WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Favorite workable fixative
SpectraFix 32 68.09%
Blue label 0 0%
Winsor and Newton 4 8.51%
Prismacolor myston 0 0%
Grumbacher 3 6.38%
Blair 1 2.13%
Krylon 7 14.89%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Lord of the Arts
Saint John N.B. Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Favorite workable fixative?

Spectrafix for me when i use at all. Using less when I started using canson touch takes layers and layers.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2012, 06:54 PM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England

I haven't used Fixative on Pastels since about 2006...because I've used various sanded papers and just attach a sheet of Glassine to those that are not behind glass.

When I did use it on Pastels I used a brand called Ghiant Fixative as it was for both Pastel and Graphite...I still use it on Graphite/Charcoal.. Although it is marked Highly Flammable, it is neither marked Toxic nor Non Toxic

For those not used to spraying ..... I have two golden rules...3 maybe...

spray outdoors or inside in the largest room, with a window open.

BEFORE spraying picture...always spray one or two short bursts to avoid droplets on your work when you start spraying for real.

Spray at 12" away from your picture keeping the spray moving back and forth...so it's an even coat.

I did say 4? Tap the loose dust off your painting BEFORE you start spraying....otherwise your furniture will be whatever colours that are in your painting! I learnt that early on!
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Enthusiast
Chicago, IL

Hails from United States

I'll chime in here about Spectrafix. It's not perfect but it's the closest you can get. I find that if I don't have many layers of pastels, like in the background, after spraying with Spectrafix, I start seeing the paper color (I mostly use Canson MT) in spots and then I have to go over it with pastels again.

Best thing to do, not the easiest, is to just let it be. I tap it to knock the lose pastel off and then cover the paintings with tracing paper and leave it that way until framed.

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2012, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Sweden

I don´t use fixative.
I put the layers on top of each other without spraying.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2012, 03:27 PM
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

I can't say I have a favorite. With pastels I often do not use a fixative. With a recent charcoal piece I attempted to use the fixative again. Then I remembered why I abandoned them before. I usually move outside to spray because the fumes can be so overpowering. I spray for about 2 seconds before the nozzle stops producing. This has occurred even on brand new cans. I can only attribute it to changes in temperature moving in and out of air conditioning and heat. Anyone else with the same problem? Solution?
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2012, 01:09 PM
Lord of the Arts
San Francisco

Hails from United States

I'm with "Other." I use my own casein based fixative of nonfat milk and 70% Isopropyl alcohol. Got this recipe from my teacher who has been using it for years.
I guess it's close in composition with Spectrafix.
Chuas
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Enthusiast
Long Island, NY

Hails from United States

I recently did an experiment using Krylon Workable Fixative. I applied a number of colors ranging from yellow to blue on a piece of Canson MT paper using PanPastels. Afterwards I covered 1/2 of the pastel painting with another piece of paper. I applied 2 light coats of Kryon WF, allowing the first coat to dry thoroughly before applying the second coat. After the second coat dried, I removed the cover paper and found a tremendous difference. The sprayed side was much darker and duller than the protected side.
Prior to this thread I have heard good things about Spectrafix and Sennelier, but have not had the chance to repeat the experiment with these products. Therefore, my most recent pastels have not been "fixed" at all.
troutbum
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuas2
I'm with "Other." I use my own casein based fixative of nonfat milk and 70% Isopropyl alcohol. Got this recipe from my teacher who has been using it for years.
I guess it's close in composition with Spectrafix.
Chuas

That's really interesting. Mind sharing the proportions? I have a bottle of Spectrafix lying around (all I'll use, due to the toxicity issue) that it would be neat to compare it to. A little experiment.

C&C is always appreciated.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2014, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

I prefer Spectrafix too, but almost never use fixatives now. I would rather scrape down and area that has too much pastel, or brush some of it off. I mostly use Pastelmat, sometimes Uart, both will hold a lot of layers without really needing fixative. I make sure to give the painting a few good whacks to dislodge any loose bits when I am done with it.

Sarah Rose
~~~ long time sculptor, short time painter C & C always welcome!
paintings: www.sarahrosepastel.blogspot.com
sculpture: www.rosestudios.blogspot.com
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2014, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Western MA

Hails from United States

Has anyone "burnished" their finished pastel? There was discussion about it on a thread years ago. Wondering if one could use tissue paper instead of glassine?
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2016, 06:52 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS Designs
Has anyone "burnished" their finished pastel? There was discussion about it on a thread years ago. Wondering if one could use tissue paper instead of glassine?

I burnish whenever I work on velour - not with any other paper. I use tissue or tracing paper - never used glassine.

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery