Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    frodron

I have often read on this forum about what colours people have on their palettes but I cannot recall an occasion when people said what brushes they use on their paintings.
        So I will ask what are the brushes you use mostly on your paintings

Cherish yesterday,dream tomorrow,live today

People have often commented on how tight my painting style is, claiming it looks quite photographic. It’s really not and my favourite brushes are large. I really like Dynasty faux squirrel brushes. Typically, I’ll reach for the 16 round, with the 14 in my hand with the 8 being the smallest I use. I also have an Escoda 10 round that I love. Years ago, I bought a set of Heinz Jordan brushes for the acrylics I was painting. The only brush left from that set is a #4 round long point. I baby it because it is a wonderful thing for rendering lines.

Char --

CharMing Art -- "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." Leonardo DaVinci

briantmeyer

It depends.

Traveling, I use pocket brushes. These fold up into their cap.

An Escoda Versatil #8 and #12 Round. I also have a #12 perla.

I also have a number of the travel brushes from rosemary and company – dagger, squirrel mop.

For when I take my whole kit I use in regular format

Escoda Versatil #8 thru #20 rounds – skipping every other size
            Escoda Versatil Jumbo Wash 1/2″ and 1″
            Escoda (Jacksons White Toray is the same )Perla #8 – #12
            #8 and #10 Escoda Reserva ( jacksons sells these as Tajmyr Kolinksy’s )
            Jackson Squirrel Mops – various sizes
            Jackson Icon Mottlers .5″ 1″ 1.5″ 3″, Flats, Quills and Rounds.

I also use Sumi-e brushes, especially a 6 inch weasel/skunk brush, and the series G hake brushes ( which have the laqueur handles, much better than the bamboo hake brushes ) These are from jacksons, oriental art supply, and local chinese bookstores that sell art supplies.

I usually paint small, 5″x7″ or smaller, so lately I have been using a Raphael Softaqua 5/8″ flat (works almost like a mini hake), a Neptune #10 round, a Dynasty Black Gold dagger (I think it’s about a 1/2″), and occasionally a #0 round DaVinci Cosmotop spin. And of course, I love my large Pentel waterbrush for sketching out and about.

What a fun thread!

:) Noelle

LatteForZoey

I paint a lot of landscapes, illustrations and sometimes cityscapes and portraits. I’m super lazy with changing my brushes though, so the more versatile, the better. :lol: I also paint anywhere from 7.5×11″ to 15×22″ sheets, so currently I have about five pointed rounds I use: Escoda Ultimo 18, Isabey Petit Gris 4, Silver Brush Black Velvet 12, Escoda Versatil 10, and Silver Brush Black Velvet 4. In a single sitting I won’t ever use all five of them; mostly three. I remember having a rigger, half inch flat, and pointed cats tongue at some point, but I hardly ever used them, and everything I can do with them can also be done with a pointed round.

Some people might only use flats, though, if that’s what they’re used to. I do prefer flats for gouache!

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]-Zoey

I use a set of Sterling Edwards round synthetics supplemented with some small Cotman rounds. I have a set of flat brushes when the situation requires them and Pentel waterbrushes for sketching.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Cyntada

Large Sakura Koi waterbrushes here, almost exclusively. 99% of my work is on location, in sketchbooks, so they make the most sense for me.

CK =)
                    I take great comfort in knowing that my genuine typos will probably be blamed on some device's autocorrect. :angel:
                    DIY art supplies, sketches, and more: cyntada.com / @cyntada
                    hblenkle

The three brushes I use the most are Creative Mark Rhapsody round kolinsky sable in sizes 10 and 18 and an Escoda Reserva Kolinsky tajmyr size 6.

Pentel waterbrushes. One Large and one Fine.
                        A large round, ( either a mop or a Chinese calligraphy one). Occasionally an one inch flat ( for backgrounds) and a fine point spotter or any other round size 0 to 1.
                        These are my brushes.

Neeman

#16 Round Rekab Eastersable
                            1″ Flat Jackson Icon
                            #4 Squirrel quill mop

Lapicero

Cheap Joe’s Legend Sable #8 (but it looks more like a #12 to me!)
                                Rosemary & Co. Pocket Dagger (Sable/Nylon Blend)
                                Rosemary & Co. Pocket Sable Round #6
                                Escoda Ultimo Pocket Brush Round #8 (I have no idea why I love this brush so much but there you go)
                                Pentel Aquash Waterbrush in the smallest size (my favorite for details)

Twiggalina

I have just started using Escoda Versatil. I got one for Christmas in a size 10 and I love it. I just bought a Prado in a size 14 but haven’t had the chance to try that out yet but am looking forward to trying it out :)

pjartwc

Winsor Newton Sceptre Gold II 606 1-inch flat
                                        Leonard Kolinsky Sable #6 round pointed.
                                        Black Silver #10 round
                                        Black Silver #6 round

C&C WELCOMED

Jan

frodron

Thank you all for your replies which I found very interesting.
                                            I usually paint on quarter sheet and try to use a minimum number of brushes namely :-
                                            1″ W & N Cotman Flat.
                                            No 2 Rigger,Nos. 10 & 6 W & N Round Sceptre Gold.

Cherish yesterday,dream tomorrow,live today

ErnstG

Hallo Ron, die Auswahl der Pinsel ist so einfach oder so kompliziert wie die Farben.
                                                Ich denke, jeder hat seine Vorlieben und Abneigungen. In den letzten Jahren
                                                habe ich mich komplett von den Rotmarder-Pinseln entfernt.
                                                Im Moment male ich nur mit Synthetik-Pinseln, die perfekte Spitzen haben.
                                                Mit einer Nr. 10 kann ich so feine Linien ziehen wie mit einer Feder.

Hello Ron, the choice of brushes is as simple or as complicated as the colours.
                                                I think everyone has his or her likes and dislikes. In the last few years I have
                                                completely moved away from the sable brushes. At the moment I only paint
                                                with synthetic brushes that have perfect tips. With a No. 10 I can draw as fine
                                                lines as with a feather.

Ernst

Meine Seiten - My website
                                                Malen ist nicht alles im Leben - aber ohne Malen ist alles nichts!
                                                Painting is not everything in life - but without painting everything is nothing!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.