Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting preparing large plywood boards for oil painting

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    bismark85

Hello,

Looking for some help please. I’m new to oil painting. I want to paint on boards of about 120cm x 190cm. What’s the best way to prepare them? Do they need to be framed? What’s the best way to hang them once they’re finished?

Thanks
        Bismark

Freesail

Welcome to wet canvas…… First off you should build a cradle for the back to support the plywood and help keep it from wrapping. If you’re handy that cradle could give you a nice finished edge as viewed from the side so you may be able to get away from buying a frame if that is the look you’re after.

For how to prepare the plywood for paint, there is a current thread called sizing “hardboard” that will tell you all you need to know.

Solvent = Leaner Oil = Fatter Drawing is the basis of art. A bad painter cannot draw. But one who draws well can always paint. (Arshile Gorky)
            bismark85

Excellent, thanks

fxoflight

I made one mistake with plywood that hit hard during a painting. Sinking. Don’t forget to seal the plywood with some kind of primer sealer or I believe the plywood will suck the oil out of the painting, in blotches.

I’ve never had this issue with Masonite hardboard. A few layers of gesso on Masonite seems to be fine.

I’ve been painting on panel, GessoBord, Masonite, etc., for years.

I’ve never had a “sinking” problem with anything but panels I’ve built which were primed with “traditional” gesso (RSG, gypsum, marble dust, Titanium Dioxide).

Panels primed with (at least) three coats of a good acrylic gesso have worked fine for (me) for painting in oils or acrylics, with no “sinking” when using oils.

Forcing the waveform to collapse for two decades...
                    http://www.syntheticskystudios.com
                    Hilliard Gallery, Kansas City, "Small Works", December 2019

fxoflight

Yes, I should have said I prime my Masonite panels with acrylic gesso, not traditional gesso.

I have only had the sinking problem once in my life, and that was when I tried using a piece of plywood that was only primed with acrylic gesso.

sarastar

Plywood is very heavy to paint on, making it hard to hang later. Unless you are doing mural panels, it might be more useful to use a lighter weight painting surface.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                          • The topic ‘preparing large plywood boards for oil painting’ is closed to new replies.