WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > Partner: North Light Books
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2012, 11:37 PM

Can I run a 12 vdc LED light using 10 vdc?

Can I run a 12 vdc LED light using 10 vdc?
I have a led lamp (Voltage Amp: 12V - .033 AMP) that I want to hook up to a systems that will put off 10V DC. Will this work? What problems will i run into?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2013, 01:00 AM
A Local Legend
Illinois

Hails from United States
Re: Can I run a 12 vdc LED light using 10 vdc?

I don't believe that you would have any problems doing so. The intensity of light from the LED might be a little bit less than it would be at the higher voltage, but I doubt it would be noticeable.

P.S. I don't understand what that has to do with this forum!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2015, 01:03 PM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States

Only until you burn up the power supply. LED's operate within a very narrow and specific voltage range, so that as you decrease the voltage being supplied the amount of current increases through both power supply and LED electronic components. This will destroy your power supply, your LED light and could start a fire in your house.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2015, 08:32 AM
Enthusiast
New York

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L
Only until you burn up the power supply. LED's operate within a very narrow and specific voltage range, so that as you decrease the voltage being supplied the amount of current increases through both power supply and LED electronic components. This will destroy your power supply, your LED light and could start a fire in your house.

Actually, in this case, according to Ohm's Law, the opposite is true. LED's are current limited by resistors to a certain maximum voltage they are designed for. Lower the voltage and you will lower the current. Increasing the voltage will increase the current.

Ohm's Law
V=I*R V=Voltage, I=Current, R=Resistance
or
R=V/I in this case R= 12/.033 -- R=364 ohms. Using this figure lower the voltage and see what happens.

I=V/R I=10/364 -- I=.027 amps of current.

The end result will be lower light output from the LED.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." ...Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by ArtL : 08-29-2015 at 08:38 AM.