WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2018, 09:34 AM

Red face Re: Paint Storage

Good morning Char, I saw that Aboveground art supplies (internet) offers Da Vinci and also Studio- Six. But ... no deal. So; you did good !
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2018, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Middle of the Atlantic

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Paint Storage

Sorry to hear that, Char, I know you were a big fan
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2018, 12:56 PM

Hails from United Nations

Love the idea of sticking tubes up on a bulletin board by means of binder-clips on their flat ends. (I probably wouldn't have thought of that, I would have just punctured each tube with the thumbtack and then wondered what went wrong ... )

I use three cigar boxes with sub-dividers in them and I dig around.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2018, 01:26 PM
WC! Guide
Edinburgh

Hails from United Kingdom

As I only have a dozen or so colours, my tubes just all go together into a storage box beneath my mixing palettes, pencils and other bits and pieces. If I had more I do like the idea of colour-coded drawers.

The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do - Rowland Emett
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2018, 05:30 PM
Lord of the Arts
San Diego

Hails from United States

I use parts bins you get from hardware stores, you can get ones with 40 drawers, even ones with more, and I label them with pieces of watercolor paper with swatches of the color inside. Harbor freight is another place to look at.

You can also get organizers for nails and hardware, these are good for paint and art supplies, with separate holders which you can take out as needed. They also sell rolling tool boxes which have removable organizer tops like the above, these could work as an entire plein air setup, or a studio kit. ( These are just ideas, there are a lot of various versions of these at many sizes )

Just go to your local hardware store, or home improvement ware house, and just imagine all the things for tools being used for watercolors instead. The fancy tool bags for electricians and carpenters really work well. Rockler wood working has some nice bags too, and they sell knobs and tracks usable as hardware to make your own easels - T Tracks are really good for those who are good with their hands, but not really good at wood working. They sell tracks which work at 1/4 20tpi which are the same as what you see in tripods.

Also look at items found at military surplus, and fishing/sports stores, often these have lots of compartments, canvas loops and lots of little pockets, especially the items made to store fishing tackle.

A lot of this requires thinking outside the box, I just got a rolling bag with telescoping handle, the compartments made for batteries fit my mitsubishi pencil sharpener, and there are separate pockets for my paint brushes. It was too much money at the time, but I needed something quickly for a plein air contest the next day, and the current kit I was developing just wasn't going to be ready, and I have basically worn out my previous cart. I just could not see hauling everything I wanted to carry, and this thing carries chairs, food, an umbrella ( the fair is hot, in the sun and all asphalt ), art supplies, paper, water and is big enough for my tripod. In many ways we artists are as much craftsmen and tool enthusiasts as we are painters.

I also got a tool bag, came with tools, was only $15 on sale, and is perfect for my sketch book, has ample room for lots of stuff, really good as a over the shoulder kit. Pockets are good for storing tubes of paint so they are pretty easy to find, if you palette is limited.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2018, 06:58 PM

I started playing around with vertical,, those are just the quiller paints
Attached Images

Last edited by Kaylen : 07-16-2018 at 07:01 PM.