Home Forums Explore Media Sculpture Newbie looking for Ideas about Galaxy Sculpture.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    withersgs

Hi guys, first post here, not sure if its the right forum/board. I’ve only ever had one sculpture course back in college. I’ve also recently become enamored with the idea of making some really high quality true as can be to real life sculptures of galaxies. Spiral, irregular, elliptical all three of the big ones. Most of the ones I was able to see online are highly abstracted to near absurdity or made of metal or other exotic mediums.

I’m looking for ideas as to the best mediums to use. I’ve thought of glass, as my dad is into glasswork. He thinks it will be a rather hard project in glass, especially to make it above small size, so I’m trying to think of easier to use mediums.

All ideas are good ones, give me your best suggestions!

talisman

Interesting Idea.
            As the galaxies are made of a multitude of stars in these larger shapes, maybe something like various small beads glued together then suspended in a clear polymer.

Dianna WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art
            C and C always welcome.
            My DeviantArt Gallery

withersgs

A good idea with the beads in polymer. I was contemplating a polymer myself already, but wasn’t sure about what specific ones would be nice to work with (or easiest). If you can give suggestions on what you think might be easiest or clearest/good quality I’ll appreciate it.

We were also thinking about using dust of silver etc. particles to make the stars in the glass or polymer.

talisman

Good Idea with the silver dust!

I’m no help on the polymer, I was just throwing out ideas.
                    Hopefully some one else will know something.

Dianna WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art
                    C and C always welcome.
                    My DeviantArt Gallery

ArtsyLynda

I think there are shimmery polymer clays available – if not, there’s spray-on glitter, but I think the shimmery clay might be better for your project. You could make them around various size marbles, then cut them in half and glue them together before baking. Are you going to make a mobile of them, or what?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.