WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2015, 10:29 PM

Question Help! How do I do this in scratchboard?

Hi everyone, I really need some advice on technique to produce this shiny car bonnet (not the hood ornament, just the smooth finish on the car). I thought maybe steel wool, but does anybody have any better ideas? Thanks!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2015, 01:14 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Waldport, Oregon

Hails from United States
Re: Help! How do I do this in scratchboard?

Send a note to Rodman or Matthew Jarrett or Ann Ranlett. They are all awesome at doing smooth and beautiful!

You can do this and it will look awesome. Also, check some of the stickies, there might be something about doing chrome in there which will lead to information on the smooth metal look.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2015, 01:57 PM
Enthusiast
Loveland, OH.

Hails from United States

My methods may not translate well, as I have a rather backwards approach, but I do have a few suggestions...
1) When I'm doing super-smooth metallic surfaces, I never try to portray the texture of the metal, rather I let the reflections do so for me. In your photo, both the kitty and the jaguar give great texture to the bonnet itself, as well as defining its shape. Large areas of smooth surface are quite difficult to render consistently, so I tend to go with a less-is-more approach.

2) For the areas that must be scratched, or for a more photographic approach, as you'll see in the pic above, I tend to use my fibreglass brushes for the best compromise in tonality and texture. I will warn anyone new to the FG brush of two things: a: it takes TONS of practice, and b: vacuum your workspace constantly. One little fg filament embedded in the soft flesh under your eye is enough to last you a lifetime.
3) For the brighter areas like the upper right corner of your photo where the light has almost whited out the metal, I would very carefully clear the entire area to white and add layered washes back in, scratching out my highlights, to get the tone I wanted. There are many areas on this next image where I took that approach.

There's also a good object lesson in this piece, as you can clearly see in the fender area where the clouds are reflected where I scratched too deeply as I was clearing the board. Use gentle strokes or a very fine steel wool or sandpaper, or, no matter how many folks rave about it, you'll always see what you consider this huge black eye in the piece.
4) Lastly, I usually mix all of these concepts in each piece, and the result can be pretty cool. Just remember that my answers aren't necessarily your answers, and I still find myself making it up as I go rather than using any special "technique":

Whatever you do, you've chosen a terrific photo to do, and just have a boatload of fun with it!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2015, 02:53 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Uruguay

To get the Slick, your looking for on the body panels/painted pieces. 1st.... I'd do this on clayboard.

If I couldn't.... I'd remove all ink from the body panels.... Making sure to clear out the factory swirls, that would show up later. I would airbrush or viva paper towel in the tones. Adjusting/correcting with FG/steel wool. Oh, I'd use Sumi ink, I think it's a lil easier to manipulate.
Great image..... Yours?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2015, 06:39 PM

Thanks everyone, fabulous advice. I have already started on scratchboard, so stuck with the medium. I do have rubbing alcohol, so could strip it back and wash in tones. 😄 those swirls are the worst!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2015, 12:46 PM
WC! Guide
Northern California

Hails from United States

Great image and you've already gotten good advice.

I've done some chrome (and love doing it!), but only one piece with that satin finish.

I used tattoo needles and various shades of grey Pitt artist markers, although washes of ink would have worked too.

I posted a WIP of the piece here: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1367705

Ooops, forgot . . . the real WIP is here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...05411602827320
The WetCanvas thread is more of a discussion about the drawing with a couple of images.

Here's the finished board.

Web Site - Pet Portraits - Facebook

Last edited by PaintDog : 09-26-2015 at 12:48 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2015, 06:40 PM

Thanks every one, fabulous advice... the rubbing alcohol has definitely worked very well to strip off the ink. Here's the progress so far. I'm yet to wash the greys back in - let's see how it goes!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2015, 08:05 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Uruguay

Looking right on track. Next... Personally speaking, I would lay this down flat. After making sure they swirls are out. Because they will show up in the next step. .... I would pretty much SOAK that part of the board. Airbrush, spray bottle and paper towel dam, paintbrush, Charlie's Poor Mans Airbrush ( Chamois ), Or?. Even if you are going to airbrush those panels, the water will help even out ANY way you put the ink back in. Paintbrush, Viva, poor mans , ect.
Start thin and built it up. You got this.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2015, 08:14 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Uruguay

I forgot to mention than there would be a longer drying time expected, and or Force drying. Barbecue Grills are Out! Hair drier, heat gun ( don't go crazy ) , heat lamp, direct Sun.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2015, 08:23 PM

Thanks Rodman! The alcohol removed all signs of the swirls (thank goodness) - it's just difficult to cut into the edges I am wanting to keep. Will give it all a really good swipe over and make sure all the black is gone. Then the fun begins! It's great weather here in Australia at the moment, so drying time should be quick. Cheers.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2015, 08:41 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Uruguay

Loved Oz! Patrick and Family Host me for 5 weeks 1 1/2 year ago? Did you see the demo pieces or others I did in your beautiful country?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1348231

Last edited by Rodman : 10-08-2015 at 08:45 PM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2015, 09:15 PM

I've only been scratchboarding for a year, so still catching up on work that people have completed in the past! It's a growing trend now in Melbourne, as it becomes more readily available. We're all waiting for 2017 when they bring the ISSA exhibition to Patrick's home town of Adelaide...