Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone QOTD: How important are earth colors to your palette?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Marshall

How important are earth colors to you palette?

Which earth colors do you prefer?

I suppose maybe if you like landscapes they would be important. But what about other types of paintings?

Enjoy.

Marshall
        Living the retired life in NE Florida

My favorite color color is Orange. My favorite pigment is quinacridone burnt orange from D.Smith.

I struggled leaving that off a 4 color limited palette posed in the other thread. In fact, I’m considering to drop the half pans of buff titanium and quinacridone burnt orange off my palette and replace with a full pan of quinacridone burnt orange.

I love it.

In fact, I’d rub quinacridone burnt orange all over my body if people wouldn’t mistake me for a politician. :lol: (Sorry couldn’t resist)

Earth without art is just "eh".

briantmeyer

Skin tones as well, burnt sienna ala carte, or as a team (da vinci naples yellow, da vinci naples yellow deep, venetian red, burnt umber, caput mortum) are capable of making exact skin tones with opacity.

If my Palette does not have burnt sienna I premix one from pyrrole orange + blue, or use benzimida brown. These let me do staining only palettes and fake my earth tones.

PapaGeorgie

QoR offers a set of six “earth colors” in 5 ml tubes:
                Indigo
                Sap Green
                Naples Yellow
                Venetian Red
                Transparent Brown Oxide
                Raw Umber
                Sometimes I limit my palette to them…for the challenge :)

madametj

How important are earth colors to you palette?

Which earth colors do you prefer?

I suppose maybe if you like landscapes they would be important. But what about other types of paintings?

Enjoy.

Earth tones are also very import for portrait painting! To me, at least.

I can get most fair to medium tones starting out with Raw Sienna. For fair tones I water it done a lot and add a good amount of pink. For more tan skin I stick closer to the mass tone.

Jaune Brilliant No. 2 / Flesh Tint / Naples Yellow Reddish is not a versatile color, and not a good mixer as it contains white, but I love it because it’s such a great convenience color for pale skin tones.

For brown and dark brown skin tones burnt sienna and ultramarine blue and be used to get a very wide range of browns from light red brown all the way down to nearly black. Burnt Umber can be used as a short cut for darker skin, but you’ll probably need Burnt Sienna for the lighter areas anyway, depending on how the subject is lit.

There are many other earth tones that can be used of course, but if I had to pick just two I’d say Raw Sienna and Burnt Sienna.

Tyler Alexy

Join me on my experimental art adventures!
                    Instagram |YouTube

calvin_0

I paint a lot of landscape, so I use a lot of brown.. but my palette dont have a brown because after adding Burnt Umber (PBr7) into my palette, I notice that it’s not very useful other than mixing browns and blacks..

so I replace it with Pyrrole Orange R.S (PO73).. even if it’s technically a warm red, it serve as my mixing brown on my palette but it not as limited as having a brown like Burnt Umber.

rabbitone

The earths I use on a consistent basis are a warm yellow earth like Yellow Ochre(PY43), a warm neutral orange like Quinacridone Burnt Orange(PO48) or Burnt Sienna (Pbr7), a red earth like Indian Red (PR101) and a cool dark earth brown Burnt Umber(PBr7).

I use these earths to paint in plein air and landscapes. A primary use of earths for me is to make neutrals. Vibrant colors don’t sing without neutrals. Light doesn’t shine without darkness. So in my paintings these neutrals created from earths build the balancing act.

One paint combination to make basic grey I have been using forever (before we landed on the moon) is with Yellow Ochre. I use three primary colors, such as alizarin crimson for red, yellow ochre for yellow and French ultramarine for blue. The color temperature can be made warmer by using more alizarin crimson or cooler by using more French ultramarine. Essentially, this method is the same as using two complementary colors (one primary and one secondary) to mix gray: red and green, blue and orange, and yellow and purple. Then in more recent years I started using the combination of Ultramarine + Burnt Sienna as a basic grey (or Jane’s Grey with Daniel Smith).

Eliminate timidity. Failure is only experience to get us to the next level.

Ok, humor aside.

Earth colors are important to my palette, The role that my earth colors play is primarily in support for the higher chroma primary pigments but are used in all my paintings. Used to lower chroma, for granulation, for opacity, or other unique properties and traditional uses. Depends on my subject. Wildlife, Architecture, Landscapes, Human Figure are most of my subjects… so props to those doing portraits!

So Q. Burnt Orange PO48 is a hue easily mixed from Perylene Maroon PR179 and Nickel Azo Yellow/Transparent Yellow PY150,, which are both a staple on every one of my palettes, so PO48 is not important if I want that hue. It is important when I paint things like clouds reflecting low lying sunlight against a blue sky. The hue mixture described above has beautiful separation properties wet into wet, but PY150 would not normally be desirable dropped into blue pigment skies, although it might for water.

Earth yellows are helpful in preventing green skies and clouds, mix natural looking (if not a bit drab) greens, and some have useful opacity. I keep transparent yellow oxide PY42, W&N yellow ochre PY43, and W&N gold ochre PY42 on my studio palette. If I could only keep one earth yellow I’d choose PY42 flavor, probably the Transp. Y. Oxide.

Earth browns. D. Smith Burnt umber PBr7 makes any warm mix a bit cooler in color temperature without risk of overpowering. Subtle granulation adds texture and interest to mixes as well. I use it often in combination with PO48. Speaking of granulation, D. Smith Goethite PY43 (is this the lowest chroma yellow pigment ever?) I love it for that property alone, but really it’s a not very important pigment to My palettte.

Earth reds. PR101 Has many nice flavors, but I mostly use W&N burnt Sienna, and Indian red. I really like D. Smith quinacridone burnt scarlet PR206, for many of the same reasons as PO48. It seems to resist making purple when dropped into blue washes, just get in and out without fussing too much.

Earth Greens (LOL, WUT?) , I include D.Smith as an earth green in my palette. It spans hues from yellow, to green, to browns, granulates like mad… acts and handles like many earths. I like mixing it with W&N FUMB PB29, and a touch of PR206 for easy variegated vegetation painted contre-jour. Very useful pigment but I can easily go too far if I don’t control myself…fortunately it’s low staining.

So, yes, they’re important, but they get less credit than they deserve for the role they play because they do things other pigments can’t or can’t without difficulty, IMO..

I love all the pigments….now I wonder how much a drum of PO48 might cost delivered?

Earth without art is just "eh".

Harold Roth

I do not use any earth colors in watercolor, even though I do paint landscapes. But my landscapes usually incorporate a lot of blue and are not Naturalist. Often they are primarily blue and yellow or blue, pink, and yellow.

I use earth colors in oil paintings and especially love Italian Pozzuoli Earth. Italian Pompeii Red Earth, Spanish Black Earth, Italian Black Roman Earth, and Italian Terre Verte. These are wonderfully juicy and vibrant in oil but the equivalent I’ve found in wc are dull. I don’t know why.

rabbitone

…So Q. Burnt Orange PO48 is a hue easily mixed from Perylene Maroon PR179 and Nickel Azo Yellow/Transparent Yellow PY150,, which are both a staple on every one of my palettes, so PO48 is not important if I want that hue. ….

I have found that Quinacridone Burnt Orange, made with the single pigmeant PO48 makes a fantastic range of colors when mixed with a blue like Phthalo Blue. However, when I substitute for the single pigment burnt Orange PO48, a mixture of Perylene Maroon PR179 and Nickel Azo Yellow/Transparent Yellow PY150 they do not give me the same results (i.e. as PO48 would)when mixed with a blue like Phthalo Blue.

Must be my shaking old hand…

Eliminate timidity. Failure is only experience to get us to the next level.

Ted B.

In watercolors I have all 5 of the common earths, though I consider Burnt Umber as a warm-dark than a color to use for itself. Probably Yellow Ochre, the reddish Burnt Sienna and the slightly-greenish Raw Umber get the most use. Raw Sienna not so much.

Radical Fundemunsellist

Twiggalina

Earth colours are very important on my palette as I paint animals mostly. I love love love Daniel Smith’s Yellow Ochre as it’s a beautiful colour and also transparent. I also like DS’s Burnt Umber. Oddly I don’t use Burnt Sienna that much as it always seems to be a just a bit too red for my liking.

lambentLogic

With 7 colors I was using PR101 and transparent yellow oxide on nearly every painting …

Transparent red oxide does a lot for me in acrylics; still adapting to having an opaque red PR101 in watercolor rather than transparent orange.

Can always use more variations of yellow. The earth yellows are great for a lot of applications.

Also use raw umber a lot in acrylics and plan to get it in watercolor; only reason I don’t is the cheaper grade paints mix it as a hue for some reason. Pretty cheap in artist-grade paints, though, so might as well.

I’m sure I’d enjoy more variations on them, but any more than 3 on my palette and we’ve gone beyond ‘important’ and into ‘fun’.

C&C welcome
                                                Etsy: FineArtAnn

The earths are very important on my palette for pretty much everything I paint.

I use yellow ochre PY42 and permanent alizarin crimson PV19 for my skin tone base. I can neutralize it somewhat by adding a little burnt sienna PBr7. Yellow ochre PY42 is a good colour for shading paler yellows such as azo PY151.

I love using W&N’s version of burnt sienna PR101, along with Quinacridone Burnt Orange PO48 for shading yellows and oranges. Can they be considered vibrant earths? They really do add “life”.

Raw umber PBr7 is beautiful in tree limbs and trunks… but I use it more saturated to define darks in hair and fur. And in very weak washes, it’s perfect for toning down whites so that they’re not so stark.

Burnt sienna PBr7 or Raw umber mixed with ultramarine blue PB29 make everything from black to pale grey. It’s a beautiful mix that granulates adding textures as a bonus.

Burnt sienna PBr7 is a good neutralizer. When mixed with sap green, for example, it creates a really pretty olive green. With permanent alizarin, it creates a lovely blood red that’s deep and rich.

Char --

CharMing Art -- "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." Leonardo DaVinci

Define “earth”? Do you mean, pigments that were traditionally mined from mud and similar (such as red ocher, PR101, etc.), or do you mean paints that provide a color within the range of brown to orange (with mixed or single pigments), or do you mean pigments themselves that range within brown to orange, or do you mean (as with Daniel Smith Primatek) paints made with actual hard stones ground up in them to act as pigment? Each of the selections leaves something out — Terre Verte PBR7, for example, a traditional “earth” color of one sort or another; and Viridian is actually a ground-up stone; so is Lapis Lazuli, which we make synthetically now and call it Ultramarine; and PR101 ranges among a wide variety of hues and chromas; whereas most manufacturers seem to think that any paint labeled “red ocher” should be just one particular shade of reddish brown even though the “legal” pigment of red ocher has that wide range; and so on …

-----
                                                Certified Closet Management Engineer, Slung Watercolor Society of America

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.