WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Animal and Wildlife Subjects
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2018, 11:47 AM
Enthusiast
Johnstown, Pennsylvania, USA

Hails from United States
Re: Getting to Know Each Other

Nikki, I saw some of your outstanding work on Deviant Art, and am so glad you are joining us. The sheep will be a welcome addition!
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2018, 11:13 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Joy - Ive re-sized your photo and added it to your Thread about "Who you are".
I cant delete your large photo (in your 2nd post) without deleting that whole post which is included with it.

Moderator; Animals & Wildlife Forum Floral & Botanical Forum Watermedia Forum
My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2018, 11:37 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Oh, TY so much Vivien! That was very kind of you to help me out. I am fine w/ your deletion of the entire post #58, as my photo is so large it may scare others!
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2018, 03:17 PM
Germany

Hails from Germany

Why should it scare anyone Joy?!! You have a lovely face.

My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2018, 11:17 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Thank you, Chammi, but I did not realize it would come out that large and don't want to appear as if I am taking over the thread!

I would dearly love to see others post their "story" here!
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2018, 11:09 PM
Enthusiast
Westfir, Oregon

Hails from United States

I'm pretty new to Wet Canvas but will use the old cliche that it's "better late than never" to get to know everyone and share who I am.

I'm 72 years old and a great-grandmother several times over. I'm going to Oregon to meet some of the newer "greats" at the end of this month.

I'm working on my skills with watercolor right now. I painted with oils for quite a few years but now I prefer the use of watercolors. I'm not very good with them yet, but I'm working on learning by doing.

I have a disease that's narrowing my spinal canal so I use a mobility walker and a motorized chair if I'm out and about. It took me years to give in and use them, but finally I just decided to go for it. I fall down a lot sometimes, but I've never really hurt myself. No broken bones and usually not even bruises. I guess 40 years of abuse was good for something----I learned how to fall. I'm no longer abused and I really enjoy my life. I've been in recovery from alcohol for 33 years now so my life is good on all fronts. I'm glad to be here.

I'm posting 2 photos. Both show my little long-haired chihuahua, Gypsy. She'll be 4 years old on June 28th. She's very small. I've had her since she was 7 weeks old and fit in the palm of my hand. The second one shows one of the things my daughter brings me every once in awhile. She got it at the Dollar Tree and it really works great for a small set of brushes I have that fit into the handle of the container. I think it's really wonderful and I want to get a couple more.
Attached Images

#67   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2018, 11:33 PM

Hails from New Zealand

Hi there Ellen - and a warm welcome to the Animal & Wildlife Forum
I'm Vivien or (Viv, as most call me ) and Chammi and myself are the 2 Moderators on this Forum.

Thank you for telling us about yourself. It's always so interesting to hear other members stories! We really feel we begin to know you all when we hear from you.
We also love to hear about your animal friends and your little Chihuaua Gypsy, looks such a sweetie!
I have a small Jack Russell who has just turned 3 years old. She would be a lot/ bigger than your little dog now, but when I bought her home as a 6 week old puppy (3years ago) she slept the first month in my cozy slipper....she was so tiny she fitted in there nicely! I also own a 25 year old Miniature Horse who I've had from a 6 month old foal, so at 25 years of age, he's pretty special to me. We live on a 10 acre farm near a southern city at the bottom on New Zealand.
And yes, I'm a grandmother too (at 74 years of age ). And my hubby and I have 4 grandchildren - the oldest 18 years the youngest 14 years, so they are growing up so quickly now! Sometimes I wonder where all those years went! The 2 oldest gran-daughters, begin University next year.

If you would like to see and hear more about our members lives (and their animals) you are most welcome to post in our "Animal Inn" our Chatroom. We chat about everything, not just animals....anything that is of interest to us and we often post photos also.

The link to our Chatroom here; http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1447103

My Blog; Art By Vivien

Last edited by Vivien Maloney : 06-09-2018 at 12:15 AM.
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2018, 02:33 AM
Enthusiast
Westfir, Oregon

Hails from United States

I hear so much about the Jack Russell terriers, about how smart and full of energy they are. Yours is beautiful.

Before I got Gypsy I had a Miniature Pinscher named Taz. He was really a character. He got cancer so I had to have him euthanized before I moved here to Washington. He was 15 years old. He loved cat food and I usually fed the cats and him at pretty much the same time of day. He'd sneak the cat's food. When he'd hear me calling "here kitty kitty" he'd come running too. But I lived in a mobile home park and every morning and evening, we'd all walk our dogs. He'd escape sometimes and when he did, he wouldn't come back unless I called "here kitty kitty" so I felt kind of foolish out calling "here kitty kitty" to get my dog to come back. lol

Having him euthanized was heart-wrenching. You know how our pets become like members of the family. I was hoping he'd pass on his own, but he didn't and I was already moving up here to Washington and there's no way he could have gone on with his life comfortably anymore no matter where he was.
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2018, 02:48 AM

Hails from New Zealand

Ellen - yes I know the pain of having to have a beloved dog euthanised.

My previous Jack Russel "Drum" who members here knew very well because of our Chat room, went to the Rainbow Bridge when he was 17 years old and my beloved "Blossom" my Newfoundland, also left this life when she was 15 years old, 4 years ago. The hardest thing Id ever done was to let my beloved dogs go. But we have to think of them and put their health first no matter how much hurt we go through. We can do that for them out of love for them, but it is so very hard. My Blossom was loyal unto death. I will never forget her and I carry her with me in my heart, forever.

My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2018, 07:36 AM
A Local Legend
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

It’s lovely to meet you, Ellen. You sound as if you’ve triumphed over major disadvantages in life. You little dog is sweet. I have bigger dogs but have had a small Chinese Crested Piwder Puff and really like small dogs.

Good luck with your watercolours. I look forward to seeing you in the “Animal Inn” and to seeing photos from you.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2018, 04:58 PM
Germany

Hails from Germany

Hallo Ellen,
How nice to get to know you . I'm sorry to read about your disability but hats off to you for making the effort to get around. Your little dog is too sweet for words and I am sure is a wonderful companion. It is always so heartbreaking to lose a beloved pet. I also had a Jack Russel called Muffin and I loved her to bits. She is no longer alive and after six years I still miss her so much. She was 14 when we had to put her to sleep.
I live in Germany in a lovely part of Bavaria and know most of the pets names in the neighbourhood but to be honest always forget the names of their owners!!
Enjoy your watercolour painting and perhaps you will do a portrait of Gypsy and share it on our forum. Warm welcoming hug from me.

#72   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2018, 08:03 PM
Enthusiast
Oregon

Hails from United States

Hi! I've posted in different forums so some of you know a little about me. My great-great grandparents came from Baden Germany and moved to Ohio. I was raised in Las Vegas where I met my Navy career husband and traveled from San Diego, California to Davisville Rhode Island and Guantanamo Bay Cuba to Adak Alaska and in between. Now living in Oregon.

When we were in Alaska My husband brought home some art supplies someone abandoned. I tried to follow the line on a canvas to make a totem pole and discovered the canvas wasn't straight so the totem looked like the leaning tower and I didn't know how to clean my brushes.
I couldn't really find Art schools local but I eventually found a few friends that knew how to clean brushes and paint after he retired.
My family wanted me to wait until I was good to buy good supplies or to sell. What if I was never good so I sell anyway and use that money to buy good supplies.
Until my husband got sick I was Teaching Tai Chi and a Volunteer at our local Prison for my Toastmaster club. For a while, we met at the other end of the prison next to the art room so I would go in early to visit with the artists.
This year I got sick with pneumonia while I was on vacation and when my sister-in-law took me to the dr and the lady asked about income I said Artist and my sister in law said hobby. I said business she said hobby. business. hobby. Etc Until my brother in law said enough. I guess it doesn't matter how much you make or sell art is always a hobby.
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2018, 04:10 PM
Germany

Hails from Germany

Hi Mary. You have certainly had a tough road to becoming an ARTIST - have to sort that sister-in -law of yours out!!! Baden, where your grandparents came from is such a pretty town. I had a good giggle over your totem pole painting. Love the way you can enjoy the humour and there are many painful moments along the artistic journey. They just made one stronger and more determined a long as you don't become discouraged. Keep enjoying the process and good luck with the sale of your paintings. Thanks so much for sharing. Nice to get to know a new friend on our forum.

#74   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2019, 04:28 PM

Hi Everyone.
I'm Melody McFarland and I live in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA. I have been obsessed with anything that's not human since I was a kid. I'm especially interested in birds, dogs and insects. I have a biology degree because, according to my parents, "you need to do something that will make you some money". So I worked in a microbiology laboratory for a few years until my husband's school and job took us around the world and we ended up back home in Lancaster.
I have the great fortune now to be a homemaker and can devote much time to painting which I neglected during our travels. I do both watercolor and oil but they've both been a lifelong love. It's only lately at 49 years of age that I started to paint regularly and with some seriousness.
I also garden, am into photography, have orchids, read quite a bit, and spend a large part of my day with our three dogs.
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2019, 04:44 PM
Germany

Hails from Germany

Hallo Melody, nice to get to know you. Good that you are now settled and able to enjoy your painting. You are very talented and it is great to have you with us on our forum. Lucky you to have three dogs to love and take care of. Would be nice to see some photos of them.