Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Oil Painting – Hall of Fame Oil-from-life challenge, Nov. 2019: optional "fall colors" theme!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Grotius

Let’s paint from life! As always, feel free to post whatever you like — landscapes, portraits, figures, interiors, still lifes, whatever — so long as your work is painted primarily from life. Again I’m suggesting an optional “fall colors” theme. As always, the theme is just a suggestion; post whatever you like. Four guidelines:

1. Please paint primarily from life — not from photographs or imagination. It’s okay to post finished studio works based on studies from life; in that case, please post the original study as well as the finished work.

2. Please submit something created in the last few months, not something you’ve done in the more distant past.

3. Please paint in oils. That said, please feel free to post studies in any other medium, so long as you also post your oil painting(s).

4. Please list the size of your painting and support. E.g., ‘”8×10″, oil on panel.’

Optional: Tell us the title of your painting!

—————–

Unfinished works, studies, and outright failures are all welcome. There’s no requirement that you invite comment & critique. If you’d rather post without being critiqued, just say so; that’s fine by me!

You can find older oil-from-life threads in the “hall of fame” sub-forum of the Oil Painting forum.

I hope you’ll all consider posting one or more paintings this month!

- Geoff.
        My website and blog: https://www.geoffwatsonart.com/

moscatel

“Three Pumpkins”, oil on canvas, 45×33 cm, approx. 18×14 in

The place is chosen by a friend and we went to paint there together. Here is a poor photo of the setup but I was glad to find plenty of pumpkins to paint :smug::

Anonymous

very good Mosc, it is now pumpkin time for sure.
                Jessica and I went to our fave plein air location on Friday, New Yawk’s
                Central Park, and we did another one in our continuing series of the Park,
                here is my 8×10 :

moscatel

Thanks Sid!
                    I like a lot your NY plein air. Glad you got to go.

ilya K

Moscatel, Sid, great colors! It’s my favorite season, and you bring more of it! Here everything is already greenish-brown. We wanted to escape from the cold and went south of the Alps for a few days. Weather was not cooperating, but I took my portable mini-easel, more a table model, to test. It has no legs, so I had to sit, putting it on a log for the first and on a stack of cement blocks for the second one.

Well… I don’t really like the results, those are just most simple sketches done in a rush, but posting to show I was not being an idling tourist. (And sorry for the screaming tree color on the second one).

Both are about 25×32 cm oil paper.

Ilya K
                        C&C always welcome

Anonymous

simple is great and that is what these both are too ilya.

moscatel

Ilya, gorgeous plein airs! Thanks for commenting.

ilya K

Thank you, guys!

Ilya K
                                    C&C always welcome

Grotius

Lots of lovely fall colors, everyone! Will comment in more detail when I have a bit more time; hectic week.

- Geoff.

Grotius

Sid, good one of Central Park! It captures the feel of this time of year. I hope Jessica posts the painting she did on the same excursion.

Moscatel, lovely pumpkins! I think you do pumpkins every year this time of year. I always enjoy seeing your still lifes. You have a knack for them.

Ilya, great stuff. Is that Venice in the second picture? I’m so envious of you and Moscatel for all your exotic painting trips throughout Europe. Painting the suburbs of the eastern USA isn’t quite the same, lol, but I make do with what I’ve got. :)

- Geoff.

Grotius

Phew, it’s been my busiest month of the year, so I’m sure glad we’re not doing daily painting right now. I’m lucky to do one a week. But I think I’ll be switching to semi-retirement in the spring, which will mean much more time for art. Yay!

Anyway, I did this portrait study today in life class, in about two hours. Pretty happy with it! “Moe,” oil on linen panel, 11″ x 14.”

- Geoff.

ilya K

Geoff, that new one is great, I like the way the light plays on the face.

Yes, Venice is few hours drive, but in the context of this thread, it’s a trade off: we don’t get great fall colors while you do!

Ilya K
                                                    C&C always welcome

moscatel

Grotius, thanks! Excellent work done with “Moe”. Shiny and bright skin tones! Expression is unique and looking straight at you! :thumbsup:
                                                        >> “..switching to semi-retirement!!”
                                                        – Lucky you!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
                                                        You are correct about the daily thing … but maybe we’ll organize a daily painting challenge once again some day .. :crossfingers:

Ilya, LOL I’m few hours FLY away from Venice :lol:.

Grotius

Thanks for the comments! Yep, semi-retirement will be great! As for daily painting, I’m thinking next spring or summer for our next go at it. Maybe just one month long this time. I got a bit burned out after three months. :)

- Geoff.

ilya K

Maybe just one month long this time. I got a bit burned out after three months. :)

Glowing just like you do on your paintings? :lol:

Ilya K
                                                                C&C always welcome

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.