Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Partner: Chroma, Inc. GOT MILK? Chroma Atelier MATTE MEDIUM Question

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    BothHands

Today I started using Chroma Atelier tube acrylics. Binder Medium can be used to isolate a paint layer from subsequent painting, but Binder Medium dries to a slick surface, so Matte Medium can be painted over the Binder Medium, thereby increasing ‘surface tooth’.

I had an unexpected result; the Matte Medium appears quite milky when dry, rendering the underlying paint layer pale and muted. BUT…when I painted a layer of Binder Medium over that milky Matte Medium, it restored (all or most of) the richness of the original underlying paint layer. Hard to figure, but Binder Medium over a milky Matte Medium layer somehow counteracts the Matte Medium’s milkiness…hmmm.

See the series of four photos on this webpage[/URL].

PROBLEM: The Matte Medium lightens the tone of the underlying paint so much that I don’t see how I can use it between layers. Here’s why:

a) Adding a layer of Binder Medium at some point after the Matte Medium seems to restore underlying paint colors to near-original tone/color depth. And I assume that varnishing the finished painting with Chroma’s Satin solvent-based varnish will similarly balance sheen across the painting AND restore all visible paint to full color richness. If that’s true, the problem appears in b) and c):

b) Paint Layer 1 + Binder Medium to isolate + Matte Medium to add tooth: this shifts the tone of Paint Layer 1, making it appear too light.

c) Next I mix colors for Paint Layer 2 based on the artificially lightened Layer 1 tones. That’s a problem because later I’ll cover everything with a layer of Binder Medium, and all visible colors will be restored. Unfortunately, the Layer 2 colors will be TOO LIGHT compared to the Layer 1 colors that now appear at their deeper, full color depth.

And assuming the Satin solvent varnish will likewise restore all colors to full color depth, it could reveal some very unhappy surprises…after the painting’s been drying/curing for a month(!) :eek: I hope I’m wrong.

QUESTION 1: Does this match your experiences with Chroma Matte Medium?

QUESTION 2: Am I missing some factor/issue that makes it all work properly,
        or is there really no way to implement Matte Medium between layers
        and also maintain color mixing accuracy?

I hope there’s a simple explanation and/or workaround, because I think Chroma Atelier acrylics are amazing. :thumbsup:

jocko500

maybe the same as when I put acrylic varnish on a finish painting. I put first coat on and then i put a second coat on too soon and it turn milky looking. freak me out. some one told me to put it in the sun so I did and it did clear up after a few hours. I learn to wait at lest 3 hours and if the air got a lot of moister in the air intill the next day.
            Not sure if it be the same with you.

ideas is like the stars in Heaven, just grab one and hang on and if it do not work out grab another one:)

ItsaWonder

I don’t have the answer to your question, but wanted to say I think it is very wise of you to be testing the products out on a thumbnail instead of your full-sized painting. I know when I have used Liquitex water-based varnish, if I use a matte, it does not get milky, but it does reduce the depth of color, as matte is supposed to. And then I can restore the depth of color by making the next layer a satin (which I customize by mixing matte and gloss).

I am curious as to the surface quality you are getting from your Binder Medium. When I tried it, it left little gummy things all over my painting. Jennifer (from Chroma, who reads this forum) was kind enough to send me another sample from a new batch, and it did the same thing. Needless to say, I have not tried the Binder Medium on my paintings since, so I am curious as to your experience with it.

I really like the Interactives, too. After stopping using them because of technical problems with them when painting on Aquabord, I am back to using them and choosing other surfaces to paint on when I use the Interactives, such as Gessobord.

Good luck with your painting. You can contact Chroma for info, too, and maybe Jennifer will answer here in your thread. But honestly, I think the best thing is to try and see for yourself with practice paintings, which you are already doing.

Meredith

BothHands

maybe the same as when I put [COLOR=red][U]acrylic[/U] varnish[/COLOR] on a finish painting. I put first coat on and then i put a second coat on too soon and it turn milky looking. freak me out. some one told me to put it in the sun so I did and it did clear up after a few hours. I learn to wait at lest 3 hours and if the air got a lot of moister in the air intill the next day.
                    Not sure if it be the same with you.

Thanks, Jocko. I completely understand getting FREAKED :eek:UT when finalizing varnish goes milky. :D I’m glad to know about putting the painting in the sun for a couple of hours to clear it up (much better than a heart attack or shooting myself :evil:).

After reading your comments I looked at my test painting, hoping maybe the matte medium had cleared as you describe. But no. The upper half of the image is still milky, and the lower half, with Binder Medium atop the Matte Medium is clear, deep and rich. I think the Binder Medium is a NoGo.

BothHands

…I think it is very wise of you to be testing the products out on a thumbnail…when I have used Liquitex water-based [COLOR=red]varnish[/COLOR], if I use a matte, it does not get milky, but it does reduce the depth of color, as matte is supposed to. And then I can restore the depth of color by making the next layer a satin (which I customize by mixing matte and gloss).

Thanks for these insights, Merideth. And yeah, I’m very glad I chose to experiment preliminarily.

What you describe is similar to my Matte Medium + Binder Medium results. Your example involving varnish takes place after the painting is complete, and luckily, you know how to counteract the reduced color effect of the matte by topping it with your blended satin. As you see, the problem for me is that the matte medium is applied throughout the painting process, skewing colors and subsequent color mixing throughout the process. Ugh.

…Binder Medium…left little gummy things all over my painting. Jennifer (from Chroma, who reads this forum) was kind enough to send me another sample from a new batch, and it did the same thing. Needless to say, I have not tried the Binder Medium on my paintings since, so I am curious as to your experience with it.

I have not seen any gummythings in the Binder Medium, but I do see little “Bits & Chunks” in the Matte Medium. If you revisit my examples page[/URL] and inspect the upper left corner of Image 1 you’ll notice a particularly large Matte Medium “chunk”. There are others, but that one is particularly noticeable. Of course, the painting itself is tiny (3×3″) so the bits are not as large as they might seem. But like you, I don’t want any at all in my medium.

I really like the Interactives, too. After stopping using them because of technical problems with them when painting on Aquabord, I am back to using them and choosing other surfaces to paint on when I use the Interactives, such as [COLOR=red]Gessobord[/COLOR].

I’m experimenting on gessoed paper, but I’ve built my first panel: cradled 1/8″ hardboard, sealed all surfaces, primed front. I looked up Gessobord per your comments. Found a 12×24″ for $12.50 on Amazon. That seems like a reasonable price.

You can contact Chroma for info, too, and maybe Jennifer will answer here in your thread.

I’ll email Jennifer and ask her to clarify. I gleaned the Paint+Binder+Matte technique from a Chroma video wherein Mikel Wintermantel demonstrates his use of it. His landscapes involve rich colors, so maybe I’m missing something. That test thumbnail is the first time I’ve painted in a loooong time and I’m new to Chroma Atelier Interactives, so I’m sure there’s much for me to learn.

PS. I visited your blog[/URL] and really, really like the rose at the top of your “Three Confessions” post of June 2. My first attempt is kinda tentative and picky, but those rose petals of yours are bold and decisive. I also particularly like your treatment of the glass vase. Your strokes and colors are unapologetic and honest. How refreshing, for you and for us.

I read your 3 points and the overarching motto of your site, and I’m pretty sure your positive feelings about that painting are based on the CONFIDENCE and COURAGE it embodies. UGO! :thumbsup:

jennifervs

Hi gang! I am going to look into this! Generally, Matte Mediums will have a certain lightening effect, but only because it kills the sheen. It certainly should not be milky or frosty to the point where it effects one from making accurate value judgements. Thanks for calling Tom – I will post my own findings for the group in about 24-48 hours.

BothHands

BRAVA![/B][/COLOR]

I had an excellent phone conversation with Jennifer Vonstein, Chroma’s US Resident Artist – a woman clearly dedicated to serving Chroma Atelier Interactive customer needs.

Chroma is an Australian firm, and I’ve always been a fan of ‘Down Unda’ so I’m pleased (excited, really) to finally be using these fine paints. I’m sure she’ll clarify the matter in question to everyone’s satisfaction, and I won’t be surprised if it turns out to be a technical misunderstanding by me, due to my newness to these unique paints and mediums.

Just to put Chroma’s business practices in context:
                                I wanted to purchase some Liquitex painting knives, but could find NO INFORMATION regarding sizes of the individual tools. Not even on the Liquitex website! :eek: I tried calling Liquitex, but their VoiceMail ‘Firewall’ never allowed me to speak with a human being. Yuk. As a result, I won’t consider Liquitex acrylic paints, and I’m all the more thankful for Chroma’s consideration for its customers. The ChromaOnline Website[/URL] bends over backwards to provide every bit of information imaginable, AND…I can actually pick up the phone and ask Chroma’s US Resident Artist a technical question. Yikes!

And…she’s actually enthusiatic about researching the issue!!! :clap:

It doesn’t get any better than that, and regardless of the outcome of this ‘Matte Medium Mystery’, Chroma paints and mediums will be the hub of my painting endeavors. For the record, I have no affiliation with Chroma other than through the bristles of my brushes (haha) :D.

BothHands

If you revisit [URL=http://www.bothbarrels.net/wc/matte_medium/]my examples page[/URL] and inspect the upper left corner of Image 1 you’ll notice a particularly large Matte Medium “chunk”.

I was wrong.

Image 1 shows the painting before applying the Matte Medium Layer (which appears in Image 2). So the “chunk” in Image 1 cannot be related to the Matte Medium. Logic. :D

It’s probably a bit of dried paint from my palette (the edges of paint piles dry out first, and bits can get swept up when recharging the brush).

BeeCeeEss

Today I started using Chroma Atelier tube acrylics. [U]Binder[/U] Medium can be used to isolate a paint layer from subsequent painting, but Binder Medium dries to a slick surface, so [U]Matte[/U] Medium can be painted over the Binder Medium, thereby increasing ‘surface tooth’.

I had an unexpected result; the Matte Medium appears quite [U]milky[/U] when dry, rendering the underlying paint layer pale and muted. BUT…when I painted a layer of Binder Medium over that milky Matte Medium, it restored (all or most of) the richness of the original underlying paint layer. [I]Hard to figure, but Binder Medium over a milky Matte Medium layer somehow counteracts the Matte Medium’s milkiness…hmmm.[/I]

You are relating experiences with the Chroma Atelier acrylics that I also had. I much prefer the look of the paints thinned only with a little water but no mediums. I wanted a matte look to the surface of the entire painting, something resembling a pastel painting. If I used the binder on any section of it, the result was a very shiny surface. It stuck out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the painting. If I tried to knock that shine back by covering it with matte medium I got hazy colors and details. It was the main reason I gave up on the Atelier acrylics and went back to my regular ones.

My understanding of any matte medium or matte varnish is that it has very finely ground marble dust in it to break up the reflected light, thus making the surface look matte (and dull). The problem is, these very fine marble particles are opaque so it makes the medium or varnish just a bit hazy when dry. Covering that layer with either the binder or a shiny medium or varnish restores it somewhat, but not all the way because some of that lower layer will remain slightly obscured by the thin haze of marble dust.

The other cause may be due to not enough drying time between applications. Even though the acrylic paint and/or medium feels dry to the touch, it doesn’t mean that the layer has fully dried. If you are giving a painting a final coat or two of protective varnish, make sure you allow each layer plenty of time to dry before applying the next coat or the result may be a hazy finish.

Beverly

I love cooking with wines! Sometimes I even put it in the food! -- Julia Child

ItsaWonder

All the quotes I have below were originally from BothHands. I can’t figure out how to get each quote to automatically tell you whose quote it was. If anyone can let me know, I would appreciate it!

I had an excellent phone conversation with Jennifer Vonstein, Chroma’s US Resident Artist

I am glad you were able to get in touch with Jennifer and hopefully she will help you figure out how to make the products work for you. Sounds like either you or Jennifer will keep us posted.

What you describe is similar to my Matte Medium + Binder Medium results. Your example involving varnish takes place after the painting is complete, and luckily, you know how to counteract the reduced color effect of the matte by topping it with your blended satin. As you see, the problem for me is that the matte medium is applied throughout the painting process, skewing colors and subsequent color mixing throughout the process. Ugh.

Yes, I guess I was trying to show that I could change the dullness by using the blended matte plus gloss varnish…dullness not MILKINESS, was what I was trying to express. And yes, it would really bug me to have my colors being affected like you described during the painting process…truly!

PS. I visited your blog and really, really like the rose at the top of your “Three Confessions” post of June 2. My first attempt is kinda tentative and picky, but those rose petals of yours are bold and decisive. I also particularly like your treatment of the glass vase. Your strokes and colors are unapologetic and honest. How refreshing, for you and for us.

I read your 3 points and the overarching motto of your site, and I’m pretty sure your positive feelings about that painting are based on the CONFIDENCE and COURAGE it embodies. UGO!

Wow, those are really nice compliments that I will never forget…thank you so much…

Meredith

BothHands

Thanks for these techical insights, Beverly. Very helpful.

I much prefer the look of the paints thinned only with a little water but no mediums…If I tried to knock that [binder medium] shine back by covering it with matte medium I got hazy colors and details.

There are just too many good reasons to paint with Chroma Interactives, so I’m sticking with them. For now I’m not worrying about variations in sheen. Paints themselves have varying sheen levels, so I figure rather than drive myself kerAzee trying to keep everything balanced throughout the painting process, I’ll just look past the sheen differences, and then balance the entire painting’s surface sheen in the end by applying a solvent-based varnish. I think my first attempt will be Chroma Atelier Satin – the middle ground between Gloss and Matte. :crossfingers:

…any matte medium or matte varnish […] has very finely ground [COLOR=red]marble dust[/COLOR] in it to break up the reflected light, thus making the surface look matte (and dull)…[COLOR=red]these very fine marble particles are opaque so it makes the medium or varnish just a bit hazy when dry[/COLOR]. Covering that layer with either the binder or a shiny medium or varnish [COLOR=red]restores it [U]somewhat[/U], but[/COLOR] [COLOR=red]not all the way because some of that lower layer will remain slightly obscured by the thin haze of marble dust.[/COLOR]

That’s very good to know; it provides a reasonable explanation for what I’ve encountering. Thank you. If the cloudiness is unavoidable when using Matte Medium as a layer, then I guess I’ll have to forego using it that way. Maybe I’ll find it useful to mix into the paint, but I don’t really care about sheen during the painting process… I’m interested to know what Jennifer VonStein will report.

The other cause may be due to not enough drying time between applications.

Good point, but I gleened this technique from a Chroma video wherein Mikel Wintermantel outlined the practice: Paint, then Binder Medium, then Matte Medium. He blows each layer dry in two minutes and applies the next layer, so ensuring a particular stage of dryness doesn’t seem to be necessary…maybe. :D

BothHands

All the quotes I have below were originally from BothHands. I can’t figure out how to get each quote to automatically tell you whose quote it was. If anyone can let me know, I would appreciate it!

I think the way you handled the quotes is good, and may be preferable to what I show you here. And/or there may be a better way of “multi-quoting” than my labor intensive cut-and-paste surgery approach.

The illustration below shows the two source tags to be copied. In a nutshell, copy and paste the upper tag at the head of each quoted passage you wish to display. Then copy and paste the lower tag at the tail end of each quoted passage. The content between each pair of tags gets displayed as a separate quote, attributed to the member name appearing in the upper tag.

jennifervs

Just a quick update – I am givinga plein air workshop tomorrow, so I’ll have “fresh paintings” to use for my varnish expiriments, which I think is better than color blocks or older, unvarnished studies. Look for an update on Thursday afternoon!

And thanks for the kind words – I am more than happy to help!

BothHands

Just a quick update – I am givinga plein air workshop tomorrow, so I’ll have “fresh paintings” to use [COLOR=red]for my [B][U]varnish[/U][/B] experiments[/COLOR], which I think is better than color blocks or older, unvarnished studies. Look for an update on Thursday afternoon!

Great, and thank you.

Just to be 100% clear, the issue involves Matte Medium, not Matte Varnish.

jennifervs

Sorry a day late! Ok, I tried my best to replicate what happened with BothHands, but I did not get the same results. I got the same result that Mikel Wintermantel got in his video. So my answer is (alas)…I don’t know why that happened! But Chroma would be happy to send you a replacement bottle of Matte Medium to try – just PM me with a shipping address.

As you can tell from the image posted, the top left is where I used Binder Medium to seal a 24hr old plein air painting (Atelier Interactive on acrylic paper). The haze is not on the painting itself, but because I tilted it to show some glare. The top right is where I applied Matte Medium on top of Binder Medium, and it totally killed the sheen, but still enriched darks so they didn’t look so dull. The surface quality also resulted in a slightly more absorbent feel, not as slick as Binder. I think that’s what Mikel means by “adding tooth.”

The lower right is where I applied just Matte Medium on paint (no Binder.) You can’t tell from the photo, but the entire right side of the painting has an identical sheen. The only difference is that the top right has a bit of a line from where I let medium settle. There was not any lightening effect, if you compare to the lower left – which is just straight paint (with Thick Slow Medium added during the painting process). As I mentioned, my darks seem richer with Matte Medium, but not with a sheen.

I’m sorry this isn’t much help! I’m wondering if there was something with the surface, the dry time, the colors or mediums you used? Even temperature is a factor. If the answer isn’t an obvious mechanical or technical issue, it can be challenging to pinpoint precisely why something happened, because all art and application is individual. That a great thing – and a not great thing, when I am trying to replicate a scenario!

Unaltered painting,prior to adding Binder or Matte Medium (color corrected in PS)

After adding Binder and Matte Medium (not color corrected, taken at an angle in harsh light)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘GOT MILK? Chroma Atelier MATTE MEDIUM Question’ is closed to new replies.