Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Archives Painting to Music – What do you listen to?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    KJSCL

We now know Linda (purples) likes Iron Butterfly and Jerry Garcia, but does she listen to them while she’s painting? Furthermore, does it in any way influence how you paint?

I find while painting that the louder and rockier (is that a word?:) ) the music, the looser I am. If I’m working on something more detailed like a portraiture I find I prefer quieter, more new age type of music. This got me wondering what other artists do while painting. So vote and then let us know what type of music you like listening to.

BTW my favorites to paint by are the Eagles (yes, I know I’m dating myself!) and Delerium

Kathy
        My Website

Bringer

Hi,

What I listen most is 3 Doors Down. Also like Enya and Everything But The Girl. And of course that I listen to others.
            I voted sometimes.

Regards,

José

Read about it on my Blog

I'm not lazy because I sleep until late. I just dream alot.

CindyW

Now that my studio is in the basement, I no longer have my stereo available as it’s upstairs, but there is a tv around the corner behind the furnace on a fly tying desk of my husband’s so I give that a listen.
                BUT….when I do have music to listen to, it’s Joni Mitchell, Jane Siberry, Paul McCartney of course, Chris Whitley, Travis Tritt, Bruce Cockburn, EmmyLou Harris, Patty Griffin, Tori Amos, Lyle Lovett, Jonatha Brooke, Ulali, Elvis Costello, Green Day, Celtic, American Indian, wow, too many to list……and tons of intrumental and obscure groups, and, well, EVERYTHING! I love it all and so I guess I have no favorites.
                Cindy

Cindy
                Never stop learning.[/B][/COLOR]
                http://www.cindywentzell.com/[/URL]
                [/COLOR][/SIZE]

khourianya

ohh I love Delerium…too bad they aren’t together anymore (though I did get to see them reunite last January at the Tsunami concert at the ‘dome with Kirsty Thirsk singing) Have you checked out Conjure One yet? It is one of the guys from Delerium off on his own project. Simply awesome.

Anyways I’m straying…

I always listen to music…it ranges with my moods but I do love the Barenaked Ladies to keep me relaxed. I also listen to Poe, Sarah Harmer, Chris Brown and Kate Fenner, Feist, Jack Johnson and whatever else happens to come up in my iTunes library that strikes a mood.

Of course I also do a fair bit of painting to Kimodus – which is the name Cam writes his music under. Since we started to share a studio space I get immersed with it alot more than I used to. Luckilly I love what he does (he’s an electronic musician – very ambient)

Cori Nicholls
                    HarvestMoon

Kathy- boy- when I saw that last selection, I just had to go for that one- and that includes the whining pets too LOL….

I have a real problem lately with music- in my studio, which got too junky to actually be in, there is a tiny clock radio…it got my favorite station quite well though- then suddenly- in the dead middle of Christmas- they switched to – ahme- ‘feel good positive morally correct’ music…. it is hideous!!! So the other decent station does not come in at all- and all I am getting are San Antonio stations now- in Spanish, which I did terribly in…. lately have sort of shifted to the family area again (they are not happy with me there either)… but the music distracts my husband, who is trying to do some serious work on the computer…. my youngest though decided Jethro Tull was ‘good music’ with nasty lyrics… and knows every McCartney song by heart- and Beatles- my oldest screams when I play Joan Baez (having her middle name come from one of her songs), but there is hope as she likes Bob Dylan

Harvest Moon 🐐

bluefish

Doesn’t anyone listen to the’standards’ like Johnny Mathis, Frank Sinatra, Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman,etc?

I always have music on – do some of my best work dreaming along with Dianna Krall! Thank you Canada for allowing her to perform for us! She’s a sweetheart!

Love jazz…..MJQ, Brubeck, etc. Makes those pastel stick fly!

Bringer

Doesn’t anyone listen to the’standards’ like Johnny Mathis, Frank Sinatra, Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman,etc?

I always have music on – do some of my best work dreaming along with Dianna Krall! Thank you Canada for allowing her to perform for us! She’s a sweetheart!

Well….let me tell you that I have : «Glenn Miller – A memorial» double CD.
                                And, altough I haven’t got anything from them, I really like The Andrew Sisters. Maybe one day I’ll buy «The Natural Album». For those to whom the name Andrew Sisters doesn’t ring a bell, they’re the ones who sing «The boy from company B». They also sing (I guess) «Mr. Sandman». Altough this song is originally from «The Cordets» (sp?). Maybe this is the reason why I haven’t seen this song on any of the Andrew Sisters albums.
                                Ah ! and just as sheer curiosity, in my opinion the most beautifull song in terms of lyrics is «Vincent» (can’t remember the interpreter)

Best regards,

José

Read about it on my Blog

I'm not lazy because I sleep until late. I just dream alot.

dlake

oh, the blues. I love the Blues. chicago, delta, blues-rock, all kinds. It really makes my mojo go. Also, I love 20s, 30s jazz. Chic Webb, Armstrong with the hot fives and sevens, the really good stuff.
                                    I do like Benny Goodman in his early stuff. Ellington from the 20s and 30s. Swing and early Jazz. However, my real love is the Blues.

I love music of all kinds, but I paint to classical music and opera. If I am in my car, it’s the Beach Boys. If I am reading, it’s the Big Band music that I love best.

HarvestMoon

NO- THIS IS THE SORT OF MUSIC THAT DRIVE ME OVER THE EDGE :eek:
                                        But happy that it makes you happy LOL….

I like Cindy’s list a lot- and Enya- esp. when she was with Clannad…and the Eagles- although I will NEVER figure out Hotel Calif. and used to adore Michael Murphy….Moody Blues… the Monkees (hiding under the table here)… Nancy Griffith, Dan Fogelburg….(and yes, even John Denver….)
                                        yeah- the Beach Boys are great…Chicago- the Neville Brothers….Loggins and Massina (have to add them since I was good friends with Massina’s sister)….Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young, Stephen Stills….and JANIS JOPLIN…. really LOUD Janis-

Harvest Moon 🐐

dlake

So Linda, you like the 60s music? You need to talk to my husband. He loves the music. I do like your selection of Janis. True blues.

Norah Jones, Andrea Bocelli, Sarah Brightman, Soundtrack to Phantom of the Opera, Mixed Ballroom music, Laura Branigan, Classical Ballet, Whitney Houston, Madonna, Soundtrack to Chicago, Soundtrack to Shall we Dance. I have soundtracks to several other dance movies. I LOVE dance movies!!

Katherine Taylor-Green Pastel Artist
                                            http://www.certaintylabradors.com/free_rein_studio.html

CindyW

NO- THIS IS THE SORT OF MUSIC THAT DRIVE ME OVER THE EDGE :eek:
                                                But happy that it makes you happy LOL….

I like Cindy’s list a lot- and Enya- esp. when she was with Clannad…and the Eagles- although I will NEVER figure out Hotel Calif. and used to adore Michael Murphy….Moody Blues… the Monkees (hiding under the table here)… Nancy Griffith, Dan Fogelburg….(and yes, even John Denver….)
                                                yeah- the Beach Boys are great…Chicago- the Neville Brothers….Loggins and Massina (have to add them since I was good friends with Massina’s sister)….Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young, Stephen Stills….and JANIS JOPLIN…. really LOUD Janis-

woohoo, there Miss Linda! You must be around my age, then. The other day I played Michael Murphy’s Wildfire album, (yes, ALBUM) for my 3 1/2 year old daughter and she wanted to hear it over and over! I hadn’t listened to that album in at least 20 years. Dan Fogelburg, a BIG yep to him, and of COURSE CSNY and the solos…Loggins is a doll and what an energetic musician…”I’m thinkin about nights in Jamaica….” Early Elton John and Jonathan Edwards are great, too. AND movie soundtracks I love, too! Monsoon Wedding, Shawshank Redemption, Rob Roy, American Beauty, Gladiator….
                                                The Blues, yah!
                                                But, I do love all of it that you all have listed here, just didn’t list it.
                                                Vince Guaraldi of Charlie Brown theme song fame, love it! Django Reinhardt and Ennio Morricone are two others.
                                                Cori has some I’ve never heard of before, gonna check those out. How bout these, Cori: Dead Can Dance, Loreena MkKennitt, Gjallarhorn, Tin Hat Trio, Hagalaz Runedance, Burd Early, Lisa Gerrard, Mendoza Line, Qntal, Garmarna, Euphoria, Imogen Heap, The Beta Band, Peter Murphy, Gomez….I bet you’ve heard a few of these.

Music is so personal it’s awesome to find likeminded tastes among us! :clap: :wave: Love this thread!
                                                Cindy

Cindy
                                                Never stop learning.[/B][/COLOR]
                                                http://www.cindywentzell.com/[/URL]
                                                [/COLOR][/SIZE]

. . . Soundtrack to Shall we Dance. I have soundtracks to several other dance movies. I LOVE dance movies!!

Just bought that DVD! I love that movie. Did you see Dancing With The Stars tonight – :)

HarvestMoon

Michael Murphy’s Wildfire album, (yes, ALBUM) for my 3 1/2 year old daughter and she wanted to hear it over and over! I hadn’t listened to that album in at least 20 years. Dan Fogelburg, a BIG yep to him, and of COURSE CSNY and the solos…Loggins is a doll and what an energetic musician…”I’m thinkin about nights in Jamaica….” Early Elton John Cindy

I have tons of albums- and finally – a phonograph again- and the kids think it is really wierd- but I bet I could still sing every song word for word from Wildfire…. LOVED that – have to dig it out now and hear it again- he was so cute… yeah- ‘Goodbye Yellow Brick Road’ too- he has some great stuff….he might be fun to go clothes shopping with too LOL

and came back here because I left out Paul Simon- who is still writing fantastic music, preforming great stuff….. his album with Lady Blacksmith Mesambo was a killer…. but they all are.
                                                    And George Harrison…..
                                                    .. what would the world be without musicians and artists???? HORRIBLE to think about!!!

And my 7th grade Sax playing daughter just had a great Christmas concert tonight- the ONE day we had a bit of ice was the original date- really great to hear Christmas music NOW LOL…. but they were of course STUNNING…..

Hey- am I the only one with a WHINING FAMILY????

Harvest Moon 🐐

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.