WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Works Lobby
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2005, 10:56 AM
Immortalized
Round Rock, TX

Hails from United States
Re: Trying to help my father, a glassblower

Just to let ya'll know, Heritage Glass is in New Braunfels and not set up for glass blowing!
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2005, 01:34 PM

Jennie Garcia has a glass blowing studio in the old part of S.A., I don't know the exact address, but she has glass blowers daily with benches set up for the public to watch. Also a gallery/open studio in the back . You might just look her up in the phone book. She is a lovley person and I think she would really enjoy your father's knowledge/ she would have alot to share with him.
good luck.
teresa j
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2005, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Fort Worth TX

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis W
This man is up there as a national treasure. He does not go back as far as Bill Rassmussen, but he is trained in one of the most difficult and hardest type of lampworking there is.
He is a master of the cross fire torch. I have known him maybe 15 or 20 years. I met him first when he came into my gallery in Old Town and introduced himself. We have traded pieces about ten years ago.
His torches are six or seven torches in a cresent, then the same on the opposite side. You work with a curved row away from you and the second facing you. The flames cancel each other out and create an "oven like area' in the middle. He uses French and German soft glass. He does many blown designs of animals. Very much in the style of the Lauche hollow animals.
This man knows glass from an era when things took time. He does not deserve to just have studio privilages. He deserves for some one that is a thinker to get a studio built with him in mind, AND CHARGE ADMISSION TO WATCH. Arrange classes to bring lampworkers in and pay as a lecture demo class. He knows things that will not be found in most books or any videos.
Whom ever gives this man a place to work , HAS JUST WON THE LOTTERY. Better than having the Pope come by and say Sunday prayer. Better than having some lame video seller (like myself) come by and do a razzle dazzle. I believe that his O2 source is not tanked but compressed.
Just my 2 cents. Wish he lived close to me.
Lewis C Wilson

This made me cry at work. I wish I knew the man. Maybe I can make the drive from Dallas before he retires.

Patricia
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2005, 04:22 PM

Hails from United States

Thanks for the reply on the glasses and ventilation. I was just curious -- info on long-term exposure is tough to find, and though I'm a safety freak I think much of what is considered the current standard is overkill. I'll be burned at the stake for saying so, but that's nothing new.

Again, I wish he were here!!
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2005, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Texas Big bend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadbroad
Thanks for the reply on the glasses and ventilation. I was just curious -- info on long-term exposure is tough to find, and though I'm a safety freak I think much of what is considered the current standard is overkill. I'll be burned at the stake for saying so, but that's nothing new.

Again, I wish he were here!!
I sure don't agree that current safety standards are overkill.I didn't begin torchwork until late in life.Even tho I'm not young I'm glad I take all the precautions I can...Roger.

Last edited by grandbeads : 12-28-2005 at 07:59 PM.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2005, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Near the Beach

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadbroad
-- info on long-term exposure is tough to find, and though I'm a safety freak I think much of what is considered the current standard is overkill. I'll be burned at the stake for saying so, but that's nothing new.

I`ll buy you a steak dinner I have 28 years How`s that for long term

Back to the original post...

If you have the chance, visit Larry Williams`shop. Make a purchase He has some interesting and reasonably priced lampwork glass.

There`s also a room with his personal collection...A lampwork history lesson

By the way, Two years ago he was working boro on a small gas/oxygen cross fire...

Plato
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2006, 03:23 PM

Such kind words! Thank you so much!! I've just gotten back on this site since the holidays, or I would have responded sooner.

Daddy is retiring, officially today. La Villita [or the Historical Society?? or the City?? -- My mother didn't provide details (and probably doesn't know them)] is giving him a luncheon today at La Villita in Bolivar Hall. He knows about the luncheon, but doesn't know that he's being presented with a plaque honoring him. My sister is flying in for the day to surprise him and my mother, and attend the luncheon (and take pictures!). She has found out that there are 88 people to be there (unknown to my folks) -- who in the world they all are, we have no idea!! As you probably know, there's no way they are all from La Villita!

I very much appreciate your comments, and your telling the glassblowers out there about him (I don't know much at all about the details, as you have guessed, I'm sure). I'm going to print out your note (and the Rasmussens') and show it to them Sunday, the 5th; my brother and sister and I are giving him and our mother a retirement brunch then. I know he'll be pleased, and my mother can keep it with the other recent publicity. He's been quite the local celebrity lately, appearing on newscasts on 2 or 3 TV stations, and in a long article in the "Neighbors" section of the "San Antonio Express News."

Judy Adams
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2006, 07:11 PM

Hi, Lewis Wilson. I posted a reply earlier, intended for you, but I think I didn't do it correctly, so I'm trying it this way. Here's a copy of my reply from earlier today.

Such kind words! Thank you so much!! I've just gotten back on this site since the holidays, or I would have responded sooner.

Daddy is retiring, officially today. La Villita [or the Historical Society?? or the City?? -- My mother didn't provide details (and probably doesn't know them)] is giving him a luncheon today at La Villita in Bolivar Hall. He knows about the luncheon, but doesn't know that he's being presented with a plaque honoring him. My sister is flying in for the day to surprise him and my mother, and attend the luncheon (and take pictures!). She has found out that there are 88 people to be there (unknown to my folks) -- who in the world they all are, we have no idea!! As you probably know, there's no way they are all from La Villita!

I very much appreciate your comments, and your telling the glassblowers out there about him (I don't know much at all about the details, as you have guessed, I'm sure). I'm going to print out your note (and the Rasmussens') and show it to them Sunday, the 5th; my brother and sister and I are giving him and our mother a retirement brunch then. I know he'll be pleased, and my mother can keep it with the other recent publicity. He's been quite the local celebrity lately, appearing on newscasts on 2 or 3 TV stations, and in a long article in the "Neighbors" section of the "San Antonio Express News."

Judy Adams
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2018, 02:01 AM

Trying to Find a Lampworker

I posted to this forum about 12 years ago (hard to believe its been that long ago!), when I was trying to help my father, Larry Williams of San Antonio, TX, find a place to store some items and set up some fires after his planned retirement. I am turning to you all once again for help 😊 Im trying to find a local lampworker who is willing to do some repair work for me.

My dad did retire in 2006, and enjoyed 10 years of retirement with my mother. He passed away in May 2016, at the age of 97. My brother, sister, and I inherited the glass pieces that Daddy had in his shop, as well as the ones he kept at home for himself and our mother. Three of the pieces that I have are damaged, and I would really like to get them fixed if possible. I dont really know where to look, so Im reaching out to you for help.

I probably need someone who does miniature work. I have a small crystal network table (about 2 tall, 4 legs, top about 2 in diameter); a sewing machine, also crystal and network (about 6.25 tall at the tallest point, and table portion is about 1.5 x 2.5); and a wildflower, with a pale green stem and leaves and light pink petals (about 6.5 tall). I live in Leander, north of Austin. Im hoping to find someone near the Austin or San Antonio area.

We were always told by our father not to try to glue broken pieces back together. 😊 It would not be possible to glue the table together even if I tried; it has to be repaired properly. I believe the same is probably true of the sewing machine. The wildflower *might* be able to be glued, but its very delicate, and I would prefer to have it repaired.

Id be happy to send pictures of the pieces if you provide me an email address.

Thank you!

Judy Adams