WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2004, 10:36 AM
A Local Legend
Scottsdale, AZ USA (do I get a flag?)

Hails from United States
Walk me through a RAM upgrade???

I am going over to help an elderly friend who is in drastic need of new RAM.
She has an emachine running ME,which we know is a bad idea, it is about (judging from her email history) three years old and was conservative in price so I think it probably is about a 600-800 mhz processor with 125 ram.
(yes I am only vaguely techno knowledgable) I KNOW it is simple to upgrade. I know I only need to find out for sure what type it needs, but I am not sure if I can ADD or have to replace.

She just upgraded to cable and the idiot that the company sent, techofreaked her and said she needed a new machine.
It worked for a day after it was installed but when the support tech came in to show her how, she said to buy a new computer and crashed it royally. The poor old gal sent her home on my intructions and I am going to clean up what damage I can. Upgrade is necessary. Don't believe it is busted, but I have two questions beyond the PHYSICAL how to....

Does adding a cable card put THAT much strain on an older machine?
IF it were to be trashed, I have a clean install 98 disk. Can I wipe out an emachine and reinstall the system?
I see it was purchased about 10/01 which means the three year warranty is just barely in effect!!! I may be able to take it into Bestbuy for the fix up.

I have to see her in four hours so I thought I would be set for the worst!
dj*
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2004, 05:30 AM
Enthusiast
Sjöbo, Sweden

Hails from Sweden
Re: Walk me through a RAM upgrade???

hello djstar!
You have to give more information on the PC, like operative system, hardisk capacity etc., etc.. then maybe there is a PC-person that can help you.

Last edited by Rosemarie : 09-19-2004 at 05:33 AM.