WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity > The Book Club
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2017, 03:54 PM
UK

Hails from Scotland
Winning with The War of Art

I started reading this delightful book The War of Art again just to realise how deeply embedded this resistance to a higher calling is in our nature. So many excuses not to paint and write. I remember I have written or painted for hours once I start and especially if I am in an uninterrupted quiet(ish) environment, uninterrupted being the paramount criterion. But I have every excuse under the sun to not give myself that environment, at least on a consistent basis. I rob myself every day of living fully, of kneading that dough of potential into a useable skillset of a higher quality.

What a wonderful book to have as a reminder to really give oneself a chance to recognise the game of the mind which is always playing the house, and we all know that the house always wins. Well, not really if we know when to stop playing the game. And the key to that, I feel, and also suggested in this book is to recognise the game as soon as it begins.

I am loving this book and I highly recommend it to anyone who has felt, has been befuddled, frustrated, confused, irritated, defeated by an oblivious and elusive inner resistance, which can also result, quite often in a tragic 'do I really want to do this ... is it really my calling' inner dialogue. There is nothing worse than meeting the love of your life, be it painting, writing or any other higher calling, and then losing it to a shameless predator like this inner resistance.

Beat the game of inner resistance, by seeing it for what it is
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2017, 07:11 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States
Re: Winning with The War of Art

hey thanks, good recommendation! I will go and get it. My thought is on Maslows pyramid, things like food, shelter, safety are of greater concern to most people. To move to the higher levels, you supposedly have those things. I don't think that it is true. I often get political, but the poorer people are, the more they are interested in grubbing for money, and what they eat and wear. Finer things like culture, they leave to the 1% (who, we find, do not have the greatest taste).
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2017, 07:20 PM
UK

Hails from Scotland

It can be a bit difficult to starve or sleep on streets in the Western world so it is one's guess where the strife for basic requirements end and the space for paying attention to a higher calling starts to expand. I for one have never been afraid of 'poverty', I have the most liberating feeling knowing I am not tied to any belonging, I feel unattached, yet very connected to life. Through meditation I have realised that the real stuff can never be stolen. My intuition has become sharper and now I want to learn how to draw to really 'see' the world around me and immerse myself creatively in the eternal moment.

But it always nice to have enough money to buy old holland paints and Rosemary brushes.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2017, 11:40 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawabaz
It can be a bit difficult to starve or sleep on streets in the Western world so it is one's guess where the strife for basic requirements end and the space for paying attention to a higher calling starts to expand.

That's the myth. Most Americans are one or two paychecks away from utter ruin. When an American is not, they are among the luckier, but no one really makes a big deal about this. Most homeless in America are women and children who move from place to place.You would be surprised about sleeping in the streets in America. 1.56 million people are said to be homeless in America. 1 in 7 families are "food insecure" meaning they do not have enough money to eat regularly. I've been homeless (for years), and have had to go to missions and so on (for years) for hand outs, so I really empathize. However, you don't really see large groups of homeless together like on the streets of Brazil, but even so, you see them on the streets all the time, and walking around with their backpacks and sleeping bags.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2017, 03:06 AM
UK

Hails from Scotland

Thanks for the picture Use Her Name. I guess poverty has many faces. America, I guess because of how Hollywood portrays her to the rest of the world, never seems like a place which would have so many homeless and hungry. I didn't come across such scenes when I lived in States, in the 90s though so my direct experience there is also limited. My experience of being homeless and hungry was during my wandering years in India and despite its inconveniences and tragedies I found most of the fellow dwellers and travellers upbeat, funny and very resourceful. Somehow the constant fear of threats really sharpened their edges, and mine. Taught me a lot about myself and really showed me how little is required to feel comfortably not poor. I hope your situation is better now. Do let me know what you think of the book if you will.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2017, 09:12 AM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Hey thanks! will read the book. Yes, I am better off now. And yes, the version of America that gets to the big and little screen, often is unrealistic. For years (20 at least) I have not watched television, or seen movies other than those costume/historical dramas and documentaries, so I do not "consume" the idealized America. Many immigrants coming here finally get that they were lured here by an idealized version. Obviously, if you are a Doctor, or Engineer from India, you will more likely have the nice high quality life. And if you know of "relative poverty," it really matters how poor or well-off your immediate contacts, friends, family are, and you respond to that as the "norm." Sorry to have hi-jacked your post!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2017, 10:23 AM
California

Hails from United States

Hi Hawabaz and Use Her Name,
I love that book too, its a life changer. I highly recommend downloading the audio version on your phone or tablet too for added efficacy. Steven Pressfield reads the book himself and he's a talented narrator as well as writer. Its great to hear a chapter as you are brushing your teeth in the morning or in the car doing errands when you could be making art, lol-really wakes me up to my own wiley ways of resisting making art every day.
This is my first post, thanks for listening.