WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Miniature Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#256   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2018, 12:05 AM
Veteran Member
Tacoma, Washington

Hails from United States
Re: Project Discussion: Watercolor ATC Trade 2018

I got sidetracked. I was going to go on to go on about the research I did. About 80%--and some say it's more---of inmates either have drug and alcohol addictions or grow up in families where they're exposed to those influences. Now, alcoholics and addicts are usually people who are especially creative by nature but the addictions take over and they're not functioning at 100% of what their potential is. But they show tremendous creativity in providing for their necessities of life since with active addictions they don't have time or focus on anything except supplying their addictions.

When they get put in prison or jail, they have to pretty much come off their addictions. It's possible to get drugs or make alcohol in prison, but not anywhere near the abundance they supply themselves in free life. So you've got thousands of extremely creative people locked up, and they feed off the collective creativity they're surrounded by. They also usually don't have money so they call it a "hustle"---they find something creative to do to trade with fellow inmates for extra commissary or whatever it is they want because they're not allowed to have money.

I won't go on since probably nobody is very interested, but I thought maybe it would be interesting to mention it.
  #257   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2018, 12:18 AM

If we got any storms I didn't hear them. I think I slept through most of them. Our rivers are very high and there was a flood a few weeks ago in a grocery store parking lot that I go to. A man almost drowned but was rescued by two young men. They pulled him out of his car. It's hot here but it is summer.

I did one card that is experimental. I thought I would just put each of them into an envelope, mix them all up and then write the addresses on each of them. Sort of a lottery.
  #258   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2018, 08:00 AM

Good morning to all of you. I know I haven't been saying much but I have been listening..I always have wanted to be able to paint Abstracts but they still come out much too contrived. I am too "tight" of a painter. I have always loved the very light , pastelly looking paintings also..airy landscapes of birch trees and snow . Stuff like that. When I try to paint them I end up with way too much detail and contrast and just can't get that light , misty look.. Same with abstracts..never get it to look cohesive. I always end up putting in "too" much.

Life here has been stressful but I have been painting.. it is my escape.I have 8 finished. I feel pretty good about that. I am learning what water color DOES'NT do..lol. Now I will hopefully get better at what it DOES do.

I have decided that Rome wasn't built in a day and we don't need to make all these changes immediately. I am just going slowly toward the direction we need to move in. It will all work out somehow because it always does.

I mail my cards inside a note card that is blank. I usually buy an entire box of cards with the envelopes at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. I actually still have some left from the last exchange we did so I am sure I will use the same notecards again..

Flo...The lottery idea might not work if you don't know who you sent what card too. You will be posting the uploaded photo of the card after the receiver sends you a PM saying they got it. The last time I failed to note who got what and it was a challenge to know what pic I needed to upload...so you might want a list of who is getting which card...

Well I am off to my studio this morning to get to work on painting and sculpting. Hope you all have a wonderful day!
  #259   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2018, 11:31 AM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

I just printed the address list Rose (Ellen) made for us then jotted down who is getting what. So far only 2 of mine have been assigned based on what limited info you all have provided in your comments.

What do you all plan to do with all of yours once received? Frame them? Or just collect?
  #260   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2018, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Tacoma, Washington

Hails from United States

Kay, I'm going to make an album using plasttic pages divided into pockets. I don't know what the name of them are but I've seen them mentioned here. I originally planned to make little beaded frames but then my DIL sent me an order for rosettes for her belly dance costume so I'll be beading but not on frames for awhile. She wants three rosettes a little over 4 inches across. I'll post pictures if anyone wants to see them when they're finished.
  #261   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2018, 06:31 PM

Hi everyone, Cindy, Good point, I may have to rethink the lottery or at least part of it. Kay, I intend to frame and hang them. I paint this size of paintings (not watercolor) for a group of people we meet with for their birthdays. One lady painted a picture in return for my birthday. It was a stick figure drawing that she framed. I loved it. I have a wall that I hang other artists work on. I also bought some artwork from the thrift stores (originals only of course) that will go their too. When it is finished I expect it to be spectacular.
Ellen, I really enjoy your posts. They are always interesting and informative.
Cindy, about abstracts: I really haven't done too much in the way of abstracts either but do find them very appealing. I watched a bunch of u tube videos on abstract painting. One of them suggested to several sheets of paper on the wall. Then have a lot of one color of paint to start and a big brush. You quickly paint a circle, square and a triangle, then move to the next sheet and do the same you do it several times. It is supposed to free you up. Then you get a very large piece of paper and extra colors and start doing the same thing again only this time you start to work on it as a painting. If I can find the you tube video again I will let you know which one it is. I haven't tried it yet but do plan to do it sometime soon.