Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone How many colors on your palette?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    indraneel

The argument came up recently, and we have no clinical trials to back up responses…!

Count only your frequently used palettes, those used in the last 6 months, not something from forever ago. If you’ve last painted more than six months ago, please also leave a comment…. and hopefully paint more. If a color exists on the palette, it gets counted even if used rarely. If a color exists that absolutely never gets used (like a reference black or something), it can be omitted. However, accuracy is not paramount, as counting is binned. Multiple choice enabled to reflect limited /plein air /studio … palettes

so let loose the pans of paints…

oops.. almost forgot… those using only fresh tube colors every painting on a clean washed palette, please count as you see fit… the colors you keep near at hand, take outdoors etc… you know what to do

May also list your palette if you want, but not necessary. And yes, all comments, explanations, excuses welcome!

Phat Philbert

12, cool yellow, warm yellow, orange, warm red, cool red, purple, warm blue, cobalt, cool blue, green, neutral tint, earth tone

Charles
            Ohio

I don’t have one characteristic palette yet for paintings, so I have many colors as I continue to experiment with what I like.

I have: Prussian blue, indanthrone blue, phthalo blue, cobalt blue, ultramarine, cerulean, phthalo green, sap green, lemon yellow, yellow ochre, quinacridone gold, quinacridone rose, alizarin crimson hue, Indian red, burnt sienna, raw sienna, burnt umber, raw umber, Payne’s grey and neutral tint.

The variety of blues is really important to me, and I will be keeping all of them (except probably Prussian blue).  The same for the yellows, they all have uses.  Sap green I put on as a convenience color but haven’t used since.  Phthalo green has been surprisingly useful for mixing (adding a blue/green to mixed blues in the water and elsewhere).  I’m undecided on quin rose + alizarin crimson, I lean toward alizarin crimson most of the time and I am not sure it’s worth adding quin rose for different situations, even though it has more mixing options.  I hear raw sienna and quin rose is very helpful in skin tones.  I use the Da Vinci Indian red, they are my preferred tube brand, but it’s not my favorite PR101, I’d rather have more of a light red oxide.  Burn sienna is a shockingly useful color.  Burnt umber I find myself using much less than I would expect, I don’t really like having a completely basic brown, but it’s useful for mixing darks with ultramarine.  Raw umber is a novelty.  I could probably drop one of the two grays, but I use neutral tint more often for darkening.

vikram14

I realized early one (and thankfully) that I don’t use too many colors especially specialty ones (Daniel Smith, I am looking at you!) as much as I would like to. I always end up using a limited palette as I feel you get such a great range mixing colors rather than just taking paint out of the tube or pan. That said, I do end up buying more colors especially if I purchased a pre made set. I am never 100% happy with the selection and replace few colours with my own. That said my current main palette consists of the following:  Sennelier Yellow Light, Helios Purple (PR122), Rose Dore Madder Lake (PR255), Burnt Umber, Burnt Sienna, Ultramarine Blue, Pthalo Blue, Viridian, Hookers Green, Warm Sepia – all from Sennelier, Monte Amiata Natural Sienna from DS and Lemon Yellow from White Nights (least used color of the lot as I have found the mid yellow from Sennelier works for most purposes). So 12 colors in all.

WATERCOLOUR | MIXED MEDIA | ILLUSTRATION
                https://www.instagram.com/vikram14/
                https://vikramnaik.com

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.