Home Forums The Think Tank Creativity What are you Working on Today?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 4,546 total)
  • Author

I usually post this question in the Creativity Forum, but I thought I would post it in the Cafe to see what everyone might be up to art-wise.

Let us know and post pics if you have them.

If you’re not working on any art today, maybe you can talk about something you’ve been working on lately or plan to work on soon.

I love hearing about other artist’s process’, so please don’t be shy. :)

DaveCrow

Don’t have a picture, but I started a plein air study of the burdock weed growing outside my studio door.

"Let the paint be paint" --John Marin

snoball

I am working on a portrait but I can’t post it.

If you're asking me for advice, I'm going to assume that you've run out of rational options.
            My work on Facebook

ianuk

I am presently working on my cognitive behaviour that stops me producing art.

everelusive

Im taking a new approach and trying to work faster so I dont lose interest.
                    Also trying to be more “painterly”.

This is Hathor an old Egyptian cow “goddess”, im attempting to surround her with her symbology.

OLIVE.OYL

I JUST (finally!!) finished a painting today that took 4 months to do and I think it might be…crap….although it’s sort of charming in a big dumb way because its on the big side and its a dumb idea. It’s well done (for me and my skill level) although it’s maybe a tad TOO obsessive. Not sure about ever showing it, although my kid says it’s her favorite because it’s “not weird or creepy like all your other ones.” I don’t know, is it weird to take a 2D cartoon image and make it “more real” by turning it into a 3D statue?

Anyway tomorrow, I’m starting a triptych which is inspired by a porcelain sculpture of 2 sumo wrestlers at our local museum. I’ve always liked them and last time I saw them, I took pictures from each side of the display case. They’re only about 12-15″ high, not so fat, but very white and shiny. Their hands are in the strangest of places and I’m not sure what to make of their expressions…ecstasy or annoyance or what? Can’t wait to start to see how I end up destroying that one. :rolleyes:

Don’t ask me why I would PAINT a statue but there’s something about doing that I find challenging. The last in the series will be (I think) a grid of 9 Goddess Durga faces and then I’m moving into corsets. (Haha) I’ve been looking at a lot about them lately and I can assure you that the ideas percolating are not the usual sex kitten/lingerie boudoir ones. And I’ll leave that…there.

Way to go Dave and selectedgrub.

Why can’t you post the pic snoball?

Haha ian.

I am working on a couple of things for two fundraisers. One is a “pin drawing,” which is just sewing pins and thread. I have to tie the thread in still.

It will look a lot like this when it’s done:

Then a little abstract (oil and paper) for another fundraiser:

And also today I designed a basic composition layout for my next new one in Photoshop:

I recently found out that I’m going to be doing a small solo show in December of some small abstracts, so I need to make a few news one to go with ones I’ve already shown pretty recently.

maryinasia

cool thread.

I’m not working on anything yet this morning. I’m still playing on wetcanvas.

Well, too much of my time today was spent recovering from last night :)
                            But other than that, I spent a lot of time closely drawing the Virginia creeper that hangs off the house, and some hyssop growing in the little back door garden, fixing a drawing I did yesterday with a model, and on the design/drawings for my next painting.

The painting was sparked by a proposition in Wittgenstein’s Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus: The limits of my language mean the limits of my world. (Die Grenzen meiner Sprache bedeuten die Grenzen meiner Welt.) It’s not something that illustrates the idea so much as sometimes literature (or music or other things) triggers odd images in my mind, which in this case kinda contradicts the proposition :lol:

Anyway, this one and the last big one I did – when something similar happened when I was reading Schopenhauer’s The World as Will and Idea (Presentation/Representation) (Die Welt als Wille und Vorstellung), which is in the most recent post on my blog. Both should be in a book related show this September.

So sooner or later I have to get focused….

Cheers;
                            Chris

C&C of all sorts always welcome! (I don't mind rude or harsh criticism.)
                            I suppose I have to do this too :p (my blog, & current work). My Visual Arts Nova Scotia page.
                            Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known - Oscar Wilde

The primary palette: Attention, observation, memory, imagination, integration, execution

Cerastes

I have been puttering with this wall lamp and finished it more or less today. I haven’t picked up the brush for a few weeks. The mood lamp is made of swizzle sticks, graph paper, a little yellow ochre craft paint and acrylic gloss varnish, and a few Oregon wildflowers I picked and pressed. I found a bright LED nightlight and plugged it into a white extension cord, which doesn’t stand out against the wall too much. I made this from a montage of ideas I saw on different decorating/tschotkie websites.
                                I may do it again/over eventually, I had pictured a little more minimalist Isamu Noguchi house and this came out sort of crafty/Etsy/Asian pseudo-ethnic. I’m thinking about making a large, boxy, minimalist hanging paper lamp for a corner of my bedroom next, but have yet to draw a design to work from.

"If we're going to be damned, let's be dammed for what we really are."
                                -Captain Picard

BeLing

There’s a show coming of Hawaii’s native species and I’m doing a watercolor of an alamo’o, a native freshwater goby, which I happen to have as a pet. After working with oils, I’m finding watercolor a real bear! Already destroyed the first attempt. I’d use oils but no time to get it dried.

OLIVE.OYL

More embarrassment.

You all talk about the “ugly stage of a painting” and no doubt I’m there right now. This is the sumo (will be called “wrestle”) painting I started today. The basic shapes are blocked in and next I’ll tighten or soften the line edges, and darken or lighten (or change) the gray color. The plan is to leave as much of the natural canvas as it is but, we’ll see. Floating around in my head is the thought to maybe use glossy white house paint in the white parts. The background is from an antique japanese stencil pattern which continues on all three panels (only 30×30 each) and that too, will just be one pale color (tbd) over the natural white background. The only other color will be on the diaper pant things. I suppose I could look up the “proper” name but…nah.

Note the grumpy guy’s hand placement. And yet, the other guy is smiling like a fool.

Ha! I sounded sort of like a grown-up person on the avant garde thread and now I sound like I’m 12.

I suppose the pressure to maintain constant maturity is just too hard for me to bear…:)

snoball

I don’t think this is an ugly stage Olive, it is very stylistic and I will look forward to seeing it finished. As to maturity, leave that for old folks. :D

If you're asking me for advice, I'm going to assume that you've run out of rational options.
                                            My work on Facebook

CinderellaG

Hi everyone, I am back to posting and reading a little more…I am trying to finish a rather large painting of The Maroon Bells in Colorado.. I did it from a photo my friend took while on vacation…I just dont know how to call it “done”…any ideas?

Cindy G.

CinderellaG

Sorry..I should have listed 24x 36. Oil on canvas…lol

Cindy G.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 4,546 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.