Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Heterosexual Day

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    dave woody

dave woody

30cm x 30cm cheap canvas.

a heterosexual festival would start with a march …..

dave woody

OK…..I will be honest…..I feel left out…..
                I see groups marching and celebrating their sexuality, I want
                my day too……….

Exactly!
                Agreed!

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Grampy

Count me in Dave, I don’t think the boyfriend will mind:lol:
                    Steve.

Steve

Never regret doing what puts smiles on faces

sykirobme

Every day is heterosexual day. You and I can go out on any given day and see depictions and celebrations of our sexual orientation in any medium: literature, movies, pictures, paintings, etc. This type of stuff is released into our culture every day and no one thinks it’s unusual, no one gets angry about it, no one feels it’s corrupting the morals of our children, etc.

The whole point of a pride day is that LGBT people are not treated as normal. If a movie about a homosexual relationship is released by a major studio, the conversation doesn’t discuss whether or not the movie is good in and of itself, it’s all about the homosexuality. Why can’t that relationship just be seen as something natural, something that happens, the same way a heterosexual relationship would be? Of course, the conversation can go too far in the other direction, celebrating things just because they’re not mainstream, regardless of quality.

I’m not going to say any more on this, and I’m not going to get drawn into a debate here (feel free to PM me, though). I just wanted to explain why there isn’t a “heterosexual day.” I’m a heterosexual male – a type that certainly doesn’t need any more celebration – but I’m also a minority (Korean) who is also not accepted by his minority group (because I’m only half-Korean) and I know well how perceptions of any non-conforming type can affect one in Western culture.

LOL! Too fun! My sentiments exactly!

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

I see where you’re coming from, and also see sykirobme’s point. A fun painting though.

C&C always welcome. Michelle

mkmcreations.com
                        Every painting is a new adventure.

Grampy

I think the optimum word here Dave is “Fun”
                            Steve.

Steve

Never regret doing what puts smiles on faces

Yes a fun light-hearted painting.

There should be more fun celebrations for people.

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm." - Henry David Thoreau

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library

fedetony

Sexual orientation is an individual choice… what is there to march for?

Federico Garcia
                                My Blog
                                C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

brusher

Well –
                                    There are civil rights, and the matter for pride – the belief that it matters whether the police can beat you up and put you in jail, housing and employment can be denied, or you could be fired; whether you will be targeted for violence, denied health care, etc., just because of your sexual orientation (LGBT), which is outside the norm of strict heterosexuality. The right to marry, if you and your partner are both legal adults. No one’s going to know or care that you are confident in who you are, and that you are a good person and deserve respect – unless you speak up and get out there and be seen – and make a statement.

This is what the Stonewall riots were all about in NYC and elsewhere, and it’s been a long hard road. It’s important to keep marching, and keep a public visibility, as it’s human nature for the general public to not care about any individual, smaller group, if it doesn’t affect them personally.

Skirobme put it very well, I certainly couldn’t have stated it better.

Dave, I know your painting doesn’t mean any harm or wish to be ignorant or demean any cause or group. It seems kind of “bro” humor, and could be the start of a “bromance” movie, perhaps with the next group of signs demanding free drinks – and free taxi rides home – for single men on a bar-crawl, desperately hoping to meet some females – any females. There’s some silly, fun humor in there somewhere.

Cathy

Jon

Marching up a wall as well as on the sidewalk!
                                        Silly fun, but, in fact, every day of the week is heterosexual day as we are not limited in our legal rights as some of our Gay neighbors are limited.
                                        Let us all march together!

By-the-way, anyone wishing to debate the issue of rights – of any kind – may feel free to do so in the Debate Forum.

dave woody

OK….having read and re-read and re-read again some replies here, I think I understand what is being said, that heterosexuality is so commonplace that it does not deserve being celebrated, en-masse.

dave woody

I might take this to the debate forum, as Jon has suggested.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.