Home Forums Explore Media Airbrush Airbrush Poll

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    jonquil

I just thought about this. there are so many different types of airbrushes available… what does everyone out there use? I guess a more detailed question would be what do you use your airbrush FOR? Mostly illustration from what I’ve seen in this forum. Fun stuff!

Cherie
        Art completes what nature cannot bring to finish. ~Aristotle
        my website[/URL]

Milo

Yup not only for because within family brands there are different levels as well. Take Iwata as an example, Revolution, Eclipse, HP, Micron. Various uses and pricing points and needs.

Milo

Life is good, have fun otherwise whats the point...
            My Art | My Gallery

HF AIRBRUSH

ive got two Evolutions, two hansa’s and one colani…
                i use them for the same…it’s just what i like to use at the moment…
                they are all from Harder and Steenbeck

henk

I have 4 Olympos’, 2 Iwatas, 1 Aztek, and 2 Paasche.

As for what I use them for……….everything I have ever posted here has been just Fine Art.

Sam

SamH[/b][/color]

My Etsy[/color]
                Penny220

Excepting a lot of brands were missed I still think it’s a fair poll. Unfortunately the system doesn’t allow for multiple answers for those that use multiple brands.

I have different airbrushes for different jobs but they are the same brand. Most brands sells different lines so that the hobbiest, the ceramics, the illustrators all would have a suitable airbrush. So asking the brand question is correct. No one airbrush can do it ALL. Some are more versitile than others but none can do everything.

“A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.” Jackie Robinson "No one said it had to be real, but it's got to be something you can reach out and feel" Meatloaf
                    hinddee29

Right now I have a Vega 2000 made by Thayer & Chandler. I just found out
                        Badger makes them now. I used to have a Paasche and it broke. I really
                        don’t like this Vega or maybe the hand that is holding it. I have never tried anything else, but I think I’m going back to a paasche.

What do I use it for I have figured out how to use the stupid thing yet.
                        I all most threw it against the wall today. :mad:

Shane

I use an Iwata HP-SB (side-fill) and have a Vega 2000 just for a backup. The Iwata smokes the Vega 2000 (for the fineness of line and atomization) and I never use the 2000 anymore. For T-shirts the 2000 is fine since you normally don’t paint hairline widths at 20 psi and don’t need exceptionally fine atomization.

I customized the Iwata by removing the trigger spring and chopping off some of it to make it shorter in order to make the trigger easier to depress. The parts are so finely made. It’s hard to imagine what an Olympos or Micron would do since this one seems to be so good but maybe one day I can get a Micron or similar.

Never tried a Pasche or Badger. Tried an Aztek once. Not bad if you don’t like cleaning it but not sure about spray quality. Probably not great but I don’t know.

Tim

"There, but for the grace of chance, go I."

pr1130

Right now, I use an Iwata Hp-B and the single action paasche H. I have found the paasche to be an excellent stippling brush able to produce quite a wide range of dot patterns.

I do fine art. Up to now, I have used the ABs mainly for background work but wish to use them far more extensively.

Peter

Milo

PR, I haven’t tried this with the HP-B I know with the HP-C/BC it has a stipling mode by removing the outside caps and lowering the pressure great for stipling dots. I think the B will allow you do to the same thing.

I would agree with Tim, if you can get a chance to try out one of the Iwata’s esp in the HP line which is there mid range line you will like em. See how one feels to you. I have an HP-SB, HP-C, HP-BC and a Micron-SB (I have pasche, badger as well but don’t use them any longer)

Milo

Life is good, have fun otherwise whats the point...
                                My Art | My Gallery

joe_jones

I customized the Iwata by removing the trigger spring and chopping off some of it to make it shorter in order to make the trigger easier to depress. The parts are so finely made. It’s hard to imagine what an Olympos or Micron would do since this one seems to be so good but maybe one day I can get a Micron or similar.

Are you chopping the spring in the air valve? I just got a HP-B (a used one)
                                    and the the trigger seems to be harder press then my HP-C. I was wondering what it would take to get the air valve apart to clean it. or replace parts.

For airbrushes I have

HP-C My first brush, I’m thinking the o ring need replaced the needle seem a little sticky until I get some paint in it,
                                    but I would to get the Teflon one so I can spray uros with it I have sprayed solvent base paint in it in the past so that why I thin the o ring is bad.

HP-B Just got it so I haven’t used it much it need a new nozzle :(

Richpen 312B Nice brush, I just got it (it’s use) I can get a finer line then the HP-C
                                    but the air valve leaks by the trigger.

Badger 100LG w/fine tip sprays as well as or better then the HP-C but the trigger movement is not as smooth.

Iwata Eclipse BCS works great with 1shot. I’ve only used it a few times if solvent base paints.

Paasche VL w/#5 needle and tip It sprays AutoAir pearls and flakes really well. I never really liked the girth of it.

4 Vega 2000 the old T&C ones and an Omni 3000 These are great, I use them mostly for t-shirts, murals and canvas
                                    painting using createx which is a little thick for the HP-C.

Joe

Penny220

I was wondering what it would take to get the air valve apart to clean it. or replace parts.

A pair of tweezers, unscrew the bottom where the airhose connects to and inspect the parts (careful, parts are small and spring loaded), I have only had to rebuild this part once and it was due to other things so…I’m going to doubt that’s your problem but go ahead and check it out.

HP-C My first brush, I’m thinking the o ring need replaced the needle seem a little sticky until I get some paint in it,
                                        but I would to get the Teflon one so I can spray uros with it I have sprayed solvent base paint in it in the past so that why I thin the o ring is bad.

It’s possible but I doubt it. First of all, an o-ring can be purchased at any automotive store. Yeah, the airbrush companies don’t tell you that. Secondly, I spray lac thinner through mine all the time and as long as you don’t soak a brush in it you should be fine. I’ve replaced one and it was “just ’cause” I ordered a bunch of other parts at the time and wanted to cover all basis. Hubby saw it when it came in and told me he had a bunch in his parts room. Oh well, live and learn. They sell different composit o-rings in parts stores too, so you can try them all if you like for the cost of one.

Iwata Eclipse BCS works great with 1shot. I’ve only used it a few times if solvent base paints.

One Shot is a bad idea to spray. The last generation was lead based and the second most toxic paint you can spray, the first is Imron, both require very special set ups to paint. Stick with urathanes.

I found that my eclipse has a much easier trigger than my hp-b. I actually like the eclipse trigger better. My olympos should be in the mail today, it’s equal to an HP-A, I can’t wait to try it. Micron should be ordered by christmas…air eraser is being returned tomorrow, hopefully they replace it for me, it’s just over 30 days old. I’ve used it twice now and the trigger is stuck for good now. I’ve had and tried others but I can’t forsee ever owning anything other than an iwata or olympos.

“A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.” Jackie Robinson "No one said it had to be real, but it's got to be something you can reach out and feel" Meatloaf
                                        joe_jones

A pair of tweezers, unscrew the bottom where the airhose connects to and inspect the parts (careful, parts are small and spring loaded), I have only had to rebuild this part once and it was due to other things so…I’m going to doubt that’s your problem but go ahead and check it out.

I was thinking the problem was more on the top side with the valve piston and packing o-ring. I use some orange cleaner a paint brush and removed alot of paint from the area, so I’m thinking some may have worked it’s way down inside.

It’s possible but I doubt it. First of all, an o-ring can be purchased at any automotive store. Yeah, the airbrush companies don’t tell you that. Secondly, I spray lac thinner through mine all the time and as long as you don’t soak a brush in it you should be fine. I’ve replaced one and it was “just ’cause” I ordered a bunch of other parts at the time and wanted to cover all basis. Hubby saw it when it came in and told me he had a bunch in his parts room. Oh well, live and learn. They sell different composit o-rings in parts stores too, so you can try them all if you like for the cost of one.

How do you get it out or more importantly back in? My HP-C is about 20 years old and I’ve been using it for 15 and in the first years it wasn’t cleaned very well. I always pull the needle back out of the nozzle after using and cleaning it and sometimes way back when I first started using it I had to use pliers to free the needle. so now I think there is either build up around it or something, cause it always feels like its stuck when I get it out, nothing bad just a little resistance when I pull the needle back to reseat it to spray. But after I add paint it works smoothly. I was thinking of sending it to coast airbrush cause I thought it would be a PITA to get the new one in.

Joe

Joe,

Sorry. Did not see your reply.

I removed the air valve spring (lost it across the room via spring action and searched on knees with flashlight) cut the spring shorter and recently cut it shorter still. Now, the lever is much easier to push down for air. Pulling back is okay. So, I’m pretty happy now with the tension.

Tim

"There, but for the grace of chance, go I."

Penny220

Joe, since it’s your needle getting stuck instead of the trigger I doubt your problem is in the assembly, it’s more like it’s dirty in the body it’self. Get out the boiling water and oxiclean and soak the heck out of it. When the water gets luke warm, use an old needle as a reamer, and push it through only backwards (blunt end first) Remove the nozzle before doing this. Stick a cleaning brush in anyplace you can reach it. Then repeat the process over and over until you feel it’s done. lube the airbrush before re-assembly.

Tim,
                                                There is this great invention called a magnet. It finds hidden pieces of metal in the thickest of carpets when we can’t even see them. If you get one with a handle, you won’t even find yourself on your hands and knees to do it :) Just pickin’ I never thought of doing that to my spring. I think I would have to have another one around before I did that but you are making me think that maybe I should put my old spring from my eclipse in my hp-b and see what that does. Great ideas anyway. Thanks

joe_jones

My HP-C has a sticky needle but it’s not that bad to worry about, til I start using uros in it and the o-ring goes bad (if it ever does).

My HP-B has a sticky trigger, I took the airvalve apart and cleaned the piston and it’s better. not great but a lot better.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 153 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.