WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2010, 10:59 PM
A Local Legend
Mid Missouri

Hails from United States
Re: Transfer Paper Discussion

I'm getting in this kind of late but I use the white transfer paper for black boards. It gets really lite during the scratching sometimes and since I use color in my work most of the time I just go back over the lines with colored pencil the same color as I will be using with the colored inks. I might have several colors on the board, green grass, brown tree, orange tiger, etc. It tends to blend in better than white and when I am doing a bigger board than my transfer paper I just move the paper around until I get everything transfered.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Lord of the Arts
Vibank SK CANADA

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuzin Susan
In place of transfer paper, I've also found that just putting your sketch straight over the board then applying pressure while tracing it (ball point pen works fine) actually leaves a mild depression in the board that can be seen quite easily.<snip>-Susan

I use a method quite similar to Susan's. In the past I would make a complete drawing in my sketch book, trace the drawing with light-weight tracing paper. More recently I've found a somewhat heavier weight tracing paper and I've been making my drawings directly on the tracing paper. I then place the tracing paper over the board and re-trace the lines with a ball-point pen. As Susan mentioned above, the ball-point pen makes an impression into the surface of the board. My work surface is at an angle and with the overhead lighting in my studio I can quite easily see the impression of the lines from the ball-point pen on the board. Tracing paper comes in a variety of sizes and is reasonably priced, too.

I will say that when I first started scratching ten years ago I used to be able to see the ball-point pen impressions on the board even if the board was laid flat on the table. But no more. Aint gettin' older grand?

- Tania

#33   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2010, 11:41 PM
Veteran Member
Ennis, Mt. USA

Hails from United States

I am with Les. I use a projector that I got from Blick to do large boards. I need to scale down the print to fit into the projector but then can project the image to any size I want. It is a projector called Prism by Artograph. I originally bought it to do oil on canvas but It works for scratch. You sometimes have to be creative to see the image and transfer it , but all I need is a rough outline and hair direction. Hope this helps.
Bonnie
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Enthusiast
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

I just bought a box of the Saral and find that it transfers light. I used the kind that came in packs before and the lines were more visible. But I have 20 sheets in the box so I'm just going to have to get used to it.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Cleveland, OH

Hails from United States

I use graphite paper to transfer the main outline of the drawing/photo/whatever reference I use, then scratch out those lines, then I use a 2HB pencil and lightly sketch in what I need to get scratched out.... just the only method I am comfortable doing for now. I am really wanting to try that white graphite paper and see if it's a better adjustment for me to use.