Home Forums Explore Subjects Portraiture What sort of preliminary work do you do for an alla prima portrait?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    lanayashina

Hi guys. Question for those of you who do alla prima commission portraits. How do you prepare for it? Do you do a thumbnail, a colour study? Both?

Hope to make friends here! My instagram lana_yashina
        Always grateful for C&C!

I paint many commission portraits. My methods vary depending on how much time the client can give me.
        If I have as much time as I want- I make regular times with the sitter and paint them entirely from life.
        If time is limited, I paint with a combination of sketches, photos and colour studies. Pastels are my choice for the quick sketches because I can get a good sense of colour and light and the composition.
        Then I use the references to paint the portrait- usually in oils. I do some pastel portraits as well.
        The first layer on the canvas is paint with neutral (usually ultra blue and umber) oils thinned with OMS. I wipe off with a cotton rag, then map out the darks. Then depending on the time I have, I get to blocking in the main areas.
        Just a matter of refining from then on. Sounds simple!
        Every portrait is a new opportunity to learn. I love to explore a challenging pose and the attempt to get the sense of the person I am painting.

bethany
        moderator in figures & portraits blogs: artbybethany life-presence
        website www.bethanyart.com
        My inspiration is art... because without art, we would just be stuck with reality. ~Daniel R. Lynch

Tipo

To me Ala Prima and commissioned portraits don’t go together, usually with a commission there are some preliminary meetings to get to know the client and discover who they are and what they want.
            The portrait will usually require multiple sittings, some without the subject if there is a background.

Alla Prima is usually done on a whim with someone you know, main thing then is to get the lighting right, get them to do something that entails returning to the same position, (usually some sort of work) so the portrait doesn’t become stilted.

This is my first post, so Hi from Tipo.

kentiessen

I would probably not agree to an alla-prima commission. Portraits are such a challenge and a commission usually means some involved expectations from the client.

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com
                Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!

lanayashina

I paint many commission portraits. My methods vary depending on how much time the client can give me.
                    If I have as much time as I want- I make regular times with the sitter and paint them entirely from life.
                    If time is limited, I paint with a combination of sketches, photos and colour studies. Pastels are my choice for the quick sketches because I can get a good sense of colour and light and the composition.
                    Then I use the references to paint the portrait- usually in oils. I do some pastel portraits as well.
                    The first layer on the canvas is paint with neutral (usually ultra blue and umber) oils thinned with OMS. I wipe off with a cotton rag, then map out the darks. Then depending on the time I have, I get to blocking in the main areas.
                    Just a matter of refining from then on. Sounds simple!
                    Every portrait is a new opportunity to learn. I love to explore a challenging pose and the attempt to get the sense of the person I am painting.

Thank you for such a detailed response! Very helpful!

Always grateful for C&C!

lanayashina

I would probably not agree to an alla-prima commission. Portraits are such a challenge and a commission usually means some involved expectations from the client.

I agree with both of these points)) It’s just that for a very small size i prefer the alla prima look, just a personal taste preference i guess. So i wanted to try it out.

Always grateful for C&C!

lanayashina

To me Ala Prima and commissioned portraits don’t go together, usually with a commission there are some preliminary meetings to get to know the client and discover who they are and what they want.
                            The portrait will usually require multiple sittings, some without the subject if there is a background.

Alla Prima is usually done on a whim with someone you know, main thing then is to get the lighting right, get them to do something that entails returning to the same position, (usually some sort of work) so the portrait doesn’t become stilted.

This is my first post, so Hi from Tipo.

Thanks, i see your point :)

Always grateful for C&C!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.