Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    kalibahlu

I recently bought a couple Intus #8 holders from Jerry’s, hoping use them with Sennelier OPs, but they don’t fit. The pastels are a little too big for that size holder. So, I’m hoping someone can tell me of a good holder for Sennelier OPs, but in general, I thought it might be nice to have a thread where people can share information about what types of holders work well with which brands of OPs. Thanks, all :)

Flycatcher10

Hi Kalibahlu, if you take a look at this thread you can see some options of holders that people have used for their oil pastels, https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1321109

My oil pastels are both in their original box, and for my loose ones they are in a plastic container by color with other oil pastels of similar hue.

I hope that this helps. Nice to meet you and welcome to wetcanvas/oil pastel forum!

kalibahlu

Hi Mary,
                It’s nice to meet you. Thank you for your response :) I actually meant another kind of holder, though, the kind that you can put a short length of pastel into in order to extend it’s length. You know, it’s like a pen handle, sort of, and you can insert the pastel so you can draw with it easier?

Flycatcher10

Hi Kalibahlu, sorry about that.

There is a pastel holder (3 different sizes), I know that some pastelist artists use (soft and oil pastels), called “pastel holder.” The ad states that they can hold the smallest of pieces. I found this at Jerry’s, here is the link http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/Pastels/Pastel-Accessories/Pastel-Holders.htm

I hope that this answers your question – I’m not sure how small it actually holds, but I think this will help you.

kalibahlu

Thank you for the link, Mary. I had heard those are good holders, so I did try the Intus #8 from Jerry’s for Sennelier Oil Pastels, and although Jerry’s specifies that it should fit, it doesn’t.

The Intus #123 does indeed fit the Rembrandt Soft Pastels, I do know that :)

But the Intus #8 does not fit the Sennelier Oil Pastels.. or has anyone had luck with that?

By the way, Mary, your work is lovely (followed your URL link). I love “Peaceful Seaside”. I can just feel the sand under my feet! The sky is just stunning! Beautiful work :)

Flycatcher10

Hi Kalibahlu, didn’t realize you were describing the Intus Holder in your original post, sorry about that.

I’m not sure there is a commercial product out there that is going to fit your need, I’ve done some research on it and haven’t been successful – you might just have to create something by improvising like you mentioned a pen cap or magic marker cap.

You might could consider contacting Sennelier or some of the other vendors directly to see if they can recommend something to hold their oil pastels.

Is it more that you don’t want to have oil pastels on your hands? Have you heard about the invisible glove, a lotion that protects your hands. Or have hand wipes around when you’re working with the pastel. Some have used latex gloves to handle the oil pastels as well.

Sorry I couldn’t be more assistance. Please let us know if you find something and if anyone has anything to add that might be helpful to Kalibahlu that would be great.

Thank you so much for your lovely comment about my painting, Peaceful Seaside – you made my evening, thanks!!

Would love to see your work, any chance you can share some pieces with us. So wonderful to meet you. Take care, Mary

kalibahlu

Mary, thank you, that’s a great suggestion about finding a pen cap or something. The problem is just that when they get too short, my fingers get in the way :D I use those white cotton cloth gloves for pastels, and the finger tips will touch the paper when the pastel is too short, or just get in my way and I can’t see what I’m doing. I love your idea and I’m going to look for a homemade solution as you suggested. I’ll let you know if I find anything. Thanks again, Mary :)

kalibahlu

Jerry’s gave me the measurements for media that should fit in the Intus holders:

INTUS #8: 7,5 – 8,0 mm
                                    INTUS #10: 9,2 – 10,0 mm
                                    INTUS #123: 11 – 13 mm

(There is an another holder holder INTUS 810 with 9,2 – 10,0 mm.)

According to this data, the Sennelier Oil Pastels would fit in the Intus 10 (3/8″ = 9.525 mm), but I haven’t tried it yet.

Mary, I have to tell you, your suggestion to find something to use as a holder really opened up my thinking, and I’ve had fun finding holders for many media in my studio. It really breathes new life into a short drawing tool :) Thank you again.

Flycatcher10

This is good information Kalibahlu, thanks so much for passing it along.

LOL, you too funny – if you invent one that can hold 1/4″ piece let me know!!

EllieBelly

My first post ever to WC. I’m a newbie to almost all things art and am rapidly becoming addicted to OP. I’m self employed and have, in the past, had lots of self-discipline. But now, how will ever get my work done?

Anyway, I wanted to add that I’ve just used a product called Sugru to mold a holder for some of my OP stubs. Sugru is great stuff, moldable when removed from its packaging, but solid after 24 hours. I’ll try to remember to let you know how this turns out.

Namaste from Kathmandu!

kalibahlu

Welcome, EllieBelly :) Thank you so much for posting about Sugru! I’m excited to find out the results of your experiment! I had no idea this product existed! I googled it after reading your post, and it seems like it would come in handy for many things that previously no material existed for. I look forward to your next post!

BTW, Mary, this post reminded me of your paintings, and I had to take a detour and go look at Peaceful Seaside once again. Ahh so relaxing! As soon as I look at it, I hear the peaceful surf, the birds, feel the sand and the breeze. I’m standing there! Beautiful work! :)

Welcome Elliebelly! I would like to see your mold too. Could you post a photo of it?

Christel

EllieBelly

Well, Kalibahlu, my experiment was less successful than I’d hoped. I have a circle of hardened Sugru, but my stubs are all irregular sizes so don’t fit well. I’m not allowed to post a photo yet, as I have too few regular posts. I should have anticipated this.

I’ll think about this for awhile.

I often use a lot of pressure so break my OPs a lot. I just grip them as best I can and go for it!

EllieBelly

Sorry these pics are so fuzzy. My phone doesn’t have a very good camera.

I think someone could possibly design the perfect stub holder with Sugru!

kalibahlu

Not a failure, EllieBelly, a very good start! This looks promising! Perhaps the Sugru could be incorporated with another part, as an extension for some sort of clip that otherwise couldn’t be held comfortably. Or, as a container to combine multiple parts that could form a clip. Or, the Sugru might work as the interior grippy part of a holder made from another part that could adjust it’s width but otherwise not grip the pastel. Or, it might work to make many different sizes for the different stubs, and you would have an assortment to choose from for each stub. More experimentation will lead to an inventive solution :) To quote Thomas Edison, “I didn’t fail 1,000 times. The light bulb was an invention with 1,000 steps.” Thank you sharing Step 1!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.