/developers who made this application. Anyone with the proper knowledge on how to use these applications can make digital art.

Check these websites. ( I picked them up randomly from google images).
https://www.this-is-cool.co.uk/the-s...f-hugh-pindur/

https://abduzeedo.com/fantastic-digi...itry-zaviyalov

https://www.demilked.com/17-year-old...-t1na-croatia/

It is not that the artists lack of imagination or skills but their artworks lack this personal touch that you can only get on hand made artworks.

Add to this the current condition of the art market and then you'll be able to see why digital art - and its artists- will never be comparable with traditional art ( and artists).