WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Still Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2001, 06:30 AM
A WC! Legend
toronto, ontario, canada

The lineup and lighting are too linear.
Is it possible that it is concept driven, or full of intent?
If so, it is not tentative enough.
I think the certainty is plastic, but that doesn't endow plasticity.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2001, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member
UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Hi Jerry,
If I knew what you were talking about, I would be able to reply but All that you said, went right by me without stopping. The reality of it is this. I liked this painting very much and wanted a copy for myself, so I painted it.Loren Speck, as near as I can recall, was selling framed prints of this painting for about $1800.00 each. Thats a lot of money for just a print. If he did in fact get people to buy them, then the painting must have some merit.
Thanks for your critique though, I realize we don't all like the same thing in art, if we did, it would be very dull.

Victor....
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2001, 11:24 AM
A Local Legend
USA, GA

Hails from United States
Victor: Hope you do not mind me giving this thread new life in the still life forum.

I am a very big fan of the still life and like to copy the works of the Peale family. I have a copy of a Rembrant Peale on my website and have copied it many times. As a matter of fact, it is the painting style that I most get requests from my clients.

Concerning your painting.... You really did an exceptional job!

One thing I like to do is take a still life that I like personally and try to set something similar up as a still life for me to paint. I found that I like having someones work to give me clues as to how to solve similar problems, but having the actual object in front of me helps me see and the work becomes more my own.

Have you ever tried that? It's fun.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2001, 12:13 PM
Lord of the Arts
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

Hails from Mexico
a suggestion

Just a suggestion; The painting appears to be of only one apple and one berry cluster turned in different directions...much more powerful would be a painting of the specific characteristics of each piece of fruit, not a generic "fruit"
"I would paint something and be satisfied with it for a period of time and then, foolishly, I would go into it again and destroy it. That became so painful that I stopped painting for about five years. Iíd get to a place, maybe an ecstatic moment, or maybe not that good, but somehow it was concluded... Why go and mess with it? But the idea would come to go back into it, assuming that the more times Iíd go back into it, the better itíd get. Well, itís just the reverse!! It doesnít work that way. Itís a gift. Itís kind of given to you" -Nathan Oliveira
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2001, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Florida

Hails from United States
Hi Vic,

Just dropped in from Oil Painting - this looks like it's going to be a great forum. I just visited Loren Speck's web site and it's terrific, thank you. Your rendition is excellent.

Les

"It takes two people to do a painting - one to do the painting - the other to kill him before he ruins it!! (source unknown)
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2001, 10:12 AM
South Africa

Hails from South Africa
Victor
I like the way you did the light!! Makes it look real...
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2001, 11:19 PM
Nv

This is very beautiful. How long have you been a painter?
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2001, 10:58 AM
Enthusiast
Ont. Canada

Hails from Canada
Hey Victor Our taste seems to run the sme whay when it comes to still life Bookmarked his website! Have you ever heard of a painter named Gerald Stinski? These could be the same people! He was the artist who inspired a love of still life in me. He doesn't have a web site, but I could scan a couple of his picts and post them or send them to you if you like My first color oil painting was a copy of his Artichoke and Cherries His plums are fantastic too! Also...... check this guy out.
http://www.mrs.umn.edu/academic/art/ingle/
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2001, 11:08 AM
Enthusiast
Ont. Canada

Hails from Canada
BTW Victor, your plums are magnificent!
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2001, 10:22 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States
This, 'Blackberries and Plums', is the first of your work that I have seen (I mostly hang out at the watercolor forums), and I truly enjoy still life paintings.

I enjoyed your painting very much and I will be checking back to see what's new.

The Best,

j
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2001, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Florida

Hails from United States
Hi Bella,

Can you please post the still life with the cherries? I'm working on one right now with cherries in it, and I'm just not "getting it!"

"It takes two people to do a painting - one to do the painting - the other to kill him before he ruins it!! (source unknown)
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2001, 10:45 AM
Enthusiast
Ont. Canada

Hails from Canada
Already done ldallen. I started a new thread yesterday called 'Stinski's art for Victor' The cherries are there.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2001, 12:44 PM
Lord of the Arts
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

Hails from Mexico
OK, it bothers me

Stinski's stuff is amazingly realistic...I look at it and I don't like it...maybe, because I used to be a professional photographer and after all, I am painting now ...aint I ? anyway, I guess I'll move on over to the other thread to cause trouble....I ask myself, and what if that canvas was one that I had done?...well, I take such satisfaction in objects that I paint well and not even a fraction as realistic as these...I actually believe that I like my struggles and results better....I have "getting a digital camera" high on my priority list...til then, words do not suffice...of course his stuff is "better" but I don't want mine looking like that...do you? Tell me about it.
"I would paint something and be satisfied with it for a period of time and then, foolishly, I would go into it again and destroy it. That became so painful that I stopped painting for about five years. Iíd get to a place, maybe an ecstatic moment, or maybe not that good, but somehow it was concluded... Why go and mess with it? But the idea would come to go back into it, assuming that the more times Iíd go back into it, the better itíd get. Well, itís just the reverse!! It doesnít work that way. Itís a gift. Itís kind of given to you" -Nathan Oliveira
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2001, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Florida

Hails from United States
Hi Illis,

I think that is a very good idea. I am just getting back to still life, love it, but sometimes have trouble setting it up to my own satisfaction so I will find a still life that I like using my own pots, fruits, etc. from around the house.

#30   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2001, 01:13 PM
A Local Legend
Indian Land , SC. Suburb of Charlotte,NC

Hails from United States
Thumbs up

Hello, Victor!I love this painting ! You posted it in the critique forum first, I belive. The plums are ready for the bite!

Julia