Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Gallery No Dogs in the Kitchen

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Based on a photo of my friend’s beloved if slightly exasperating corgi. 8”x10” on Stonehenge Aqua paper, in a limited palette of Indian Red, Transparent Yellow Oxide, and Ultramarine Blue, all from Daniel Smith.

I worked on the dog’s face for a really long time and still didn’t get it exactly how I wanted. But my friend did recognize her dog instantly!

Kathryn in Seattle

FrankM

Precious. Nicely done!

FrankM

KiwiKate

Cute!

Kate
            Henderson, Nevada
            C&C always welcomed!

"Never ruin a good day by thinking about a bad yesterday". -- Anon.

Zeldaquatic
                ErnstG

Super – these eyes!

Ernst

Meine Seiten - My website
                    Malen ist nicht alles im Leben - aber ohne Malen ist alles nichts!
                    Painting is not everything in life - but without painting everything is nothing!

westok

Love the expression on it’s face. Made me smile this morning. Thanks.

Mark

tmwilliams

Charming!

rossmarie

Lovely expression! What an immaculate shiny clean floor – not a dog biscuit in sight!

Mike :)

ArtySinger

Lovely ,made me smile. Suggestion You could try a closer crop of the painting from the top of the cabinets down to make it feel more intimate. Just an idea!

Sandie
                                    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/sandiecroftart.html

You could try a closer crop of the painting from the top of the cabinets down to make it feel more intimate. Just an idea!

I tried playing around with cropping on the reference photo, and I found that if the dog wasn’t midline in the photo (like halfway up horizontally) or if he was a larger part of the composition, it completely broke the feeling I was looking for of an enormous forbidden space with this hopeful doggo perched on the very edge of it. I was very surprised by how much the proportions affected the feeling of the piece!

In the end, I chose to extend the painting outside the frame of the original photo (it was an Instagram pic, so it was square) rather than cropping it down, and tried to bring focus onto the dog with detail work rather than size or brightness. He’s actually even smaller in the original pic, but I’m not skilled enough to render the expression on his face at a smaller scale. Instead, I punched up the reflections in the floor a bit to try and make it feel a little more exclusionary.

I may take another run at this painting to see if I can’t get the dog’s face a little closer to what I want.

Kathryn in Seattle

pa-paw

I’m familiar with that look. You’ve warmed my heart with your art today. Nicely done! :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pa-paw/
                                        [FONT=Calibri]Photography and Art Work

oldey

Love that image! Corgis are a favorite of mine:)

hoylander

This is so cute, Kathryn! :) Love the way you’ve painted the doors and floor!

Joan :wave:

Adorable! That face really made me laugh. Such a perfect expression.

ndyna

:D Kathryn , this is so cute !

Dhana

"Do or do not. There is no try"- Yoda

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.