Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Archives ****November Challenge ****

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    Deborah Secor

For those who plan to go on into November with a few of us, come on along! I plan to post up through week eight, when I’ll show work in the gallery.

Go ahead an post anything you complete for week five now.

Let us know your plans for this month, too. Are you going on with the same challenge image, or making some changes? Do you want to post a recap before beginning this month? Go ahead! It might help you and someone else coming along behind you.

I know for me this first four weeks has been instructive. I learned how often I grab the same kinds of colors to achieve an end. I don’t think this is bad–it does work, after all. Most of the time the ‘rules’ help us solve any pesky issues that pop up in a painting, like how to make the distant plane recede or how to make a foreground pop forward using color, value, edges, etc. But I realized that I use a formula more than I thought–I grab the same blued color to push the field back, and I use the same combo of color to pop the fore! So this has helped me to think creatively about those issues, and others, too, of course. This month I want to push more on seeing what happens when I play with some of these subtleties. Stay tuned!

Deborah

Deborah

"All glory to Him, who alone is God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord."
        Landscape Painting in Pastels (free online book)
        Gouache Blog

I am glad to see you are continuing into November. My goal is actually to finish 100 by then. I have done 45 so far. I am so glad Deborah started this challenge and that I decided to join in. I have been so energized and excited about painting these variations…so much so that I have actually had dreams of techniques to try. This challenge has really helped me in so many ways. Like Deborah, I saw how I tended to reach for the same colors. I am pushing myself to explore colors and color combinations that I wouldn’t think to use. I am having the most fun experimenting with different papers and techniques. This past week I have gotten into texture which I really love. I will post my latest later today. I am also starting a new blog in which I will document this challenge and give myself room to comment on each painting and how I created it. I will post a link once I get that going.
        Looking forward to seeing what everyone is up to.
        Karen

Ruthie57

I’ll be continuing too and I think I may as well stick with the same ref. I’m sure there are still plenty of colour combos I can think of (I hope).

I’ve hardly done any landscape before, in fact most of my work has been in a very illustrative style. This is helping me to loosen up and has, I think, positively affected my outlook and some of the other work I’ve done since I started this challenge. I still have a long way to go before I’m any good at landscape but I think my eyes are starting to open!!

Here are some of mine from week five. I have six more finished but need to photograph them. One more to paint and I will have reached 50! I am not bored with my image yet but I have discovered that my trees have gone through changes. They started out a bit smaller and had more of a bushy look. Now sometimes I seem to paint them as just a shape with no indication of any leaves at all. Now in my latest variations (not shown here) I have introduced trunks so I can allow some light and background to sneak in. I am so tempted to add water but I think I’ll hold off on that until my next challenge!
            Karen

I will be continuing, but with a slightly different image – no more trees! Simple land shapes and maybe a bush or two.

Mary Y

I would like to continue.
                The challenge has made me think more than I normally do about colour.I am begining to realise I do not have to find the exact same colour as IRL.In fact I like some of the stronger colours better.
                There is such a wealth of ideas and shared knowledge in these threads.I may not make 100 but I find I am fitting more pastel work into my week than I have done since I first tried pastels about three years ago.
                Thank you again Deborah for starting this .

Karen,
                Wow up to 50 .
                2,3,6,& 11 are my favorites this week. Frankly I would be happy to produce any of these. I particularly like the light in the snow scene.
                Mary

Mary

Thank you Mary! Most of these were done on Canson as I was trying to use up my old paper. This week I have been making some of my own supports and I am enjoying the textured effects I am getting.
                Ruthie and Kat….glad to see you will continue!

Karen

Tressa

Am gonna try to continue…I cut my thumb really bad coring apples, ugghh…but is my lefthand at least, lol!
                    here is my next….Tres

My Webpage: www.zhibit.org/treshommel
                    Blog:http://leonardosloft.blogspot.com/
                    Test
                    "We derive more benefit from having our faults pointed out by our enemies than from hearing the opinions of friends." (Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519)

Tressa

Update Collage.

My Webpage: www.zhibit.org/treshommel
                        Blog:http://leonardosloft.blogspot.com/
                        Test
                        "We derive more benefit from having our faults pointed out by our enemies than from hearing the opinions of friends." (Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519)

Deborah and I discussed how we are going to handle this going forward. We will be posting a thread entitled “November Challenge” (this thread) where you will post your WEEkLY GALLERIES.

As for October, once we get the Gallery thread opened on Sunday(?), we will include links back to the Challenge Weeks, then take down the stickies so we aren’t hogging the top of the Studio/Gallery forum.

Ruthie57

Karen you have been busy! I like all of these but my favourites are 1,6,10 and 11.

Tressa, all yours are gorgeous and this is no exception.

Kathryn. i was going to post my first one for this week but do you want us to wait until we have done the week’s worth and then post our gallery? Mine will look much better in gallery format……..much smaller :lol:

Yes, Ruthie, we need to down-size this Challenge a bit, so posting all of your week’s work in a gallery format would be great.

Colorix

Yes, I want to continue (not to mention catch up). No changes. I’ll also comment in the gallery thread for October, there is too much to wade through. I didn’t forsee how extremely busy I’d be, but it should end by Monday or so, and then I’ll catch up!

Charlie

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog

marionh

Count me in. I will be choosing a different ref though.

C&C always wanted and thanks for looking. Marion
                                    ArtbyMarion Website...Art of Flowers Blog
                                    My Etsy

I wanted to share that I set up a blog devoted to my challenge paintings. It will be easier for me to document what I did for each one. I’d love for you to take a look and let me know what you think. I left it kind of open ended in case I plan to do another type of challenge when this one is finished.
                                    The blog is at http://www.milesofcanvas.blogspot.com

Karen

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 92 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.