Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Gallery Roses & Blambles revisited. X posted Flowers & Botanicals

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ScarlettRose

A few years ago I painted an acrylic version of this, I x posted it in the Decorative acrylics and also Flowers & Botanicals galleries last week. So I Thought I would revisit this in watercolour. This is the result.
        Painted on Bockingford 140gsm and would you believe it Van Gogh watercolours.
        I love how this came out using what is student grade paints. In my opinion, these paints are very much better than just student watercolours.

C&C welcome.

Cheers Rosie.

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.” ― Pablo Picasso
        [/COLOR][FONT="Verdana"]:wink2:

The roses are very delicate.
        Did you use white gouache or lift the lighter parts of the petals?
        Anyway it looks great.

Esther

rossmarie

The shapes to your rose petals look very good indeed but I suggest you need more contrast and variety – darks in the recesses and light (even unpainted) edges to lift the painting. Your avatar is quite a good example. A little bit of unpainted white paper often adds some vitality.

Mike :) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Bill

A very nice painting and I agree with Mike on the petals. Your leaves show some nice variety.
                Bill

Be kinder than necessary

ErnstG

Very nice flower!

Ernst

Meine Seiten - My website
                    Malen ist nicht alles im Leben - aber ohne Malen ist alles nichts!
                    Painting is not everything in life - but without painting everything is nothing!

joesurfer

I think Van Gogh is the exact same paint as Artist grade Rembrandt with just not as many colors offered. It is as good as any other professional paint I’v used and in my experience is superior to many W&N Artist grade colors. ( For example Burnt sienna and Ultramarine van Gogh blows away W&N in mix-ability and as good or better pigment quantity and last longer and make much better black). Only colors I dont like in Van Gogh are the greens. The green Colors just don’t float my boat. I also think you would have been good to leave white of paper so your dark’s would look darker and would give the painting a full range of values. If you add some darks in those rose’s and use white Goauch for highlights, It would make them pop out better i think.

I have just been thrown out of the inn where I was staying, naked as a worm. Claude Monet

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.