Home Forums Explore Media Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials Plaster of Paris and Epoxy Resin????

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    UncleBubba

Hello,

I’m a new user to this site and this is my first post. I hope it’s in the right place.

I’m trying to figure out the best way to preserve a Plaster of Paris hand print of my 6 year old nephew. This is a VERY special hand print and absolutely irreplaceable as he has since passed away. I’m scared to death to have it out on display because if it gets knocked over, I’m sure it will shatter into a million pieces, and I can never get that back.

I have thought of putting it in a shadow box and hanging it, but I guess it could still fall and shatter.

My brother came up with an idea, that I think might work, I just want to make sure it will not ruin the hand print once we start.

He suggested encasing the hand print in an epoxy resin such as what one would use to make a river table. That once it setup and hardened, it would dry crystal clear and you would be able to see the hand print very easily, and it would be more protected from shattering.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this and will it affect the Plaster itself after the epoxy is poured? Is there any particular kind of epoxy resin you can recommend? Do I need to “treat” the plaster of paris with anything before pouring the epoxy? Does this sound like a good idea? Are there any other ideas about how I can preserve this precious hand print to keep it from shattering??

Thank you so much in advance for any help or for directing me to the appropriate place for the help!

Hi Uncle Bubba and welcome!

Not heard of ever putting those together. Have you tried your question on Google to see what comes up, if anything?

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Cyndi L

This question has come up on the board before, years ago, but we never heard back from the person who was attempting to embed plaster pieces in their resin. Here’s what you need to know for sure: there are two types of resin – polyester resin and epoxy resin. Look into them a bit to make sure you choose the one you’ll be happiest with. Second, you don’t *have* to seal items embedded in resin, but it doesn’t hurt. I would especially want to be careful with your precious piece. If there are any air bubbles that come out during the resin curing, they may mar the perfection of your piece. I found there are quite a number of youtube videos of people combining these materials that you could check out.

CaliAnn

I don’t have any answers for you, but thought I’d suggest doing some Plaster of Paris pieces, possibly of your own hand, as sample\experimental pieces to try different methods prior to doing anything on the piece you want to preserve.

contumacious

Personally I would not want something like that encased in epoxy. To protect it you could construct a padded box that holds it in place, maybe set down into a fitted recess lined with leather or fabric, held in place with some small decorative tabs, with a secured glass cover on top when you want it on display. Insert a piece of fabric covered foam between the glass top and the item when you want maximum protection.

Eraethil

Tough choice. Even secured in a box, dropping the box could result in the destruction of a fragile plaster piece. But the resin will yellow over time and I would definitely seal the piece carefully prior to embedding it in resin to ensure that you don’t have to prevent air bubbles for hours after pouring in the resin.

What about a 3D scan of the piece, or creating a mold of the piece and then printing or casting the result in a more durable medium? Then you can wrap the original up carefully and store it, and put the durable piece on display without concern.

[FONT=Century Gothic] [FONT=Century Gothic]Comments and critique actively sought and much appreciated! [/SIZE][/B]
                        Rick. . . [/COLOR][/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. .[/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic] . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR]pigment storm fine art[FONT=Century Gothic] . . . watch the paint flow![/SIZE]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.