WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#406   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2019, 10:47 PM
A WC! Legend
A large urban setting in the Mid-West

Hails from United States
Re: What are you listening to . . . (reprise)

I went to my doctor yesterday for a check-up. I ended up getting a test for a range of motion in my wrist, and an X-Ray as well as a blood draw and a Shingles vaccine... which hurt like a bitch. I ended up taking Ibuprofin thre time today until this evening. We sent out for pizza and ended up drinking 3 or 4 good beers followed by bourbon and whiskey while listening to country gospel.

Thank God for spell check!

Last edited by stlukesguild : 09-13-2019 at 10:53 PM.
  #407   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2019, 11:25 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Johnny Cash singing "Personal Jesus"!
  #408   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2019, 11:26 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Loretta Lynn: "In the Sweet Bye and Bye"

Last edited by stlukesguild : 09-13-2019 at 11:45 PM.
  #409   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2019, 12:22 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

I suggest either slowing down on all that whiskey, or putting up music with a bit more spice than country to go with it, like, say, Wagner. Or Gesualdo.
  #410   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2019, 08:25 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

I wasn't certain that Bernstein... best known for his interpretations of Romanticism (Mahler) and Modernism would be a great conductor of Haydn's classicism... but when I saw a grossly inexpensive box set of Haydn by Bernstein I just couldn't pass it up. It turned out that Bernstein's Haydn is among the finest available. Currently listening to the great Theresienmesse or the Mass for Maria Theresa of the Two Sicilies, empress consort of Francis II.

The empress herself was the soprano soloist at private performances of both The Creation and The Seasons in May 1801 at the Viennese Court.
  #411   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2019, 12:57 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Bernstein never ceases to surprise and delight, though with Haydn and his contemporaries I have come to prefer "historically informed" performances.

I have long wondered why no one since Bernstein has taken up his baton when it comes to public education. What did he call those concerts again I can't recall now, but he would give a little lecture on some aspects of music and then illustrate by performing a piece or two. Even decades later, those lectures are as interesting and refreshing as they were then.
  #412   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2019, 02:54 PM
South Africa

Hails from South Africa

More of a rocker/old school metalhead but I listen to mostly everything - variety is the spice of life. This week's favourites were some old blues: Howlin' Wolf (amazing vocals), Skip James (great guitar).