WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#91   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2017, 08:04 AM

Re: An Invitation to Beginners in Pen and Ink

Here it is an example, made some mistakes but i would appreciate some comments.

#92   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio_B
Here it is an example, made some mistakes but i would appreciate some comments.

Someone else can probably give you a better critique but I really love the way you rendered everything on this tree from the trunk to the branches to the leaves. I honestly don't see any mistakes.
  #93   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2017, 12:15 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Sergio it looks good to me, not a totally realistic tree, but that is fine it still conveys the feeling of "tree"

My only comment is that it is hard to figure out where your light source was, and you might add some darker values to some areas in the leaves, that said I know scanners sometimes don't scan the true range of the drawing so look at your original and judge it.

Most artists prefer to render outdoor scenes at a time of day when the sun is toward a horizon and shadows are long, early morning, or late afternoon, much more dramatic and easier to render, besides in 2 dimensional drawings shadows help to create the illusion of depth.

Just another something to keep in mind while drawing
  #94   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2017, 04:48 AM

Thanks for the comments. I agree with you Kathy, that is also my feeling.
Those were the "mistakes" mentioned before.
I just drew with no true reference, as a practice exercise.

Lot to improve still for me but looking forward.
Regards!
  #95   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2017, 10:04 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Sergio

Hmm, you might try drawing some trees from reference photographs, each species of tree has its own typical growth pattern, some people (not me ) can tell the species of tree simply from looking at the bare branches, I can sort of tell the difference between and oak and a maple but that is about as specific as I can get. Well there are probably a few others but I am sure you get my meaning. Once you have drawn a few from references you will have a better mental image of a tree so will make fewer "mistakes"

Have fun.
  #96   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2017, 07:27 PM
Lord of the Arts

Yes I think Kathy has put her finger on it ,you need to learn from reality (a photo or a whole lot better- out of doors .
Don't get me wrong , I can plainly see there is much to recommend to your drawing - honestly, but when you really look at a subject & draw what you actually SEE - you learn & your understanding of it grows in leaps & bounds.
Even if your personal artistic direction lies in ultimately not observing directly- your rapid progress will in fact rely totally ON depend on very intensely observing directly.
Then you may find lots of different ways of saying a" TREE "! , many quite divorced from a photo but instead speaking more deeply & with insight.
BUT you have to understand the essence of a tree first & I believe that is best done by direct observation - Otherwise you can only draw vague memory & thought - what else ?

OK, here's some of the answer you wanted ! Trees come down to a definite ground level , there is no sitting on a hillock they merge into the ground.
There is always a shadow that they cast on the ground ,you should draw it
- it makes them "rooted".
As others have said light direction should be constantly held in mind.

Yet I can't shoot this drawing down entirely at all, it does have something , - often people never get to understand that a tree in P&I can not be drawn in it's full splendour of summer time fecundity- it's like a cotton wool ball !
In P&I you've got to draw trees in their spring thinness & not their summer abundance. I think your drawing approaches this & is to be commended for it, a bit more direct observation of light & branch structure /weight & this would be "THERE!"
Mike.
  #97   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2017, 04:03 AM
Belgium

Hails from Belgium

Instructive remarks Katwalk and PedlarsPen. Thank you !
Sergio_B, you choose the right way to learn drawing.
Success!
  #98   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2017, 10:04 PM
Geneseo, IL

While I was at Chick-fil-A tonight, I sketched this candle. 6x9 on acrylic paper. I know the candlestick base is askew, and the wax blob on top is slightly above the candle's lip. The blob was a post-add and I wasn't paying attention. Chick-fil-A was busy! I would appreciate your comments and suggestions.

170521 - Candle
  #99   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2017, 10:54 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

John, I know I'm late to this but while I appreciate the speed-drawing and like the two colours, I do think you need to study drawing ellipses - unless the shapes of the holder really are like this!

It's worthwhile practising drawing elliptical shapes of all sizes using your arm, as opposed to your wrist, to make the continuous movement .......... sitting back from the drawing and allowing the arm space to move. Try making the movement above the paper and then gradually lowering the arm and continuing the move as the point touches the paper

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #100   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2017, 04:49 PM
Geneseo, IL

Never, ever too late! And thank you! I love your suggestion! I tried it using a red pastel pencil that I brought to work. Ha! Practicing has filled a couple of pages and rubbed off onto the desktop after I flipped the paper to use the reverse. And then my fingers...

I am quite new to pen & ink, and marvel at the precise and fine work presented here. I don't have the patience nor the time, hence the speed drawing. I wondered if there was a name coined for that.

Sketching with p&i has been fun and challenging! My glasses do not fully correct for my astigmatism at times. When I get home from work, I am going to practice some more, but with pen. Especially to step away from the work to sketch. Later I will attempt this piece again.

Thank you Charlies Mum!

Oh, and wishing you a pleasant PI Day today!
  #101   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2017, 10:33 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Anytime John!
If I can help, or if you have questions, just send a PM to ask 'em or direct me to a thread you might be posting in.

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**My SAA website**
  #102   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2017, 02:05 PM
Geneseo, IL

I sketched this over lunch today.

170751 - Candle. on 4.5 x 6 acrylic paper
  #103   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2017, 09:12 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Much better ellipses!

Now, that base one - always draw it in total first and you'll avoid those points!

**My SAA website**
  #104   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2017, 01:23 PM

Hails from United Kingdom

Now concentrating on pen and ink for one year and try to learn techniques.
Any comments would be helpful.
  #105   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2017, 01:36 PM
Minnesota

Hails from United States

How EXCITING to see a pen and ink nature enthusiast!