WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Teacher's Toolbox
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2019, 11:35 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
Re: Can Drawing be Learned by Everyone?

tons of great advise, above, so i'll just pose a question that i didn't see mentioned yet ... ntl, do you use/recognize/take advantage of negative space when you're drawing/painting?

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2019, 03:30 PM
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntl
A recent thread here is titled, "CAN DRAWING BE TAUGHT?"
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1425539

I've been struggling with drawing and painting. Especially these last few months. I was never a very good drawer. Even painting, I am slow, always have been, and it is really hard for me. I finally have a success here and there, but still, after all this time, all this work, it shouldn't be this hard, or take as long as it does...

Natural talent is wonderful but determination is more important than talent. You can do anything, if you have enough determination. Don't worry about how long it takes - that's completely beside the point. The outcome is all that counts. Most people I know consider me talented. They tell me so. I paint, play classical guitar, write stories, and do - myriad other things. Actually I don't have any talent. I'm a faker - they just don't know it. When I hear great guitarists, read great writing, see great paintings - I know my best is nothing compared with them. It's less than insignificant. But, when I dismiss that idea and just evaluate my work critically, well, ok it sucks. As you said, I have my successes here and there.

I never thought I had a smidgen of aptitude for artistic drawing or painting. Technical drawing, yes (as a draftsman years ago). But every time I tried to just do a drawing - a person, or a scene I had in mind - I'd wind up tearing up the paper.

Several months ago, I decided (despite my lack of aptitude) that I was going to do drawings and paintings. I've posted my stuff on the site. I'm 67 and never had an art lesson. I don't have the slightest idea of what I'm doing. But I'm loving it.

I'm not a real painter. I'm pretending. But a lot of people don't know that.
And if I pretend really really well, after some time, I won't know I'm pretending either.

Last edited by MarcF : 01-25-2019 at 03:34 PM.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2019, 08:42 PM
Lord of the Arts

La, negative space? Yes, but only now, so not really all along since I started this journey. Not as a "freehand" exercise, but of course when working on a Bargue plate, for instance, or transferring elements of a photo etc to a painting support.
I'm working on two oil paintings now. One I am measuring each element as carefully as I can, often more than once before placing marks. This is the first time I'm attempting this copy, it's pretty complicated for me. I get lost in marking, even as I work along. Negative space is very important here.

The elements in the other painting I measure after placing marks, more as a check to be sure things are somewhat accurately placed and sized. I am more aware of NS here, too, but this is the third time recently I am working on it. The others are smaller, about 6x8, this is 11x14. I hope to do it again, 16x20, and I will measure beforehand.

"The eye can see only what the mind is prepared to comprehend" Henri Bergson
When I tried a copy of this painting a few years ago, at the same size as the painting I have, 16x20, it was a disaster. I was not ready. I am getting there now.

I get some understanding of one element and work on that until another came into focus. Then I work on that as well as the other, adding more elements as I am ready. Seems to me now that I am working/more aware of NS, as well as size and shape, and atmospheric and linear perspectives.

And texture, and...

All of your responses have been helpful. Thanks!