WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#121   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2017, 05:21 PM
Lord of the Arts

Re: An Invitation to Beginners in Pen and Ink

Hmmmm... well don't embarrass me with a brush pen - I can do nothing at all with them !
  #122   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2017, 01:21 PM
Mafra, Portugal

Hails from Portugal

An experience with markers on my 6 x 8" sketchbook. Are markers admissible?

Last edited by calabash : 08-22-2017 at 02:15 PM. Reason: the post is out of place
  #123   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2017, 01:30 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Thank you for posting Raindrop - and I especially like the tree - whihle I know it's 'dead', it almost has a life of its own!.. some lovely marks, patterns and light strokes on the grass.
again, int he bridge/landscape there are some lovely marks and tones. I like the stonework of the bridge and the boulders - not so keen on that cross-hatching on the right of the bridge, but it's all about learning! As you say, with this medium, no ifs and buts - we live with our marks!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #124   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2017, 03:21 PM
Enthusiast
Greater London

Hails from United Kingdom

Thank you, Calabash and Maureen!

Maureen, I definitely agree with you about the cross-hatching. Definitely a "whoops!" moment. I'm surprising myself with how much I love the risk I take each time I draw with ink. (Admittedly a small risk. It's just paper.) I've always been rather shy in terms of drawing and what-not. Ink doesn't let me do that. It's great.
  #125   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2017, 03:36 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

It's one of the reasons I like to sketch with pen - any kind (except brush pens) .... somewhere in the mass of lines the correct one lurks! ...... much livelier than uasing pencil and being tempted to erase!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**My SAA website**
  #126   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2017, 11:38 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

I have dabbled on and off in pen & ink but never got much beyond scrumbling bushes. I am making a more concerted effort to learn pen and ink techniques. I normally hang out in the Scavenger Hunts in the Art from Life forums so this first effort, beyond exercises, was done as part of the current Hunt. It included 3 items for the Hunt and was done in a journal style. (IPhone, tissues and squash) Rectangles are ATC sized. They were done using a Lamy safari EF and Noodler’s Antietam ink.

Distortion is due to iPad camera. Mostly focusing on hatching and cross hatching. Working on learning to use the pen to better control line quality.

Any and all comments are welcome as I know I have a lot to learn.

Joe
  #127   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2017, 05:59 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hi Joe, GREAT - you already know it is going to take a "concerted effort " !

First I think that you may want to consider composition, - you are not taking photo's but doing a drawing - So for now at least include the whole outline of any objects within the "picture"frame.
Clarity is one of the great strengths of P&I & the close crop in these drawings , chopping objects up might not make the best start.
Think of it as a still life , carefully arrange objects within the frame , some foreground ones overlapping the background objects to create an impression of depth.

Hatching & crosshatching are SHADOWS - therefore only use them as such, to do this you must have a very clear idea (a pencil arrow line) of the direction of the light. If you can set up the "studio" so light comes from this ONE direction.

Draw directly without pencil guide lines using the front /normal way of using the Lamy BUT put the shadow in using the back of the nib used with a light touch. the lines need to be closer together too - it will read better as shadow.
Practice making blocks of shadow with the back of the pen nib on scrap paper - faster is neater I find !
I definitely think that still lives are a very good place to hone your craft.

Have a merry Christmas
Mike
  #128   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2017, 08:08 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Thanks Mike. Wrapping my head around the idea that hatching and cross hatching are ‘shadows’ as I think of hatching (cross contour) as shape. This will take some thought to sort out my preconceived ideas.

Again Thanks
Joe
  #129   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2017, 09:06 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Welcome Joe!
Mike has good advice!
Looking at your drawings here I can understand why you feel there's a difference between your view and a P&I artist's view!
It seems you currently draw just to describe an object in isolation rather than an object and it's relation to others!
Try to think of how we perceive form and the form of individual items in relationships.
We see objects because of light ..... because of the way light hits and reveals shape, form, texture.
What we then try to do is use a pen line to describe each of those elements .... fine lines, heavy lines, quick lines, deliberate lines .... all kinds ...... what you are building is TONE, because tonal values build 3-dimensionality.

As Mike suggests, do exercises to learn to build a range of tones ... by hatching or even cross-hatching and let your mind and hand develop your preferred 'look'.

There are some excellent artists in the forum so do please view their work and see if what weve said here then makes sense to you!

**My SAA website**
  #130   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2017, 09:35 AM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Thanks Maureen. I have been browsing the threads and also picked up a book that uses a style I like. (Pen and Ink: A Simple Guide by Alphonso Dunn.) I have been going the exercises in the book, learning the pens, and studying drawings I like here in the forum.
All advice is deeply appreciated.
Joe
  #131   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2017, 06:35 PM
Greenville, SC

Hails from United States

Alphonso Dunn also has a you tube channel, that is helpful.
  #132   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2017, 09:45 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Thanks Wayne. Was not aware, will look it up.

Thanks again
joe

Dang, he has dozens of great videos out there. THANKS WAYNE!!!!

Last edited by jmfletch : 12-27-2017 at 10:14 PM.
  #133   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2018, 08:37 AM

Hello everybody. This is a picture I did of some flowers. I'm looking to get better so any suggestions or criticisms of it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom
Attached Images

#134   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2018, 10:36 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

A warm welcome to you Tom!
You've made a very good start and I like the curl you have on that right, front leaf.
You have a good range of tones - though where a leaf curves over, as in those back leaves, the top is likely to catch any light around and so be lighter - or even white.

You could also cross-post this to the Florals and Botanicals forum here as you're allowed to post the same work in two relevant forums. Her's a link - Florals forum - but you can reach any forum on site by using the forum Jump at the bottom of any page.

**My SAA website**
  #135   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2018, 11:29 AM
Lord of the Arts

Well it looks great Tom ! some very nice techniques & a real feeling of perspective & light too -excellent.
I think the composition could be improved but it's not meant to be a finished picture so that doesn't count in this case. !

Cheers Mike