WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2016, 11:11 AM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States
#2 My Favorite Things

I was sitting stewing about something to paint. Can't get around like I use to not to mention that I'd probably get lost. Been in Texas now for almost three years,and still get lost even around where I live...then it hit me I have never considered doing a series kind of thing, but the idea of painting my favorite things kind of appealed to me, sooooo this is number two. Love dance especially ballet, this is the beginning of a class, warm ups. Photo not very good and I apologize, my "real"camera works but my "real computer doesn't....ha-ha
FYI background actually a huge window area, dirty city window I might add..ha-ha. There are skyscrapers hinted at but photo kind of washed out, sorry.

Anyway, critiques always welcomed. Acrylic, 11x14

Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better. André Gide Forum Projects: Plant Parade projects in
Florals/Botanicals,
Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.

Last edited by noodle1 : 08-26-2016 at 11:29 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2016, 11:28 AM
Victoria, Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada
Re: #2 My Favorite Things

Wow Elaine this is beautiful. You have a knack for pushing your work towards realism while leaving it very natural looking and not overworked.

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2016, 11:42 AM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Elaine: Love the subject, the composition, mood....everything.
If you get a better photo, please post....wonderful painting my friend.
Derek
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2016, 11:43 AM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

Wonderful painting!

mkmcreations.com *** My Acrylic Gallery
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2016, 12:41 PM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

Colin...that makes me stop and look. I never thought about that before and for me that's one of the most beautiful comments I've ever received. Thank you my friend.

Derek ...That's like winning a gold medal for me. You know how much I admire your talents and your comment to me is one from someone I consider a master
at what he does. Thank you so much my dear friend and yes I will figure out how to get a better shot. Hugs E

Michelle people whose talent soars and find my efforts worth such a generous
comment well that's a day maker. Thank you my friend!

Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better. André Gide Forum Projects: Plant Parade projects in
Florals/Botanicals,
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2016, 01:00 PM
Enthusiast

You have managed to bring a fresh take on an old subject. Degas would have been proud of you. This piece is elegant yet gritty. The black curves on the left hand dancer against the stark horizontal background makes the work transcend as a beautifully abstract composition. IMO This is one of the best paintings I have seen in a long time and there have been many good ones.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2016, 01:08 PM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

You have taken my breath away leaving me speechless, which is not easy to do.
I am complimented and humbled. Thank you for the comments and insights,
greatly appreciated!

Florals/Botanicals,
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2016, 02:18 PM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States

Perhaps titling it At the Bar would garner attention from the non-dancers? My mother taught dance, including ballet, in the 50's & 60's, and this work evokes those memories. The only thing missing is the mirrors.

R/Mike
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2016, 03:43 PM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

Hi Mike...there were more then two dancers too but as I didn't include the mirrors I didn't include the other dancers either. If I ever repeat this memory I will consider those mirrors, would make for an interesting comp indeed.
Your mom taught dance so you definitely are aware of the surrounding I'm sure.
I'm pleased this stirred some memories and I'm pleased you took the time to
write here. Good name for the painting,actually hadn't thought about a name but I agree, would surely get attention even from none dancers...ha-ha
Thanks Mike!

Hugs
Elaine

Florals/Botanicals,
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2016, 05:01 PM
Lord of the Arts
Louisiana

Hails from United States

I read that what galleries like and Museum like to see. a series of paintings by the same artist. show they have a subject matter to get all the ends and out of. to bring it to full circle in your mind and the people that looking at them. show you are focus on your work. So I read anyway. who knows but with your art as it is any gallery and Museum would take it.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2016, 05:09 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Spectacular! .......... Dance - another thing we have in common!
Love that you made them at the warm-up - no glamour, all the paraphernalia associated with having to come to a lesson and back to life later ........... and how I wish I was still as supple as these two!
My dance lessons were not in large spaces but a room in a house - big enough! ...... (and back then there weren't even leg-warmers or trousers for girls!)
I like the echos of verticals and horizontals with the added flexibility of human form.

I also like Mike's idea of adding to the title .. so .....

#2 My Favorite Things: At the Barre.

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2016, 05:14 PM
A Local Legend

you belong on Madison Ave, young lady, not the hills of Texas....the detail is stunning....even the folds of the baggage.....you haven't lost a step, it must be all those 'brussel sprouts' your digesting...

please, keep them coming....they are a delight for our eyes so happy to see your creative talents being utilized again...BIG HUG!...
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2016, 10:25 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Just echoing what's already been said. Wonderful painting.

And yes, more please.

Oh, and which one is you?
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2016, 01:05 AM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

Joco...notice you are from Louisiana, prayerfully not in the flooding areas.
I can only imagine the pain and anguish. The pipes burst in my walls the winter of 2014, I was in the hospital at the time and tho that doesn't compare with the devastation in Louisiana I do have a bit of understanding of the Heartbreak and loss. My thoughts and prayers remain with the people of Louisiana.

Thank you for taking the time and interest to share what you read, very nice compliment that you would think my work would be accepted, more so that you would think that, that's the best compliment ever!
Take care, and thank you for being so sweet.

'"

Florals/Botanicals,
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2016, 01:18 AM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

Maureen actually not surprised you studied dance, always found the talented artists had no problem stretching that talent into other forms of artistic endeavors and you are a talented lady...so thŕt said do think we should put an act together and go on the road... 😉 Glad you liked the informal take, some were divas on stage then there was me, the one who just wanted to give it a go....haha
but must admit they didn't make me feel silly.

Thank you dear friend and I still have my leg warmers if ya find the need for some....
Hugs
E

Florals/Botanicals,