Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing Framing Discussions Mats for oil paintings?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Grotius

Are oil paintings generally framed without a mat? That’s the way I’ve been doing it, but my wife asked me about adding a mat, and I wasn’t sure what to think. For whatever reason I associate mats with watercolor, photographs, and prints — not oil paintings. I recall reading that those type of media can benefit from a mat.

So is it common to add a mat to an oil painting? Is there a technical or archival reason not to do so? I personally prefer the look of an oil painting without a mat anyway, but I’m pretty new to framing, so I’m curious. Thanks in advance.

- Geoff.
        My website and blog: https://www.geoffwatsonart.com/

Steve Collins

Generally, oil paintings are painted on canvas or panel that don’t require mounting behind glass. On the other hand, mats are made of paper and need to be behind glass to keep them from being damaged. Their purpose is not just to serve as a design element; they also serve to keep the glass away from the artwork.

If you want the look of a mat without requiring glass, you can use a liner, which is a separate frame, often covered in linen, that goes between the primary frame and the painting.

You can also get moulding that has a built in liner. You trade off choice and price, like always in framing.

Anyway, you can expect the addition of a liner to nearly double the cost of framing, and sometimes more.

Grotius

Thanks for your reply, Steve. I guess my wife is thinking of a liner or a moulding with a built-in liner, then. Anyway, I appreciate the info!

- Geoff.
                My website and blog: https://www.geoffwatsonart.com/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.