Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil How do I shade skin more smoothly?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Captain Le

Whenever I color a person’s skin, I use circulism. However, when I shade the skin, am I supposed to use circulism for that, too? Because in this picture, I used Light Umber (beige was the base) to shade the person’s face using circulism, but it doesn’t look really smooth. So, how would I shade more smoothly?

(I couldn’t attach the picture directly for some reason)

I’ve added the image for you. –Rosemary

Justin Le
        SheGeek

It really depends on what kind of pencils and paper you are using.
            I use PrismaColors and it is very hard to blend light on dark on regular paper without a solvent. However when I use a pastelbord I can keep adding light on dark for many layers.

Your picture looks good. When I have problems uploading I don’t use the uploader, rather I click the icon at the top that looks like a mountain picture and add it directly into the text. I hope that helps.

Captain Le

I also use PrismaColors (love them, but then again… only brand I’ve tried, haha). Oh, I’m using regular paper. I’ve thought about getting better paper, but I might just wait until I’m older. Thanks for your help and quick reply. :) (And compliment!)

Justin Le
                RickinNM

Good job there.:clap:

Rubbing alcohol or turpinoid with a Qutip can help to smooth out marks. I have tried a few papers but really took a liking to stonehedge. You really should try some better papers Strathmore or canson are good to try. My favorite is not good for a single layer but really shines with 3 or more layers. I use combination of marks circle or lines or arcs all depends on the subject I am using PrismaColors but gradually shifting to other brands .

Eric

Kiwi Girl

Colorless blender pencils can also smooth wax pencil if you don’t want to go down the solvent route. Also lots and lots of light layers.

beachwalker

I don’t use solvents in any of my work, preferring to build even skin texture by layering with very sharp pencils and fine diagonal lines. Colorless blenders can be useful for finishing, after the color base is firmly established. I use Strathmore 500 bristol board for portraits and most of my other work, by the way.

TessDB

Hi! Welcome to WC! :wave:

I couldn’t attach the picture directly for some reason

I’ve uploaded your pic into your first post for you. :) As a new member, you may have run into the 2 post rule. WC won’t let you post images until you’ve made at least 2 posts. You’ve done that now, so you should be good from here on out. Also, if you try to upload your image as a .png, WC will reject it. It can only take jpg’s or gif’s. :cool:

As far as suggestions… better paper. Period.
                                With cp’s your paper choice is *just* as important as your pencil choice. If the paper you’re using is too smooth or not hefty enough to handle multiple layers, you’ll never get the smooth look you’re asking about. Also, lightweight papers can’t handle using solvents, either. So … don’t wait until you’re older! Invest in better paper now. :)

Looking forward to getting to know you and your work!
                                Rosemary

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Rosemary (aka Tess) - [/color]
                                [FONT="Book Antiqua"]How does she do that??? Find out here:[/color] Celtic Art 101

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
                                [/left]

clydeine

I use a lot of elbow grease working the color down in the trenches of the paper. I use bristol board smooth and put on many layers of very light color and work each into the paper with toilet tissue to burnish.

iris.nawar

that topic is really useful ..

i use FC polychromos .. what type of paper should i use ???

Captain Le

Thank you all. :) y’all are so helpful and kind! I’m glad I chose this forum. Right now, I’m doing all of my work in a Strathmore acid-free drawing book. I’m not sure what the paper in the drawing book is exactly, though. It feels pretty thick and strong, but I’m not really sure because I’m very new to art. I started being serious with art around only five months ago. So I’m glad y’all are here to help out! Perhaps, one day, I will be able to return the favor. Anyways, I have another question. If I blend the skin, would it take away the skin texture I created with circulism?

Justin Le
                                            George924

A whole lot of burnishing always does the job for me…I never use anything but the pencils, no solvents. Building up many layers is one of the keys to having a color pencil piece smooth and painterly.

To answer your question about will it take away from the texture…Yes, but you can come back over the burnished smoothness and reapply the texture you are looking for. I do this all of the time but it will take some time to figure it out and if you cannot achieve that texture after the burnishing…Try spraying mat finish clear fixative on the piece and let it dry, your piece will have a slight tooth to it that should give you enough texture to apply the look you are after.

Here is a list of the primary pencils I use for portraits (all Prisma’s)
                                                Light Peach
                                                Cream
                                                Peach
                                                White
                                                Tuscan Red
                                                Lilac
                                                Terra Cotta
                                                Jade Green
                                                Indigo Blue
                                                Pink
                                                Peach Beige
                                                Ultra Marine
                                                Deco Peach

No Yellows except Cream

These are the ones I use with every single portrait but I have not listed all of the color because them colors will very from piece to piece.

Robin

I use a trimmed stencil brush to swirl and smooth prismacolors then layer on top. With human skin, lots and lots of layers make it smooth. Paper does make a big difference and doesn’t have to be expensive. I use Mi Tientes, because I like being able to block in my lights at the very beginning.

I never use solvents. I do not trust the stability of it for either the pencil or paper.

Super portrait, btw, it’s great to see portraits that are hand drawn.

Robin

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                                  • The topic ‘How do I shade skin more smoothly?’ is closed to new replies.