Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Talk Manet Pastels, secretly Handrolled Richeson

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Misspris

Jackson’s art supplies has Arch Art Manet pastels 18 full stick landscape colors on clearance for $16 bucks. I bought that set a month or so ago, thinking it was the last of the crop, but they have them up again. I’m pretty sure they are the same as the Jack Richeson Hand rolled pastels. I also have the Jack Richeson hand rolled pastels labeled as such and they are to my novice observations one in the same and I’ve read on here from old post others who think the same. The Richeson labeled one’s landscape set of 18 full stick goes for about $55 bucks, so I figured I’d let you guys know incase you want to scoop them up, not sure how many they have left or if they will get anymore, as I’m assuming it’s old stock.

Disclaimer, I could be wrong… but they look exactly the same.

So are these the flat chunky ones like in this photo? I can’t seem to see an image on the Jackson’s website. Sounds like a super good deal!

Misspris

It’s 18 full sticks on the left. On the right is Richeson set. I just tried both brands side by side for comparison and I think the Manets might be a bit smoother, and the Richesons a bit more grittier. Pigment load was hard to tell cause the set of Manets I have are mostly very muted colors, whereas the Richeson is their set of 20 flora colors so very bright and vibrant. It did seem as though the Richesons had maybe more pigment, but again colors are much more high chroma and I didn’t have any real similar colors in either set to compare, except the light cream ochre color, and since that color is very light to begin with, it was harder to tell. So are the small differences I felt due to different pigments having a different feel, though each set did seem to have a consistent feel.
            But the art arch Manet handmade pastels come in 3 different sizes, full stick, half stick and square all the exact same size dimensions as the Richeson which also come in those 3 types. They also have the the same wrapper just different logo, both use the word handmade as opposed to Handrolled, the packaging is the exact same from what I gathered online. I bought this set in the first place because I heard that Manets where Europeans branding of Richeson, but it was from a few years back. But I guess you never really know with these things. Either way I think for $16 dollars they are well worth that and more.

Wow, thanks for all the info. I ordered a set and we’ll see how they work. At $16 you can’t go wrong. Jack Richeson also has the same chunky shaped ones as in the photo I sent, and they are called Underpainting Blocks. Interesting how some of the pastel brands overlap like that. I know Jack Richesons used to be closely affiliated with Unison, here in the US. In fact they both contained the same name for a while. I believe Jack Richeson used to work for Unison or something. So the pastels are very similar, in fact other than the colors I can’t tell them apart. I have lots of both. I also have purchased pastels in the past that are Grumbacher/Schminckes. These old Grumbachers actually have Schmincke on the box, and on each pastel they say the same thing, Schmincke on one side and Grumbacher on the other. These pastels are definitely NOT Schminckes though, they are the same size and hardness and consistency of the Grumbachers. The only difference seems to be the name. The “true” Schminckes are bigger and softer. Weird. Anyway, thanks so much for the tip and also the information, it really helps!

Misspris

Yes, I saw that with a set of old Schminckes/Grumbacher that were on eBay recently. I can’t seem to find anywhere to purchase these Manets anywhere. They do have a website, though it shows an old copyright yr from a few yrs ago. I tried contacting them through the email provided cause I would have loved to try the square chunky ones you pictured, but never received a response.

I hope you enjoy them. They are huge sticks, like Mount Visions. When you get them, I would love to hear what you think of them.

I have a couple of the Jack Richeson underpainting blocks, I think. I got a couple sets of his that included the hand rolled, the medium and hard sticks, and along with those they included a black and white in the big chunky style that appear to be those underpainting blocks. They weren’t labeled. I use them all the time, the white is great for blending other colors together in skies and things like that. The black is great for blocking in dark areas and shadows, layering over and around other colors. I have thought about getting one of the sets from Dakota, for $80. They last a long time and I’m sure I would use them a lot. I bet those chunky Manet sticks are really similar, if not the same. Let’s let everyone know if we ever see them on sale, for sure!

I’ll let you know what I think of the round sticks too, as soon as I get them and give them a try. Thanks again for all your input!

KPMAC

I have been in Richeson’s actual shop here in Kimberly, Wisconsin and I am pretty sure they don’t make Manet Pastels, I have not seen any on the shelves or in their inventory anywhere, they may look similar but I don’t believe they make them… Unison Half sticks also have that same shape as the same with Mt, Vision pastels… , None the less if you like them and how they paint is what makes the difference…

KPMAC:cool:

I got my set of these last week and they are terrific. What a bargain for 16 bucks plus a little shipping! Now that I have them and can really see what’s up, I don’t think these are Richeson’s in disguise. The size and shape is slightly different, and they just don’t feel the same. They are a tiny bit harder and denser, more like the Mungyo handrolled, or even a Mout Vision pastel, although not as big as those. I would say they are almost exactly like the Mungyo handrolled, but the colors are not the same. The Mungyos are really intense and bright, and these are very subdued. I really like them, especially for the price, wow. I would pick some up at Jackson’s while you have the chance. A great way to fill out your collection.

yellowfinger

I don’t think they’re Richeson. They’re made by this company – http://www.arts-arch.com/handpastelstyle.htm

Yes, that’s the company all right. Weird website though, I don’t see where you can order anything, they must wholesale to other companies. I would like to try out some more of their pastels, so I emailed them to see if they could tell me who else carries their products. I’ll let you know what I find out.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.