WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture > Portraiture Forum Library Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2010, 01:47 PM
WC! Guide
Ontario

Hails from Canada
Talking Heads -- November 2010

Here is the thread where you can talk or share thoughts or links... or whatever ... related to portraiture. If you have a question or a quandary, share and perhaps someone here can help... or commissurate.

Grab a coffee, tea, or some juice and sit on down on the comfy couch or in the rocking chair. There is a porch swing too, and a beanbag chair. We do our best to accommodate you all.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2010, 01:50 PM
WC! Guide
Ontario

Hails from Canada
Re: Talking Heads -- November 2010

I've been enjoying the second season of Star Portraits (Canadian edition), which can be seen weekly on Bravo! or many of the episodes can be watched online via their Youtube link.

Since we cut the cable TV, I can only watch online now.
I've managed to watch 4 of the new episodes and I think all those from the first season can still be found online.

Check out: www.starportraits.ca
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2010, 01:59 AM
A WC! Legend
Adelaide, South Australia

Hails from Australia

Oh yeah, thanks for that Lauren. I love the English one (we got it here in Oz) so I'm glad you posted that link. So, is this Louise Pitre any good?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2010, 02:28 AM
south coast Australia

Hails from Australia

Patrick, I watched the UK one on TV. Then got to watch last season Canada one on line. I liked Louise Pitre as a presenter- she is a musical theatre actress. This new series won't let me watch it online here- so sad!

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2010, 06:35 AM
Wakefield, England

Hails from United Kingdom

Yep, same here in the UK. We could watch the last season online but not able to watch this season. Perhaps they will remove the block after the series has finished screening in Canada. Lets hope so because in my view the the Canadian version is better than the UK one was. Also Louise is much prettier than Rolf.

Web site www.johnsteadman.weebly.com
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2010, 07:29 AM
Enthusiast
Mississippi

Hails from United States

Well, living in the USA I am blocked from the one in the UK and the Canadian one this year. I added my portrait of Louise that we did in the portrait challenge here to the Canadian site though. Was hoping she might see it and want it as I don't really know what to do with it. Ha! I'm sure she has lots of portraits already. Great show. Wish America would start one but then we cut our cable too.

Alison
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2010, 08:02 AM
WC! Guide
Ontario

Hails from Canada

I find Louise Pitre to be a wonderful host -- gracious, charming with a typical French-Canadian flare.
It is also very refreshing to see the enthusiasm she has for the artists and their work as a non-visual artist. She works well with the portrait subjects and I find she is exceptional in drawing them out in their reactions to the works; esp. in this second season.

I did email the folks at Bravo! TV (the creators of this show) expressing my concerns that it is hard to access all the already-viewed episodes. It seems only the most recent are available via their YouTube link. I'll email them again to let them know about how those outside Canada can't view it and wish they could. I know that when I've tried to watch the UK version, I think I was only able to see one episode online, but that is understandable because they'd prefer you purchase them all on DVD. I haven't seen that Bravo is selling them on DVD; perhaps they plan to.

I'll look into it...

I must say, I have learned a lot about how artists and subject inter-relate, how various artists find their muse for portraits in different ways, and also I find the variety of mediums used interesting. As an artist who is still trying to find my way and also trying to balance my rational realist approach and temperament with my equally-strong urge to loosen up and experiment with multi-media, I find this show very inspiring.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2010, 12:04 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip about Star Portraits, Lauren. I found one UK episode on YouTube and really enjoyed it, but now can't find anymore or view any of the Canadian ones. So, add me to list of US artists who would like to see it online.

Now, why hasn't Bravo US produced a version? I guess we're not arty enough ...

Mary
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Enthusiast
Edinburgh, Scotland

Hails from Scotland

I'm gutted we can't get the Star Portraits here either, I really enjoyed the last series of this.

Maybe Bravo will relent and put them on later?? Did you hear anything back from them?

Ryan
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Enthusiast
Edinburgh, Scotland

Hails from Scotland

I watched a fantastic film about the self portriat here in the UK and its available on the BBC I-player service- click on link below

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...lfPortrai ts/

Don't know if this will work outside UK but it was really good and worth trying

Ryan
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2010, 06:29 AM
Wakefield, England

Hails from United Kingdom

Ryan, I watched that programme the other night, I think it was on BBC4 and was called "The strange and wonderful world of self portraits". A facinating programme. I was interested in the discussion about the revesred image from a mirror. i.e what the painter sees as their right eye is the left eye to some body else. I also liked the idea of using more than one mirror to get away from the square on view. Might try taht idea. The self portrait using a death mask technique was also facinating, don't know if I could stand my face being covered in plaster and bandages though.

Web site www.johnsteadman.weebly.com
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Enthusiast
Edinburgh, Scotland

Hails from Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadmj
.. I was interested in the discussion about the revesred image from a mirror. i.e what the painter sees as their right eye is the left eye to some body else. I also liked the idea of using more than one mirror to get away from the square on view. Might try taht idea. The self portrait using a death mask technique was also facinating, don't know if I could stand my face being covered in plaster and bandages though.

That's the programe - it was fantastic

Lucien Freud always puts "reflection" on his self portraits to distinguish. Having two mirrors at once would be mind-bending!!

The death mask bit was freaky- I liked the guy who painted the inside of the mask to give a 3d effect- freaky

They also did one on sculptured heads a few weeks back that was interesting also- probably on the I-player

Ryan
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Enthusiast
Edinburgh, Scotland

Hails from Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadmj
.. I was interested in the discussion about the revesred image from a mirror. i.e what the painter sees as their right eye is the left eye to some body else. I also liked the idea of using more than one mirror to get away from the square on view. Might try taht idea. The self portrait using a death mask technique was also facinating, don't know if I could stand my face being covered in plaster and bandages though.

That's the programe - it was fantastic

Lucien Freud always puts "reflection" on his self portraits to distinguish. Having two mirrors at once would be mind-bending!!

The death mask bit was freaky- I liked the guy who painted the inside of the mask to give a 3d effect- freaky

They also did one on sculptured heads a few weeks back that was interesting also- probably on the I-player

Ryan