Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Difference between craft and artists acrylics

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Could someone explain to me the main differences between artists acrylics and craft acrylics (such as Jo sonja’s brand for folk art). All of my paintings have been done in craft acrylics and I’m curious as to why I need to change to artists quality.

CarlyHardy

the artist acrylics are more concentrated in paint pigment…so the colors are richer, deeper…more blendable and mixable. The craft acrylics have lots of medium added which makes them easier to spread quickly…but not as easy to attain different textures with the paint. Also most craft paints are not as archival as true artists paints. Jo Sonja does make the acrylics in tubes which are better than most craft paints however. Just remember..the more liquid….the less paint.
        carly

Originally posted by amanda:
        [b]Could someone explain to me the main differences between artists acrylics and craft acrylics (such as Jo sonja’s brand for folk art). All of my paintings have been done in craft acrylics and I’m curious as to why I need to change to artists quality.[/b]

Amanda, I do most of my work with craft acrylics too. I like the very thin texture. The pigments are generally the same, but less than w/ artist grade acrylics. I do multiple glazes, so the pigement level is no issue to me. I dont like the thick nature of artists acrylics. I might add that you can use all of the same acrylic mediums w/ craft acrylics as you can w/ artist grade, even the thickeners if you want.I dont stick w/ any one brand, but will buy ie red in delta, prussian blue in folk art etc. different brands have some colors that are better than others, look around and experiment. If you like craft acrylics stick w/ them. Your pocket book wont hurt as much, also. Oh by the way everything that I have posted in the forum was done using craft acrylics.

jim

paintfool

I don’t know much about acrylics but i do own some of both types & yes the craft grades are very thin compared to artist grade but, there is a medium that can be used for better flow with the artist grade isn’t there? Wouldn’t this make the artist grade paints (which have been stated to be richer in pigmnet, a plus)more easily spread & still maintaining archival qualities and rich color? …just wondering. Cheryl

Golden has fluid acrylics that carry the same pigment load as their heavy body acrylics. Also check into lines that have acrylics produced specifically for airbrush. These also tend to have high pigment load *and* be more fluid in nature. You can check out the Golden paints on their website: http://www.goldenpaints.com and Badger Airbrush Company has their own line of fluid acrylic paints: http://www.badger-airbrush.com/bapaint.htm

Hope that helps you out!

Judith

——————
            [email]Judith Northwood[/email]
            Northwood Studios

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
          • The topic ‘Difference between craft and artists acrylics’ is closed to new replies.