Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Self-Portrait process picture + advice desired

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

So I’ve been working on a self-portrait loosely based on a photograph taken of me, and while it’s still largely incomplete, It’s definitely been frustrating. I’m still a student-artist, and this is my first time doing a really involved human form, let alone two human(ish) forms. I have two concerns, and I’d love any advice anyone can throw my way:

1. I’m really struggling with the monster/eldritch horror in the background, because I’m having a hard time visualizing something I really have no reference for. For example, I have absolutely no clue what to do with the eyes. What’s more unsettling: deep cavernous holes where they should be, or regular, human-ish eyes? Or something else maybe? He’s meant to look sunken and frail, but also spindly and creepy, almost like a spider in a way. I’m trying to make him look like an un-canny valley, starved corpse-like creature.

2. I have light brown/very dark blonde hair, depending on the lighting, and I’m really having trouble finding the colors I need to use for my hair. Any color-experts who can give me advice, that would be greatly appreciated. So far I’ve been using burnt sienna, raw umber, yellow ochre, a mix of pthalo and ultramarine blue for a more neutral-toned blue color, and white/naples yellow for highlights.

Next steps after that will be to tone down the pants and start working on some sort of pattern for the orange bag.

Portrait:

Reference Photo:

AnnieA

Wow…that’s quite a leap from the photo to the painting. Good job there. I kinda like the painting more or less as it is, with a very graphic quality, but it sounds like you have a different vision for it. I’m no help on the eyes of the monster, except to suggest googling and switching to the “Images” results.

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
        [FONT=Palatino]
        “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

ronsu18

(disclaimer; if my english comes out unintelligible it’s because tired people shouldn’t write but i can’t help myself.)

completely blown away by this painting. you have a fan. painting such a classic in perfectly, imminently modern way is a feat. your ability to revel in symbols yet never letting them take the center stage away from the human, the life, is amazing. the strong physical presence through color in cloth, in flesh, is wonderful!! the quality of swirls both synthetically perfect and organically recognizable speaks of hope, aspiration and destiny. the composition keeping it all moving is poetic and deliberate, inspirited and intelligent.
            it’s a beautiful, beautiful painting!

one petty, jealous remark: the swirls in front of the neck should recede and separate much more, but then you’re not finished there. for now they appear to define the shape of the neck.

how about googling ‘mummie’, ‘mummification’, related words to find images of skin stretched over skeleton?
            for hair, sorry, beginner here, but for dark blonde hair a quick test with titanium+ochre+umbers should point the direction. raw umber for shadow minus one step; more ochre no umber plus white for highlight; burnt umber or transp oxide red for turning the shape in light. earth colors were recently deemed a kiss of death for paint film integrity and longevity but you can search the web for many different ways to work around them, if so inclined.

it’s no longer allowed to speak of zinc white, but a mixing white would work wonders for luminous transparency in hair. layering, scumbling does too, of course. the easiest thing to do would be to test on another small canvas, or oil paper, to work with no stress on experiments.
            i wish you endless inspiration!

C&C welcome

CynicalSaint

I don’t have any useful suggestions for the character in the background, though I will mention that stereotypically, all black and glassy eyes are used to create an unsettling feeling. (This is why you see it a lot on aliens and in horror movies)

As for the hair, The lighting in your painting is very different from the lighting in your reference. It is going to change the coloring of your hair dramatically.

But I tend to use Burnt Umber for the base layers, then bring more color in for the highlights.

In the reference you posted for instance, I would paint almost the entire shape of the hair in burnt umber (even toned down with some black), then layer highlight on of raw umber, burnt sienna, yellow ochre and the tiniest bit of white. (Using a touch of grey to take some chroma out of the yellow ochre).

If you have a reference of yourself in lighting similar to the lighting you are trying to paint, that would be helpful. But even in fairly strong lighting, I would expect that you need some darker shadow areas.

"Mais que veux tu?" - Vincent van Gogh

1. I’m really struggling with the monster/eldritch horror in the background, because I’m having a hard time visualizing something I really have no reference for.

In this case, unfortunately, you are a bit on your own because it is an artistic decision-making thing. You’ll have to go looking for references that you like, and the things you may wish to incorporate might not all be from a single source. And you’ll also probably just make some of it up.

Think about your original concept and why you want the character in there, what you want him to look like, and do your search based on that. Video games have great creepy characters too, so those types of images might be a good place to look.

If you are going back and forth between a few ideas and need to visualize them, do it in your sketchbook.

2. I have light brown/very dark blonde hair, depending on the lighting, and I’m really having trouble finding the colors I need to use for my hair.

Go back to basics, earth colors, and work dark to light. Black (just in select areas), burnt umber, yellow ochre, white. Maybe a touch of an earth red somewhere too. But you can do most of it with burnt umber, yellow ochre, and white. You will have to make a decision about where your light source is and go from there.

Keep posting updates! it’s a cool sp. :)

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
                Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

slasher

Regarding the eyes, I would personally live them out, because otherwise it would give it a more “cartoonish” look, but that is just my personal opinion and taste.
                    Regarding the hair, the biggest issue I see is that it basically consists only of the local color and a bit of shading. If you want to fully capture the complexity of the hair color, you would first need to model a bit more the hair with the values describing the shape of the head and the direction of the light and then find the subtle modulation in hue in the different areas

ddattler

I wouldn’t spend too much time on the demon’s eyes unless you want it to be the center of interest. Unless you are going to add more detail to your portrait of course.

http://wildlifearts.com
                        Practice what you know, and it will help to make clear what now you do not know. ~ Rembrandt

In Art, Learning to see is at least as important as the actual creation of Art. ~ George Benedict,

Hi guys!

Sorry I’m late in replying, it’s been a hectic week. I really appreciate all the feedback, especially in reference to the hair and palette recommendations, and I’m definitely going to try to work on some of that advice. As for the demon/eldritch horror, I might just pull a Magritte and have the face totally obscured by something or even just make it a smooth, featureless surface. Not only would that work within my skill level, but I think it would be equally unsettling as creepy/dead/hollow eyes.

Thanks a bunch!

(disclaimer; if my english comes out unintelligible it’s because tired people shouldn’t write but i can’t help myself.)

completely blown away by this painting. you have a fan. painting such a classic in perfectly, imminently modern way is a feat. your ability to revel in symbols yet never letting them take the center stage away from the human, the life, is amazing. the strong physical presence through color in cloth, in flesh, is wonderful!! the quality of swirls both synthetically perfect and organically recognizable speaks of hope, aspiration and destiny. the composition keeping it all moving is poetic and deliberate, inspirited and intelligent.
                        it’s a beautiful, beautiful painting!

one petty, jealous remark: the swirls in front of the neck should recede and separate much more, but then you’re not finished there. for now they appear to define the shape of the neck.

how about googling ‘mummie’, ‘mummification’, related words to find images of skin stretched over skeleton?
                        for hair, sorry, beginner here, but for dark blonde hair a quick test with titanium+ochre+umbers should point the direction. raw umber for shadow minus one step; more ochre no umber plus white for highlight; burnt umber or transp oxide red for turning the shape in light. earth colors were recently deemed a kiss of death for paint film integrity and longevity but you can search the web for many different ways to work around them, if so inclined.

it’s no longer allowed to speak of zinc white, but a mixing white would work wonders for luminous transparency in hair. layering, scumbling does too, of course. the easiest thing to do would be to test on another small canvas, or oil paper, to work with no stress on experiments.
                        i wish you endless inspiration!

Ronsu,

Thank you so much! You have no idea how much that means to me. I’m always very hesitant to post my paintings here, and this was a nice confidence boost.

As for your comment regarding the neck swirls; I completely agree! Thank you for catching it. I’ll make sure I work on that in upcoming layers. :)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.