Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Liquitex Gloss medium & Varnish – questionhelp please

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Paul1965

(First post) Hello there, :wave:
        I am going to varnish an acrylic painting with a brush for the first time & will be using Liquitex Gloss medium & Varnish.
        Liquitex advise that you can dilute (if you want to) up to 20% with water.
        My question is – will it still work at 30% 40% 50% dilution? Someone has mentioned that a 3 parts liquitex to one part water mix works fine??
        Any tips or ratio’s that have worked for you would be greatly appreciated, many thanks.
        Paul

asmith38

Welcome to the forum and to Wet Canvas, Paul!

I usually don’t dilute mine.

Ann-Yes
            From the Florida Keys... where your paint never dries ;)

Jim

I only have experience with Golden medium and varnish, and they state that they must be thinned with water, using a ratio of 2-1 water to medium or varnish.

If you don’t thin they, they tend to foam up.

Jim

Thanks in Advance

bluefish

Liquitex makes a final acrylic varnish…..the varnish and medium is fine if you plan on overpaiting for any reason….I utilize the final varnish undiluted, two coats applied in opposite directions…..nice surface…..

Guide

Have you considered using a removable varnish? You can use a gloss medium as an isolation coat and then finish with a removable varnish so at a future date it can be cleaned and revarnished.

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
                        The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
                        "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
                        "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

I don’t know how it would work at greater dilutions but you could experiment with the % ages and then check the results and see if they either wash or rub off. Just a thought!:)

… and welcome to the forum too!:)

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Paul1965

Thanks for your reply’s, much appreciated. I went for a 3 to 1, it looks ok but will probably opt for no dilution next time I think. Thanks again.

kiwicockatoo

This is probably to late to be helpful, but I thin it down probably more than half. But I paint on paper, so that might make a difference. I stretch my paintings after they are done, so this way I take care of that and add an allover slight gloss at the same time, without making the paper stiff.

Jonathan S

I’m not a fan of the gloss varnishes. For me they are too glossy and you get strange light reflections happening. Almost like having the painting under glass.

bluefish

it all depends on what you are tryng to accomplish…..matte varnishes for more modern, abstract type paintings or classic museum type high gloss paintings….I utilize the high gloss because it ‘brings out the true colors’ of the painting…..and in my area, customers prefer this look….there is something out there for everyone….whatever works for you……:thumbsup:

the Liquidtex Gloss Varnish states NOT to dilute with water….

Guide

You may want to investigate matte varnishes. They use a matting powder in a gloss base to alter the finish. It can gray a dark passage and alter the contrast of a work. It needs to be used after some careful self education.

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
                                            The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
                                            "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
                                            "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                          • The topic ‘Liquitex Gloss medium & Varnish – questionhelp please’ is closed to new replies.