WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Student's Dorm
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2012, 12:12 AM

Hails from United States
Re: Virtual Art Academy

I agree with the other posters on this course. It's very informative, and gets to the fundamentals and at the heart of making art, rather than a "how-to". The beauty is, I get really busy with work and as a graduate student, and have to put art aside for awhile. With this course, I can go as fast or slow as I want...also, it is nice to see the exercises completed by other students on the board, and the wonderful feedback. The courses, videos, and exercises are very organized, and dense with information.

I would really recommend this course if you are looking into getting into painting - If I had done this years ago, I would have saved a lot of time, money, and frustration.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2012, 10:41 AM

Montreal Art Schools

Im from vancouver, spent a year going to Van Arts studying Animation, it was great, lots of fun i learned plenty, and will be taking everything i learned with me to use later. But Animation is not entirely my passion. Im hoping to Take Illustration, and Painting, perhaps some general arts to dabble in a few things just so maybe i could find something im really passionate about. I am definitly planning on relocating to Montreal in a year or two and was wondering if anyone could help point me in a good direction as far as schools go. Thanks!!!
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2012, 07:06 PM
Honolulu, HI

Hails from United States

I can recommend the Virtual Art Academy for sheer honesty and integrity. I signed up with great enthusiasm for their $499 course. I got into reading some of the PDF files and realized how intensive it was. I became concerned that with my hectic schedule at work I needed to pace myself and that I would not be able to take full advantage of the membership right away. Please understand, there was nothing wrong with their material, only my ability to utilize their program at this period of my life. They have a 30 money back guarantee which I took advantage of and they dutifully refunded my money. I plan to be a monthly member and take advantage of their full instruction when my work schedule slows down a bit. Having read horror stories about online instruction rip-offs I wanted to share the news that this firm is honest and true to their word. I recommend them highly.

Last edited by hnlartist : 07-08-2012 at 07:08 PM. Reason: grammatical error
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2012, 09:44 PM
New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
Question Online Art Schools?

Hello

I'm just finishing off high school this year and have been thinking about taking an art course or attending an art school on line next year. I wonder if anyone can recommend the best online art school? I really like realism and impressionism and would like to learn more in depth about the skills and everything that makes a good painting or drawing.

It's rather confusing on the internet looking and wondering if they really are what they say so I thought I would ask if anyone on WC could recommend something.

I have heard Virtual Art Academy is really good and have looked over the site, but would like to know all the other options before I commit myself.

Thank you very much if you can help.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2012, 10:36 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada
Re: Online Art Schools?

Some other lessons worth checking out:

http://artacademy.com/ (for Portrait Drawing)

For landscape painting try the video lessons by Johannes Vloothuis:

http://www.northlightshop.com/johann...ideo-downloads

Johannes also has a forum here at Wet Canvas:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=522

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felicity ffaith
Hello

I'm just finishing off high school this year and have been thinking about taking an art course or attending an art school on line next year. I wonder if anyone can recommend the best online art school? I really like realism and impressionism and would like to learn more in depth about the skills and everything that makes a good painting or drawing.

It's rather confusing on the internet looking and wondering if they really are what they say so I thought I would ask if anyone on WC could recommend something.

I have heard Virtual Art Academy is really good and have looked over the site, but would like to know all the other options before I commit myself.

Thank you very much if you can help.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2012, 09:27 PM
New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

I really want to do this but I am only a high school graduate and would need a student allowance to study and be able to live. In NZ you have to be enrolled at a proper school or college to be able to get a student allowance. How can I get around this? Would I have time for a job while doing the course?

And how long dose it take to complete VAA?
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2012, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felicity ffaith
I really want to do this but I am only a high school graduate and would need a student allowance to study and be able to live. In NZ you have to be enrolled at a proper school or college to be able to get a student allowance. How can I get around this? Would I have time for a job while doing the course?

And how long does it take to complete VAA?

Hi Felicity,
The Virtual Art Academy program is self-study so you can work on the lessons and assignments at your own pace and to fit in with your own schedule. There are no deadlines or any set times when you have to work. Also you can go through the lessons as fast or as slow as you want. This means you could easily get a part time job and work on the lessons as much as you can in your free time.

At a fairly steady pace of one lesson per week there is about four years worth of material in the course, but you could do it faster - in about two or three years. The program comes in two parts: the lesson material which explains all the concepts and procedures for painting (about 50 course units in the nine Building Blocks, organized into about 200 lesson topics). And the set of assignments you work on to consolidate your learning (about 250 structured assignments). Some of the assignments you repeat many times (like the color studies), over the course of your study.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Kind regards,
Barry

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Curacao, Dutch Caribbean

Hails from Netherlands Antilles

I have some additional questions:

(a) How much time does one have to spend on the course (per week/month)?
(b) I am not so much interested in learning how to paint with acrylics or water color. Oil paint is my thing. Do I have to go through lessons with other materials?
(c) Do you get fees back? Is there a kind of critique? Is there any form of communication with the teacher(s)?

Looking forward hearing back.

Regards from the tropical island of Curacao, Dutch Caribbean.

Arthur
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2012, 06:02 PM

Hi Arthur,
Here are the answers to your questions below:

(a) How much time does one have to spend on the course (per week/month)?
Answer: There are no restrictions since this is a self-study course. You can spend as much or as little time as you want each week working on the course materials. See Wendy's post above.

(b) I am not so much interested in learning how to paint with acrylics or water color. Oil paint is my thing. Do I have to go through lessons with other materials?
Answer: No, you don't have to go through any lessons with other media. You can skip any parts that reference watercolor and acrylics. In any case, more than 95% of the course is independent of the media used. In my opinion specific media techniques play a relatively small role in the quality of a studen't painting. The key to making good paintings is to have a solid understanding of the underlying foundational principles that create great art. That is where most people are lacking in understanding. You can produce a masterpiece with a tin of house paint and a wooden stick if you fully understand these principles. Again, Wendy allude's to this in her post above.

(c) Do you get fees back?
Answer: Quite a few students after going through the full program and working hard at it, have seen big improvements in their work, and have been able to sell their paintings. Some have even turned professional and got into professional galleries. In that way they have recuperated the cost of the course many times over.

Is there a kind of critique? Is there any form of communication with the teacher(s)?
Answer: Yes and no. At the moment, individual coaching, usually for a critique of a painting, is available on a very limited basis at an hourly rate Please note that this is not included in the cost of the course, since the basic price of the self-study course is very low (each of the 55 courses in the program works out to less than $10 each if you buy the full program in one go). However I do from time to time offer personal one-on-one coaching on a limited basis. I am a full-time professional painter, not a full-time teacher, and I don't hire instructors because I can't control the quality that way. I also offer two few week-long workshops each year in Tuscany for those students who would like personal feedback and teaching.

I hope this helps to answer your questions. If not please don't hesitate to ask for more clarification.
Barry

Last edited by b123 : 08-14-2012 at 06:06 PM.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2016, 03:55 PM
NY

Hails from United States
Re: Link for finding Art Schools /Your suggestions for schools

I don't know if the link is still valid but thank you.