WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2012, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Southern Ontario

Hails from Canada
XPOST - How to remove scratches from Plexiglas & how to cut to size

Hi all

My husband just found two 3 1/2' x 6 1/2' pieces of framed plexiglas in the back of the shed. He saw me drooling when he told me and said how scratched they were. I don't care, I want them for my art studio. lol Has anyone had success removing many, many scratches from plexiglas? I've done some online research and the top three recommendations were
  1. 3 part Novus polishing system
  2. sanding with 600 cw Silicon carbide waterproof abrasive paper coated paper followed by 1200 cw, then rubbing compound and finally metal polish
  3. C-Klear 707 by Parasol
Also, since those are two very large pieces, he could cut many pieces for me for my tabletop, palettes, framing etc. Does anyone have recommendations on the best and easiest ways to cut plexiglas?

Thanks in advance for any help .

Stay inspired!
Michelle
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Roanoke VA

Hails from United States
Re: XPOST - How to remove scratches from Plexiglas & how to cut to size

Hi, Michelle. I just finished doing a couple of sheets of Lexan (similar acrylic plastic) to make customized viewfinders in a "golden ratio."

Cutting: the easiest way is to use a "Plaskolite cutting knife" or similar tool. It's a plastic-handled razor knife that cuts when you draw it toward you, giving you more control. Looks like this:

You pull it along a straightedge on the plexiglas deepening the score mark with each pass. When you've cut through about half the thickness, you can snap the sheet on the score on the edge of a table. They vary in price but mine was about $4 at Lowes.

Scratches: Yes, you can polish the scratches out, but what I do is get automotive Turtle Wax, smear it on the acrylic sheet, wipe off, polish with a soft cloth, and repeat five or six times. The transparent polish gradually fills the scratches. Much easier than gradated abrasive paper.

By the way, Turtle wax works marvelously on scratched CD's and DVD's, too!

Hope this helps--I always love salvaging found "treasures."

Comments and critiques are invited
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2012, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
Southern Ontario

Hails from Canada

Thanks so much Bill. I'll tell my husband he can play Karate Kid with the wax on, wax off. lol I'm dangerous with sharp tools so he'll be doing the cutting as well.

I did some interesting web reading regarding "golden ratio" as well. Thanks, I love learning new things. I was only familiar with this from a Criminal Minds episode, not as it pertained to photography. You may wish to contact Dave from this article as he seemed interested in a viewfinder of that kind .

Stay inspired!
Michelle

Last edited by mshaiku : 04-04-2012 at 10:47 PM. Reason: additional information
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2012, 11:23 AM
Edwardsburg, MI

Hails from United States

Good advice from Bill, Michelle. But if the scratches are more than just fine surface scratches you might find the amount of work to remove them is just not worth the trouble.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Upstate NY

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsrea

Scratches: Yes, you can polish the scratches out, but what I do is get automotive Turtle Wax, smear it on the acrylic sheet, wipe off, polish with a soft cloth, and repeat five or six times. The transparent polish gradually fills the scratches.

Cool. I'm doing this to my glasses, which I manage to fumble and drop face down all the time.

Thanks for the tip!
signed,
'ole scratchy
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Southern Ontario

Hails from Canada

@Dave - I Agree. After reading how much elbow grease will be involved and they are such large pieces with many bad scratches, I can't see expecting my hubby to do all that. Definitely learned a lot though.

@Libby - If you're talking about eyeglasses, I don't believe any of these methods will work as the lens are usually coated and I wouldn't want you ruining them further.

Stay inspired!
Michelle