Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Bob RossAlexander technique – what’s your opinion?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
  • Author

It’s painting, it’s pretty; is it art?

PthaloGiblets

Technique isn’t art.

Is Bob Ross more than a teaching method or approach? Is his approach a ‘technique’ in the academic sense or is he simply a businessman, making a living encouraging an activity that includes some of the greatest artists who have ever lived?

Does art have an objective definition (or component) or is the definition entirely subjective?

CCC welcome and encouraged!
        (CCC == Chocolate Chip Cookies)

We study so many techniques, and so many different artists, even unconsciously we learn. Is the Alexander technique any different? A learning process. Bob Ross learnt it and made a lot of money from it. I know of some people who think that if you don’t suffer for your art and you make it commercial you are “selling out”. Personally, I could do with making more money from my art!

(and his video’s are soothing and my macaw really likes them! lol)

Ron Francis

Technique isn’t art.

Does art have an objective definition (or component) or is the definition entirely subjective?

I think ‘art’ originally did refer to technique. The art of blacksmithing etc.
            And it still can be used that way.
            However, somewhere along the way, ‘art’ has been elevated to such a divine status, it no longer has any meaning. Anything displayed in a museum or gallery can be described as art. Invisible art. (Seriously). A glass half full in an otherwise empty room. Pretty much anything you can think of.
            Art is so all encompassing, who can define it?
            My definition is, ‘anything someone calls art is art’. :clear:

Ron
            www.RonaldFrancis.com

Isn’t the Dada movement moto “anything man makes is art”? I could have my movements mixed up.

Hamburgefions

Today, a lot of paintings, sculptures etc.. are considered to be “art”, but it’s only within the next hundreds of years that history will define what is to be considered as “art” and what is not.

I am sure Bob Ross wil not be on that list.

Really? Then, in your opinion, is this also art? http://categorized-art-collection.tumblr.com/post/59777372314/keith-boadwee-untitled-purple-squirt-1995

Raffless

Today, a lot of paintings, sculptures etc.. are considered to be “art”, but it’s only within the next hundreds of years that history will define what is to be considered as “art” and what is not.

Considered by who? The Art critics. The mass media?
                    If we left it to them they would have discounted the Impressionists who they laughed at.

No. Art is in the eye of the beholder. Not anyone else.

Hamburgefions

Considered by who? The Art critics. The mass media?
                        If we left it to them they would have discounted the Impressionists who they laughed at.

Well, thats exactly what I mean by saying ‘ a hundreds of years later”.

If we went by output, I’m sure that Bob would be on that list. I wonder how many hundreds of paintings he did? I think there were around 400 episodes – and that is just the ones he did on tv

I would say you are probably right, that Bob Ross won’t be confused with one of the greatest painters of this generation. However, that’s not to say he didn’t have a huge impact. If it wasn’t for his Joy of Painting show, I never would have gotten into painting. I’m very fresh to all this, very new. I am OK with calling his work as it is, but I wouldn’t diminish the impact he’s had.

And the internet memes will always keep him relevant.

Oh, and hi everybody :wave:

Ron Francis

Really? Then, in your opinion, is this also art? [URL]http://categorized-art-collection.tumblr.com/post/59777372314/keith-boadwee-untitled-purple-squirt-1995[/URL]

Yes, that is exactly my point.
                            The title of the page is “Categorized Art Collection”.
                            My opinion doesn’t make any difference, it is being passed off as art, and I have seen others similar that are high profile ‘artists’.
                            Eg, a woman placing paint filled eggs in her vagina, dropping them to a canvas to splatter. Performance art.
                            As I said, I don’t think the word ‘art’ means anything any more.

Ron
                            www.RonaldFrancis.com

Forestgrass

I agree that “art” doesn’t really mean anything anymore because it encompasses such a huge array of types of art including performance art. I’ve always been a little confused by “performance art” in that it seems like it should be more under “performing” arts like plays, music, dance, etc.

Sometimes I think performance art detracts from painting/sculpture when it’s lumped under “visual art.” Maybe I’m just grumpy! If you put a quiet, but beautiful painting in a museum with performance art or really bizarre installation art, do you think anyone’s going to pay any attention to the quiet painting? I think people want to be “entertained.”

WFMartin

Re: Bob Ross/Alexander technique – what’s your opinion?

My opinion is that the techniques employed by both Bob Ross, and Bill Alexander are quite legitimate methods of painting, using the wet-in-wet approach. The only problem is that they didn’t use the technique to achieve the maximum result that they could have.

Now, there is a young artist named Kevin Hill, who uses almost the exact techniques as Ross/Alexander, but he brings it to a much higher level of expectations, and results.

Just Google “Kevin Hill Youtube”, and you will be amazed by the sort of paintings this guy creates, using much of the same techniques as Bob Ross, and Bill Alexander.

Nothing wrong with the techniques; it’s only about how you use them.:thumbsup:

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                    https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Anonymous

It’s painting, it’s pretty; is it art?

It is painting, sometimes pretty art.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
                                      • The topic ‘Bob RossAlexander technique – what’s your opinion?’ is closed to new replies.