Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Studio The Oil Stick Party – Join In!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 748 total)
  • Author
    Lyta

This is the place to share your doodles, experiments, swatches, discoveries and anything else related to oil sticks!

First off, let me direct you to another helpful thread on the topic:

Oil Stick Brand Comparison

As for myself, I have some doodles right here in the brand comparison thread as well as a current WIP of a sea shell.

And now I’m looking forward to everyone else’s contributions to the fun. :D It would be particularly great to have a few of our experienced oil painters and oil stick painters along, because I’m only just beginning in this medium.

:cat:

Pat Isaac

Okay, I get mine out this week….I have R&F pigment sticks. I am going to stickie this so hope you will get out your sticks and join the fun. Thanks, Lyta.

Pat

lalflen

I’m also a beginner, but I would like to join in – Will post something tomorrow.

Happy Painting
                Linda

http://lalflen.wordpress.com/
                oldrockchick

Ahah foiund it – I was looking in the wrong place… as usual…..

I want to join in but I need to finish my piece for RG’s challenge first.

I have a skin-tone swatch I made up I’ll find it as you might find it interesting…

I found it…

This is a series of experiments I made as I was planning to use my collection of Sennelier Oil Bars for life drawing. (The class was cancelled) . Since then my oil bars have lived in the drinks fridge in the kitchen/……
                    thought you might find it interesting.

These are the bars I have…. (Palette)

From which I produced these by using some of them,….

bit messy but I guess you get the idea.
                    (I think I may have posted this on the Gushed last year sometime but it will have been lost and this is a more appropriate place for it)

As for experience.. I have only ever done one piece in Oil Sticks but have been paintign in oils (heath permitting) since 2006)

Lyta

I’m looking forward to everyone’s contributions! :D

In the meantime, I’m drooling over the colour chart (Blick has great swatches!) with a firm resolution to not order more colours until I’ve done at least two or three paintings with the two sticks I have! I don’t want to end up with lots of unbeloved supplies yet again just because I keep buying based on first impressions. :o Although, in this case, I’m fairly confident I will continue to like the medium. :lol:

The very thin background of my WIP still dries awfully slowly, but I want it reasonably dry before I smear on more paint and make a mess of things.

Edit: Lin, you added the charts just as I was posting! They look lovely. Interestingly, the burnt umber is the only colour on your palette that’s on my “want” list.

lalflen

Hi All,

I really like doing underpaintings for my oil pastels with Paintstiks. So I pulled a winterscape off the landscape challenge, dusted off the paintstiks and got to it this morning while I was doing laundry. I’ll post the first two —
                            Used 16 x 11 Colourfix paper.

After a little more work – looks like this –

Hope to finish it off this week. :o

Happy Painting
                            Linda

http://lalflen.wordpress.com/
                            Pat Isaac

Great starts, Linda. It will be awhile before I get to mine.

Pat

Lyta

Looks great so far, Linda! :clap:

hollyga

Hi all – I don’t have any oil sticks but I may have to get some after watching this party for a while! Lyta, I really like you monochrom with just Mars Red and Titanium White – is Mars Red really that chocolatey looking or is it just my computer colors? Lin, your swatches are great – I really like being able to see the subtle changes in the blending. Linda, love the start of this. Hm-m-m oil sticks for underpainting – – hm-m-m-m. It will be a long time before I can invest in any new art stuff, but these are really intriguing!

Holly :wave:

Holly :wave:
                                        Proud to be a member of Oil Pastel Society

Lyta

Hi Holly! :wave:

For Mars Red at least, the colour swatches at Blick’s are pretty accurate:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/sennelier-artists-oil-sticks/

Just click on the magnifying glass next to each colour for a larger swatch of the paint and its tint. Mars Red is definitely red, so it’s not quite chocolatey.

On a seperate note and without knowing the exact exchange rate for $ vs. €, I think I paid only about half of Blick’s price.

robertsloan2

Lyta, thanks for starting this Oil Stick Party! I bought a set of used ones on the Swap Shop a while back but haven’t dared use them yet. Perhaps today’s the day for me to give those a workout! I’ve got primaries and some nice earth tones, think I’ve got a green in there even… let’s see what I can come up with.

Linda, your landscape is gorgeous. I love this. I only hope mine doesn’t come out too bad compared to this!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
                                                Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
                                                blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

Lyta

Hi Robert, great that you’re joining the party! Please post your experiments. :D

Since I’m a true art supply addict, I asked the knowledgable people over in the Colour Theory forum for opinions on my ideas on expanding my palette a little bit. Here’s a link to the thread, and of course anyone here who’d like to offer an opinion is most welcome to do so either here or in that thread.

I also updated my seashell WIP but have no other doodles to offer for this thread.

robertsloan2

Well, I did a painting, but now I’m having trouble downloading the photo off my phone because the application doesn’t want to install on Vista on my new computer. (bangs head on desk). So I might have to wait till it dries and scan it in order to get it to work. Very frustrating. Kitten isn’t home to help sort it out either.

Lyta, since your current palette is just a dark earth red and white, I’d like to suggest my three favorite primaries from Winsor & Newton. You should be able to find some version of them in Sennelier if that’s the brand you want.

Lemon Yellow
                                                        Permanent Rose
                                                        Ultramarine or French Ultramarine

Permanent Rose is a breed of Quinacridone Magenta or Violet, it’s a quinacridone color, a purplish red. It makes a good orange with lemon yellow but even more, it makes good strong purples with Ultramarine.

If you want six primaries, then a buttery slightly orangy yellow like Cadmium Yellow Medium, a scarlet (orange cast) red like Cadmium Red Light, and Pthalo Blue aka Winsor Blue would be my next suggestions.

I got this palette out of the watercolor information on the Winsor & Newton website, but it’s fantastic with oils or acrylics or any other painting medium.

For secondaries I’d suggest Cadmium Orange or its hue, Sap Green or Hookers Green or Pthalo Green Yellow Shade (for super bright) and Dioxazine Violet or Purple, or whatever it’s called, might be Winsor Violet.

My reasoning is that it’s a lot easier to mix muted colors with spectrum brights than it is to try to get spectrum brights from muted earth colors.

Yellow Ochre, Burnt Sienna and Burnt Umber are important too, I got used to having them decades ago and treat those as essentials too. Burnt Umber with the Ultramarine gives a great mixed black.

Optional colors, Paynes Grey as a bluish blackish darkener is great, it’s a lovely color for monochromes and for mixing to darken cool colors.

It depends on how many you want, those first three primaries might be enough to mess around with for a while.

Using mine was the messiest medium I’ve tried to date. They’re very slippery once the peel is off, but the impasto effects were a lot of fun and I didn’t get that overblended look that I sometimes did with oil paints. I did a big red-orange poppy from memory and gave it a dark background using earth tones — burnt umber, burnt sienna, yellow ochre and a dash of sap green when I decided it needed the complement. It came out pretty cool for something I just did off the top of my head without a reference, but now it’s off drying in the bathroom.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com

Lyta

Thanks for your long reply, Robert! All of that makes perfect sense – although I might go to a secondary palette – but before I decide I’ll see if I get any feedback on my muted palette idea… I’m really not into chromatics although I know I can mix everything from a couple of those. :o Crazy me, really… And probably stupid right from the start. :rolleyes:

robertsloan2

Then go for your muted palette and just add the primary triad I first mentioned, so that you don’t have any regrets or trouble mixing up anything that isn’t in your muted palette.

For a muted palette I really like Yellow Ochre, Burnt Sienna and Paynes Grey as a muted triad. That worked well for me in watercolor, but is very very muted. That’s treating the Paynes Grey as a blue, since it’s ultramarine and a bit of dioxazine violet (sometimes) and a black mixed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 748 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.