WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Teacher's Toolbox
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2015, 02:23 PM
A Local Legend
New Jersey

Hails from United States
Introduction to watercolor at center for senior citizens

I will be teaching a 6 week class in beginning watercolor at a local senior citizen center. I use tube colors myself, and will encourage the students to purchase these - my supply list recommends colors and brands for professional grade as well as student grade paints, but the center wishes my to indicate that they will provide pan sets for those who can not afford the items I have listed. I have resigned myself to the possibility of some people showing up with their own Prang sets. I'm starting the first lesson with painting three fall leaves, one with basic
wash on dry paper, one with glazing, and one wet-in-wet with charged colors. Week two will be painting a monochromatic layered landscape (think Blue Ridge), with a simple pine tree on a bit of land in the foreground. A wet-in-wet sunset will probably be next.

Anyone with advice, or other simple projects to recommend?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-27-2015, 03:40 PM
Hillsboro, Ohio

Hails from United States
Re: Introduction to watercolor at center for senior citizens

Don't be discouraged by the Prang watercolors. I knew an old guy that used them and did some fantastic work. I think the paper is more important, and that should be really stressed.
I'm thinking back to my first watercolor classes and we did some 5X7 wet into wet skies with different colors in them. I ended up making some little landscapes from them. We did some wash exercises with circles and squares and did the washes with the entire palette so that we knew what our paints looked like when dry. I had fun sponge painting trees. Masking off a birch tree and doing a snow scene would be fun too. If you do some of the projects ahead and show them where they will be "going" when they follow what you say, it will be easier to understand. Watercolors are tricky as you know and it's so easy to get mud. Heaven knows I made enough mud myself. Wishing you much success in your class!

I love your watercolors on your site! Your florals are lovely but snowy branches is my favorite!!!

Last edited by Hazartist : 09-27-2015 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Forgot something
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-27-2015, 06:28 PM
A Local Legend
New Jersey

Hails from United States
Re: Introduction to watercolor at center for senior citizens

Thanks, Hazartist. The wet-in-wet 5x7s sound like a good idea. And you are so right about the paper I am going to encourage them to invest in some good paper.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2017, 07:25 AM
Denmark

Hails from Denmark
Introduction to watercolor at center for senior cit

Show pictures of yourself and your family. Show pictures of your travels, that also makes for a really interesting introduction lesson. Also, have the students stand up and introduce each other.