Home Forums Explore Subjects Portraiture Portraiture Forum Library Archives SeptOct. Portrait Challenge: Russian Artists!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 191 total)
  • Author
    NancyMP

These three Russian artists were outstanding for almost a century from the 1860s to the 1950s. First let’s present

Il’ya Repin, 1844-1930 “A Gallen-Kallelan Muotokova”

“Study of an Old Man”

“Ivan the Terrible and his son Ivan on November 16, 1581”

and “Natalia Nordmannin Muotokova”

He had a wide variety of style and subject matter, and used it in brilliant fashion!

The next one, many of you know. He was a student of Repin’s and he emigrated to America and painted Hispanics, Native American Indians, Caucasians and a variety of expressively swift, energetic portraits.

He is one of my favorites, and is honored at the Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City with a special alcove of his works. There is a padded bench in the exhibit to sit on while studying his work at leisure.

Repin’s student was the famous
        Nicolai Fechin, 1881-1955 “Indian girl”

“The Baby Doll”

“Virgina Caldwell”

Another great Russian artist of the nineteenth century was
        Valentin Serov, 1865-1911 “Self Portrait”

“Portrait of Maria Lvova”

“Isabella”

This challenge will be hosted by more than one of us…

I can see right now that you’re really going to enjoy this one! And I’m eager to see your work!

Nancy http://nancyparkfineart.com
        All human beings are dream beings. Dreaming ties all mankind together. - Jack Kerouac

Everyone

Great! Something challenging and educational — some passionate Russians! :clap:

Looking forward to this challenge! :thumbsup:

Cheers, Lauren
            https://www.facebook.com/LaurenFosterMacLeod/
            Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lauren.fosterm/

doppler

Looks a great challenge. :clap: :clap: Count me in!

Annie
                "On the other hand, you have different fingers".
                Steven Wright
                My Flickr Site

bjornjo

great paintings. ok i imagine some of these are bigger. Guess i need to go color then will be great fun(/disaster ) and test my mixing skills (i have a full spectrum palette so got plenty of choises). but maybe easier with oils altough i only used it for doing block studys with painting knife. so maybe time to try brushes and i guess use some medium ok this will be a great challenge on every plane but i will try. time to sleep just hope ivan the terrible wont show up.
                    ok now im commited todo something atleast will be a pleassure to see everyones paintings

nancy where are these photos from?

"it’s done through colors, through color combinations of different intensities and depths in a certain color scheme that creates the illusions of reality There is no great painting, no fine painting that hasn’t got a great color quality.” henry hensche

NancyMP

Bjornjo, most of the ones by Fechin and all of the Repins are from ARC, and here is the link[/URL] to that. The Serov ones I couldn’t find there and found some copies by searching Google.

I was considering searching by the names of the paintings in a museum site, but unfortunately, not all art museums are listed in my resources. I invite anyone who has access to better refs to post them, but one does need to consider two things. There was a period of time in the 20th century in which Russian paintings were not very accessible, and the more impressionistic style of some of these would not be more easily read even if a larger copy were available.

All human beings are dream beings. Dreaming ties all mankind together. - Jack Kerouac

lovin art

Nance, Beautiful .:clap: .. Ill watch from the side lines I wont have time at school I guess …:( :o :cat:

dominika

Oh dear it will be bit difficult challenge for me. But I think i will join and I hope it won’t be disaster! I’m sure your works will be great.:)
                                Nancy, are beginners invited too?

Dominika[/SIZE]
                                [/B] [/COLOR]

roy-p

Nancy, this is wonderful! I don’t know if I’ll be joining in (hopefully I will) but to just read through your thread is such an awe-inspiring experience. Thank you so much!

P r o s e n [/I]j i t . R o y[/B][/COLOR]

Flickr[FONT=Verdana] | Website | Blog[/COLOR]

NancyMP

Oh dear it will be bit difficult challenge for me. But I think i will join and I hope it won’t be disaster! I’m sure your works will be great.:)
                                        [B]Nancy, [/B]are beginners invited too?

Dominika, Everyone is invited! I’m tempted to start out with a Fechin; he’s one of my favorites. I like the Indian girl very much.

I think the trick to Fechin especially, is to load your brush and make one stroke where you would make many, otherwise. That retains the freshness.

NancyMP

Thank you, Prosenjit! They’re awe-inspiring, and will take some valiant effort to approach their mastery!

Sandra, you can do the last one, surely, with your love of drawing? Her eyes are to die for!

GaryNorthants

A fine challenge :) Count me in too
                                                Best wishes
                                                Gary

“It’s never too late to be who you might have been. —George Eliot aka Mary Ann Evans

NancyMP

:clap:That is so beautiful, Dana!

LGHumphrey

There are 540 Repins and 219 Serovs at wikipaintings.

http://www.wikipaintings.org/en/alphabet

Click on the name of the artist, then click on “All Works Chronologically,” to see how the artist progressed.

Edit: When searching Google Images for Fechin, remember that in Russia he was known as Feshin, so try both of them.

Lawrence Humphrey
                                                        Torrelles, Spain

bjornjo

Dana wow that was quick and nice looking. i saw you had done fisher girl by repin on your site you should show that one aswell that is a very good portrait and nice expression

"it’s done through colors, through color combinations of different intensities and depths in a certain color scheme that creates the illusions of reality There is no great painting, no fine painting that hasn’t got a great color quality.” henry hensche

bettythecat

Great subject this month Nancy , I’m gonna join in looks like fun

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 191 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.